Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #271  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

Ive been reading alot on intuitive eating. I was always thin until I had kids. I think my problem developed during preg. You are given this chart of food you HAVE to eat during the day and while nursing...so I was eating even when i didnt want to, and I think i lost touch with my full/hunger signals. Before kids, I RARELY finished everything on my plate, and was a very slow eater. I can put away a full plate of food in about 30 seconds now (habit i picked up when babies would always cry during dinner) and I find now when im dieting, I dont really CRAVE things...but I am still eating past full and WAY too fast. I am losing weight...but how long is it going to stay gone if I keep eating more food volume than i really need? What happens when I get ahold of a chocolate cake? I once made a cake, and ate 1/2 of it...felt so guilty (OMG what will everyone think when they see I ate 1/2 of a cake???????!!!!), that I ate the other half and made another cake....took me longer to make the other cake than to eat the entire first one. Ive never been REALLY heavy....YET...but I do see some bad habits that I dont like the looks of and would like to change them. I KNOW I cant live my life forever never having pizza again...but when I get pizza, I dont want to go at it with the mindset "this is the last pizza I will ever eat so I'd better eat the whole thing"

Can somebody break down "Intuitive eating" for me? basic principals?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #272  

Chazmom and Button Eye, The IE principles are found on the first page of this thread. You are right, Button Eye, I have 10 kids and have been battling weight for 30 yr. A really good book to read that is short and very informative is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens. He lost 140 lb in a year and a half. After a few years of dieting I noticed that my problem got worse when I started doing a lot of fasting. Yesterday I posted a question about severe hunger and found a pretty good answer in the Intuitive Eating book by Everlyn Tribole and another lady (can't remember her name). It has something to do with primal hunger. When you let your body get too hungry certain hormones kick in to prevent you from starving. So it is important to listen to hunger. I think most of us can get the hunger thing right but the statisfaction thing may take a little longer to learn. Keep posting!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #273  

Sorry Button ewe, got the name wrong!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #274  

Hi everyone. I'm checking in! Hello to the new folks. I've been sick the last few days so I haven't been on at all. I will say that it's a lot easier to stay "on program" with IE when you're sick than it is when you're doing WW. On WW everything would fly out the window when I was sick because really who wants to keep track of how many points in orange juice you're downing? I'm also down 13 pounds overall since starting. I think some of that may be water weight since lately all I've been doing is drinking water and OJ!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #275  
A Rose E'er Blooming

S/C/G: 234/234/150

"Weigh" to go Sabrina! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #276  

Congratulations on the 13lb Sabrina. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #277  

Does anyone know why sometimes there are 25 new posts and a while later there are 9 pages????????? It doesn't really matter what time of day it is either. Maybe they change it on the hour. I think I've asked this before but can't remember if I got an answer.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:31 AM   #278  

Hi everyone! I cannot believe how much I have been struggling with eating intuitively. I think a lot of it has something to do with emotional eating. All of these diet thoughts have been hitting me tonight. What would be really good is reading through The Overfed Head one more time before returning it to the library and skimming through some parts of IE.

This is what has been going through my head (I'll try to describe it): The "problem" starts when I have this thought that I need to be healthy. It's a "MUST." Then I start to think of all the foods that I shouldn't eat because they aren't labeled healthy. I have mentioned dealing with the thoughts about eating like the way The Hallelujah Acres diet says, which is eating raw foods, juicing, eating NO meat and basically eating like a rabbit. Ha! Sorry to those who like to eat that way, but I don't think so! So those thoughts have come and gone a lot. It's like I'll think that eating that way is THE only way a person should eat. Like it's an absolute or something. There is SO much information out there about what's healthy and not healthy that I feel overwhelmed. I'm constantly thinking about these things. I DO want to take care of my body, but I haven't been listening to my body lately, I've been listening to what others are saying about my health and also to my emotions, which say, "feed me, feed me!"

It's been tough. I want to get over this worrying about health. It's making things worse. Have any of you dealt with this?

I apologize if I sound like a broken record. Thanks for listening!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:41 AM   #279  

Sabrina, congrats on the 13 pounds lost! Or "released" as one book I read said it. You are doing great! I'm so proud of you!! I hope you are feeling better!

Carol, you are such a great encourager on this thread. Thank you so much for your encouraging words to everyone. I really love reading your posts! Thank you for being YOU!

Button ewe--what a cute username! I'm so glad you have joined us. I agree with you, I want to eat pizza without thinking I have to eat the whole thing because it will never be there again (because it really will always be there now! Yeah!) I have had just one piece and been totally satisfied with that. Eating pizza on a diet made me want to eat the whole entire pizza. The awesome thing about IE is that you can have that pizza anytime you want, as long as you are hungry!! Whoohoo!

Chazmom, I'm going to look up Naturally Slim. Sounds interesting and a lot like IE. Awesome! I'm glad you found us. I think some of us have been posting our progress along the way. I'm still struggling through some things...like unlearning the dieting. I'm getting there though!

