Old 07-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default The Best Life Diet Support

Here's a new thread just to discuss the Best Life Diet, since so many threads here are devoted to You on a Diet!

I've been into Bob Greene for years but never exclusively followed his plans (I read Get with the Program, I think that's what it was called and adopted some general principles). I am trying to stick with this one. I even bought the journal and wrote out the answers to the questions at the beginning of the book. I lost weight 6 years ago on a completely different plan (kept it off too, until I had babies!) but I was finding it hard to stick with this time around.

I've completed two days already. I'm trying to stick to 1500 calories a day (even though we're not supposed to be worried about limiting food...I sort of need to do that). So far I like the bedtime rule and the no alcohol rule. It's hard not to weigh myself, but I feel pretty confident that I'll be happy with how clothes fit (especially if they're not maternity clothes).

I find the book to be not very user friendly. I wish he had integrated the recipes right into the menus. I also get that he wants it to be like real life, and so he doesn't set calorie limits for each meal, but I need that sort of structure when I'm beginning a plan. I can deviate from that once I get used to portion sizes and such, but I need something up front. So I went ahead and set up a way to structure meals based on calorie counts.

Anyone try any of his recipes? I've had the broccoli pasta peanut butter dish (I don't know what it's called off the top of my head) and the cannellini walnut wraps. Good stuff! I'm not a big fan of smoothies so that knocks out about half of the breakfasts for me.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #2  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi Amy - the Best Life group seems to be pretty quiet these days - but hopefully you can stir up some interest again.

Feel free to join us over on the YOU: thread if you like - the plans are pretty similar - I think it's just some of the allowed foods which are different. I have the Best Life book, but have only skimmed though it - haven't tried any of the recipes yet. I'll have to try any you suggest.

Keep up the good work!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #3  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Amy. I was looking for a thread for best life too. I read the book this winter and am thinking of trying it. YOAD was too restrictive for me. I will try to remember to check the site. I've been off the boards lately. Good luck
wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #4  

Hello! How's it going? I've already modified the plan to work for me a little better. I basically count calories and follow most of the rules (no alcohol, no eating before bed, drink enough water, etc). I have had some alcohol while out with friends and I plan to continue to do that, but in moderation. I don't get out much so that shouldn't be a problem!

I've lost 5 pounds in the first week (but that included period water weight loss). I'm happy with how it's going and I'm proud that I've been able to commit to something, finally.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Hi gals! I got The Best Life Diet at the library and was just skimming through it. I was very impressed with Oprah's forward, and the principles of the diet seem to be pretty solid. I've been following the South Beach plan for two months now, but find myself needing to count calories in order to continue to lose, so I was looking for some pre-planned and pre-calorie-counted meals to make my life a little easier.

Do any of you know if there is a good stock of vegetarian recipes for this plan? I was less than impressed with Bob Greene's website. Do you need to subscribe to get the full information or something?

Thanks for any help!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #6  
wip

Yes, I think you need to "join - ie pay $$". I'm less than impressed with his marketing. I checked out the website and got daily messages inviting me to join forever! Too bad, because I do like his messages. Just not the product endorsement and money grab.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Yeah, I'm disappointed when I find things like that. I'd like to get a little support without having to invest thousands of dollars in books and website memberships. I think I saw that there's a 10-day free trial period or something so I might sign up for that when we get back from vacation...long enough to copy all the recipes and then make a go of it on my own. It's a shame there aren't more Best Lifers on the board because we might be able to trade enough back and forth between us to make up for not paying for the membership!

Kara
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #8  
Just getting started

S/C/G: 235/223/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi there! I am on the Best Life program, too, and really like it so far. I really agree with being less than impressed with the whole marketing thing, though.

I've lost 12 pounds so far - and I'm thrilled with that. I've really got to get better about increasing my activity level, though. Right now I do things to add extra steps in my day - like parking far away from the office door. Where I park now, I have to walk across a small lot, then a huge lot, then down 2 flights of stairs. I also park on the far end of the parking lot when I go to the store. I know I need to do more, though.

I'm glad to see other folks out here who are doing the same program. Looking forward to getting to know you and cheering you on!

Aileen
BluePapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Hi Aileen! Great job on your loss so far! Keep it up!

Kara
Old 08-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #10  
Visualizing the Goal

How bad would it be to cheat on the not weighing in at all during the first month? I desperately want to take a peek. It's only been three days, and I actually haven't even "officially" started yet, just kind of working my way up to things, trying to keep track of the hunger scale and consciously work more activity into my day. I did order the journal. Have any of you used it? I'm expecting it to come in around Monday or Tuesday.

