Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #31  
LAWL Salt Police

More on salt..

It it unavoidable in our daily diet.. Salt IS necessary for our bodies to function.. HOWEVER.. Things like fast foods, soups, canned veggies, etc.. All contain way more than we need while we're dieting..

Barbara - Delmonte makes a very good low sodium canned tomato.. I think it has 50 mgs or something like that. I use them when I make Italian fish or salsa... There are also several brands of very low sodium spaghetti sauce that I suppliment with a dash of "NoSalt" brand sodium alternative..

Another HUGE offender are processed foods and meats.. It's so important to avoid as much processed stuff like lunchmeats and cheeses. "Boars Head" brand makes a very low sodium roast beef (50 mgs) and lower sodium turkey breast (can't remember the amount, but it's lower than the other deli stuff). Both taste GREAT!!!

On working out.. Shannon.. It sounds like we have the same PT.. Working on strengthening the core improves every aspect of the workout and keeps you from getting hurt! Also, if he hasn't recommended it, try to jump rope between workout routines.. It keeps your heart rate up and negates the need for the boring treadmill.. During the majority of my weight loss period, the only working out I did was walking.. It's great for you and it's much easier on the joints.. As for jumping rope, I'd do 100, 75 and then two sets of 50 inbetween ball training or machines... Talk about a cardio workout!!!

Oh.. One more word about salt.. I haven't seen it mentioned much lately and as we have a lot of newbies... Drink plenty of water with lemon.. Fresh lemon in hot water really helps flush uneeded salt from your system and helps keep down the water weight...

Also for you newbies... After you cut your salt intake down, you will eventually begin to notice how SALLLLLLTY stuff tastes without anything added.. About 2 months into the plan, I had a McDonald's burger as a carb craver and it was SO salty, I almost couldn't finish eating it.. And to think I used to ADD salt to my Micky D's... Bleagh!!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #32  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Dan, it's so funny that you chose today to get on the anti salt soapbox! I had a turkey sandwich for lunch yesterday. I made it at home from the turkey meat I buy to make by dbfs sandwiches. I could NOT eat it, it tasted SO salty. I had to throw half of it away. It's so funny how we get accustomed to it when we eat salty food all the time.

Like Barb, I haven't switched over to low sodium canned tomatoes. I use them quite often for sauces. I'm going to make an effort to look for it at the store next time around.

Today was a loooooong day at work. I was greeted by my supervisor who handed me a tin of "spritz" shortbread cookies. AGHHH! I had one (so good!) and then walked the tin out to my car. I was so proud. Of course by the time I got out of the office, about 2 hours later than usual, I was starving and proceeded to eat a handful of the lil buggars on my drive home! I should have put them in the trunk! Oh well, I w/i for my "official" home w/i tomorrow, so we'll see how I do.

Nicole-thanks for poking your head in! Can't wait til the new year when you're really back!

Kristen-cute pic of the girls! Good luck with the remainder of the holiday season. I know it's so hard to resist those cocktails!

Jillian- have fun with DH! Thanks for the compliment!

Amy-good luck with the rest of your finals!

Felicia-are you out there? Kimberly?

A big hello to everyone else! Hope everyone is taking the time to slow down and remember what the holidays are really about for them!

Last edited by amylou7777; 12-17-2007 at 11:03 PM.
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #33  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hey everyone, long time no see! I was reading about all of the Pure centers closing and I wanted to tell all of you how sorry I was to see that. Stick close to 3FC, though, and you can do this!

Happy holidays everyone!!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #34  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Hi Katie! So good to see your post. How are you doing??????
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #35  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Good, busy. Look at you with your 45 lb loss. Great job!

My sisters and I have recently opened a clinic called "Healing Hands Reiki and Massage Therapy". I am a Reiki practicioner, plus I do medical intuitive readings for clients. I am still working my day job during the week, then working at our clinic on Saturdays. It is keeping me really busy, but I love the way we can help people. Anyways, I am still around, just trying to keep my head above water.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #36  
Time to get back on track

S/C/G: 295/295/150

Height: 5'8

oh boy... i was so worried when i went in today to WI.. thought i was going to be up again but i wasn't! i was down 4 pounds! i am so happy because i thought maybe this wasn't working or something.... but clearly it is!

i had such a POP day! i really felt like i was getting in all of my foods and i felt full all day and it was great! so hopefully i can keep this up so i can feel my best by xmas. maybe??? we will see!
michie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 AM   #37  

Height: 5'2"

Hello ladies...and Dan!! I see lots of new faces, but I also see many familiar (and SLIMMER) faces. Sorry I have been MIA, and I don't really have a good excuse. I'm back now because I can see my old habits slowly coming back. Fast food, peppermint mochas (I love them too, Dan!!), ice cream, too many starches and not enough fruits and veggies, egg nog...the list goes on and on. I decided I better jump on this fantastic board and get some inspiration before I totally spiral out of control.