One thing I have noticed about myself when I eat too much is that I'll get heartburn, stomach-aches, and other stuff. It's no fun! I know it's all common-sense stuff, but wow, my body really doesn't want to be "stuffed."

I'm hoping to come on here more to post and read!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #280  

I think, without even knowing it, all this time I've been intuitive eater. My weight loss is never dramatic, but bit by bit, the fat finds its way out of my body.

Count me in this group!

Cheers,
La Agua Fresca
http://aguafresca.healthifica.com
Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #281  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

I saw this as an intuitive eating goal somewhere (forget where) but seemed great to me. Throw away some of the food on your plate. Seems easy....but I think with dieting you get into this mindset of "I have to eat *___*. I have to eat this much of *____*. This is ALL I will get and I will get hungry later, so I had better eat all of my *____*" My goal today is to chew all of my food 20 times (even if its mush...I GOTTA slow down... I swear sometimes its like I dont even taste what I am swallowing whole) and to throw away 1/4 of whatever I have on my plate.....its not like im going run out of food...I have plenty....can always go get more if i want to.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #282  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Hey everyone.

Christy you are not sounding like a broken record post as much as you want we're here to support one another and you do what you need to do to make you do better. PERIOD.

Sabrina Congratulations on the 13 lbs.

Well the eating things has been going well. I have realized I have no desire to eat breakfast it is one of those things I was doing because I was supposed to. I noticed on the weekend I didn't eat till about 11 or 12...no matter how early I got up and I ate again about 5 or 6 and I was pretty much done for the rest of the day. So I tried it on a week day. I walked past the breakfast spot. I wasn't hungry and was fine till about 10 or 11. I ate the snack I had packed...I ate again about 2 (full meal) and then had dinner at about 9 ( I worked late) I didn't keel over in hunger pains and I seemed to be just as energetic as if I had had a full breakfast. So we'll see how it goes. I did have 2 cookies (my bosses wife baked them) but usually I sneak 4 or 5 without even thinking about it, so that was some kind of improvement.

Also someone posted that they missed breakfast and were hungry the rest of the day. I think how many meals and when you eat them isn't a set in stone thing. Just like I am not interested in eating until later in the day. Maybe you body really needs that jump start in the beginning.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #283  

Aquafresca, we need all the help we can get! Christy, my problem lately is a little different though I still get those voices of healthy eating now and again. Lately I have been just soooo hungry (last 2 days) and it is hard to feel full. Everything tastes great! And I am way past menopause so it can't be TOM. Just can't figure it out. My weight is up a couple of lbs, too. Hopefully it will level off. Our family of 10 kids, spouse and grandkids are getting together at WI Dells this Fri. and Sat. Sometimes I worry that there won't be things I can eat because I can't have calcium. My last blood test about a week ago was good and I want to keep it that way. I usually have soy milk in the morning but don't want to drag it along. We'll see........ I totally agree with not having breakfast if that's how you feel. I used to be like that. Lately, though, I wake about 5 am and am starving. I usally go back to sleep but not right away. Sometimes I wish I had a couple of ounces of juice but I have to run clear downstairs to get it. I've been having pain in one foot so it has been hard to exercise.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #284  
A Rose E'er Blooming

S/C/G: 234/234/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy81 View Post
Hi everyone! I cannot believe how much I have been struggling with eating intuitively. I think a lot of it has something to do with emotional eating. All of these diet thoughts have been hitting me tonight. What would be really good is reading through The Overfed Head one more time before returning it to the library and skimming through some parts of IE.

This is what has been going through my head (I'll try to describe it): The "problem" starts when I have this thought that I need to be healthy. It's a "MUST." Then I start to think of all the foods that I shouldn't eat because they aren't labeled healthy. I have mentioned dealing with the thoughts about eating like the way The Hallelujah Acres diet says, which is eating raw foods, juicing, eating NO meat and basically eating like a rabbit. Ha! Sorry to those who like to eat that way, but I don't think so! So those thoughts have come and gone a lot. It's like I'll think that eating that way is THE only way a person should eat. Like it's an absolute or something. There is SO much information out there about what's healthy and not healthy that I feel overwhelmed. I'm constantly thinking about these things. I DO want to take care of my body, but I haven't been listening to my body lately, I've been listening to what others are saying about my health and also to my emotions, which say, "feed me, feed me!"

It's been tough. I want to get over this worrying about health. It's making things worse. Have any of you dealt with this?

I apologize if I sound like a broken record. Thanks for listening!
I so hear you! I keep finding myself battling the diet mentality. It's sort of like "Bad girl!" when I don't follow the "plan". I'm learning to wean myself off that, though, but what a struggle it is!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #285  

Did anyone see the thread "fight the fatten up for winter instinct"? Could that really bring on hunger? I couldn't believe I posted about being hungry lately and then saw that question on the new posts!!!!
Closed Thread