Kara
Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #11  
Just getting started

Well, I have to admit, I cheated - I am such a scale addict that my son actually had to hide it from me to keep me from getting on it. I weighed myself on day 1 and then after about a week and a half...but i was good the rest of the month (but again, only because my son hid my scale!)...

my friend at work and i started at roughly the same time but she started before me. i was kind of just going along doing my thing to "introduce" myself to eating 3 meals plus a snack and also stopping eating at 7:30... now it is like a piece of cake (no pun intended!)

i have not used the journal... i made my own book..i took a binder and made sections for photos, progress, goals, etc. and i made one section that is very special for me - the butterfly bank

i made a sheet that looks like a check register. i deposit $5 for every pound lost, 50 cents for every day i drink my water, etc. i'm determined to have a minimum of $500 in there by the time i reach my goal weight.... i keep track and then on payday, i transfer the money i'm "owed" into my savings account... loving it!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

Aileen, that is an excellent idea! Congrats on all your savings!!! What are you going to do with the money?

I have to 'fess up to weighing early, too. I am kind of in an "introductory" phase as well, really planning to start when I get the journal, and plus we're leaving Korea and flying to New Jersey for the rest of the month, so I want to get a baseline there. So many excuses... Anyway, I weighed this morning and was down a pound. I'm going to weigh the first morning we're in the States and then the morning we leave also, just to check on what's changed in the couple weeks we'll be there.

At least it's not every day, right?!

Kara
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #13  
wip

Hi Aileen and Kara - I've been sniffing around different ideas. I think I have some sort of hybrid b/t Best Life and YOAD floating in my head. I know I have to make lifestyle changes vs. a diet as I have over 100 lbs to lose. I have been eating well during the day and off the wagon in the evenings. Haven't weighed myself for ages - probably about 8 weeks. I'm not sure if I'm really in rev-up since I'm trying to watch what I eat but not the timing. I am trying to move more though. I do have the journal and plan to start using it. I found a picture of my thin, pre-mommy of 3 self to stick in for inspiration. Hope you keep posting.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #14  

Default Started this week

Hey everyone. My name is Chris. I started the Best Life diet on Sunday. I have been eating well and have been able to get to the gym to do at least 90 minutes of exercise per week, so that's good. The problem is that I am still on summer break and, therefore, not really moving around as much as I would be once school starts (I'm an elementary school teacher). However, I go back to work in a week and the first few weeks are always a blur, so I'm hoping that will change soon.

I like a lot of Bob's common sense ideas and the recipes are helpful, but I was a little disappointed with this book. A lot of the information I was looking for (specific workouts especially) are only available on the website. To supplement, I've dug out Bob's old Get With the Program! book, which IMHO goes more in depth as to how exercise is really the key to keeping off the weight. Since both of these "diets" have the same general principles, meshing them isn't that hard to do.

I think I'll be okay with weighing myself only once a month, even though I usually do it once a week. I guess I'll see once Sunday rolls around.

Has anyone tried any of the recipes in the book? The only thing I've tried that was new to me was the peanut butter/pear/honey sandwich, and it was mmm mmm good. I may get around to making some of those muffins at some point.

Hope to get to know more about everyone!
changa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #15  
Just getting started

Hey Ladies! Sorry I have not been around lately. Things have been so crazy at work then when I get home the last thing I want to do is touch a computer. LOL

I'm happy to report that I am down another pound, so that is 13 since July 1. I'm pretty happy about that!

I really need to get into exercising, but I'm really struggling with that. I have the Slim in 6 program and I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to get into it this week although I'm probably going to find some excuse why I can't. I have started parking on the other side of the county when I get to work and at the far end of parking lots at stores, etc., but that isn't doing enough.

Chris, do you struggle much with getting in the exercise portion?

To answer your question, Kara, I have decided that I'm going to use the money in my butterfly bank to buy new clothes when I reach my goal. I can't take credit at all for the idea. Someone else was doing it and she called it the piggy bank. i couldn't bring myself to call it that because I'm not a piggy. LOL so since I believe a butterfly is my, for lack of a better word, "symbol," I opted to call it my butterfly bank because I'm working to transform myself.

Sherri, i am right there with ya, girl. i have 77 more pounds to go. Sounds like an awful lot, but ya know, i figure that the next year is going to pass by whether I'm working on losing the weight or not, so I might as well work on losing it. I see what you mean about the hybrid idea - i'm just trying so hard to eat well and not give in to temptation too often. My husband asked me today if I wanted a bite of red velvet cake.. I was like yes i do...but I'm not going to... LOL

i decided recently that no one is going to take care of me for me. I'm 41 and I don't do anything for myself. I'm always doing for everyone else in the family. Well, my oldest son is off in the Marines in Iraq, so he is on his own. My middle son is in his second year of college (he left today), so he is on his own. My daughter is 13 and we are very close, but she is the only one I really have to do anything for anymore. So I decided now is a good time to take care of Aileen for a change.

I cut off all my hair, colored it back to my normal color of dark ashe blonde, had dirty blonde highlights put in (okay, I have never in my life EVER paid that much for a haircut before. I could almost have made a truck payment for what I paid for it....but I think I'm worth it! well, i'm working on believing it anyway) and I got my nails done and had a pedicure. I bought all new makeup and am just going to have fun being me for a change.

What are you doing for you that makes you feel beautiful/sexy/happy, etc?