I had dipped into the 120's when I last visited here (something I NEVER thought I'd see again), but now I've creeped back in the 130's. I keep telling myself it's just a few pounds, but I know from experience that if I don't reign things in now, I'll be back where I started. A lot of my bad eating is stress eating, I must admit. My mom had surgery on her neck in late October to treat cervical spinal stenosis, and is just now getting back to normal. She was the main caregiver to my youngest and also kept my oldest after school. Thankfully, I have a VERY flexible job and have been able to work at home pretty much full time since then, so that I can keep my oldest after school. And my wonderful MIL has been keeping the youngest for me. (Yes, I said wonderful and MIL in the same sentence. LOL!!) And then in late November, my oldest had her tonsils and adenoids removed. That wouldn't have been too, too bad, but she had a horrible virus the week before the surgery, and then my DH and youngest daughter were sick with the same virus while my oldest was recovering from surgery. It has NOT been fun around here!! I'm just hoping we can all stay healthy through the holidays!!

Anyway, thanks for listening, and I look forward to getting to know the newbies. Hello to Nicole, Dan, Felicia, Jillian, Kristen, Lizzy, Katy, Kim, and many others I'm sure I missed.
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Good Morning Everybody!

Just poppin in for a quick hello. Will check back in later.

I hope everyone has a great POP day. Stay warm!
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #39  
Amy

Good morning guys!

Just wanted to stop in and say a quick hello! I am off to the unemployment office to see about a tuition waiver for the spring semester. It would be such a blessing! $6000 in loans I wouldn't have to take!

Here's to a POP day!

I'm going to start a WI thread... I would have went to COD to weigh in today.
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #40  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Hip hip, hoooray!!! Kristen, Katie, and Wendy in one day!!! I knew I shoudl have gotten on here last night. I was a crochetting fool and just couldn't tear myself away!!! It is sooo good to see you oldbies!!!

Katie......congrats on your new business. It sounds very uplifiting. I really missed you!!!

Kristen.......did you see our boy wonder break Dan Marino's record on Sunday? (sorry Kimphin). It was just beautiful!!!! The girls look adorable

Wendy........you are really doing well, even if you are up a few. Dang girl.......you should be proud if you have stuck in the 130's.....but I must admit......for completely selfish reasons, I am pretty glad you are back here with us!!!

Hello eveyone...................I am sorry my personals are done for now, DS just woke up and needs some snuggle time I will check back later
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #41  
LAWL Salt Police

Mornin' ladies.. Welcome back Katie, Kristen and Wendy!!! (and you too Nicole! )

No major words of wisdom today, as my salty soap box yesterday was surely enough for you all to deal with for a while..

Just be good!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #42  
Katy66

Height: 5'6"

Good morning! Things are just so crazy at work and home with all the stuff going on for the holidays. I'm sure everyone is feeling the same way...

Did okay with my eating yesterday UNTIL our department dinner at La Paz and I was bad....very bad. That was the first time I had Mexican food since I started this thing back in February .... and of course the two Corona's didn't help either. Yikes! I've been trying to drink lots of water today.

Love the new picture Amylou!

Dan, thanks for the salt lecture...I think we need a reminder occasionally.

Welcome to all the new folks and welcome back to the faces from the past

Have a great day!
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #43  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning all.

Not much going on for me at work so it is slow, but hey, you can't take off any extra for the Holiday! What? Thats right. What a bummer.

Anyway, my goal for the Holiday season is just to stay in the neighborhood of my weight, cause I am going to eat on the 24th and 25th. Thats just a given.

Then my next goal is to kick the Luna Bar habit. I have enough to last me about another week. But lets face it, $60.00 a month for snack bars is ridiculous. I guess that will move me to the #3 plan since I am currently on #2. I think I can live with that.

Katie what is Reiki? I have never heard of it, but good luck on your new adventure.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #44  
LAWL Salt Police

$60 a month!!?? Wow! That's a lot..

Maybe you should switch to something cheaper.. The South Beach cereal bars are packed with good stuff and I think they're a lot cheaper by comparison.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #45  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2112 View Post
$60 a month!!?? Wow! That's a lot..

Maybe you should switch to something cheaper.. The South Beach cereal bars are packed with good stuff and I think they're a lot cheaper by comparison.
I agree with you Dan. I have been using the South Beach cereal bars for about 2 months now. They are 140 calories and lower in sugar and carbohydrates. Slightly lower in fiber, but slightly higher in fat and protein. I can usually get a box of 5 for $4.99 and often they are on sale or I have a coupon. I use 1 a day and since I still have LAWL lites left to use up I have been having either a lite shake or a lite hot cocoa as my second lite. I especially love the peanut butter flavor.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 60 lbs.
Current weight 140
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote