View Poll Results: Of the following, do you believe there was a cause for you weight problem?
Genetics 15 35.71%
Environment 19 45.24%
Psychology 25 59.52%
Biology 9 21.43%
Some outside influence 5 11.90%
Other 13 30.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Even though most of my family is larger I do not blame genetics. A few of us in the family have proved that it's the bad food choices everyone makes, not genetic make-up. So, fo most of the family I'd say enviroment (learned habits) was a main factor. For me this wan't the case though. I was heavy as a child, but I thinned out after puberty.

I marked psychology because I gained my weight due to the depression that hit after my parents died. This kept me from trying to lose too. It took me over 5 years to feel mentally strong enough to even try.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #17  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Where is the "Me" option?

I was the cause of my weight problem.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Amanda? That's why I chose other. I just liked to eat and saw no good reason to anything more physical than get more food. And of course sit down to eat it ... all of it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #19  

I started gaining weight when I was 7. My mom had just had a nervous breakdown and I had to go and move with my dad.

My dad was kinda a stranger to me and so was his new wife and family. My dad went into rehad shortly after we went there. When I lived there we ate alot of big meals steaks and potatoes. I remember the food tasted so good I just ate and ate. And when no one was looking when i was washing the dishes I ate some more.

My step mom and sister didnt get along and two years later we were sent to live with my mom again.

When I moved back with my mom I was unsupervised alot. Alot of things happened and I was depressed; I spent alot of time watching tv and eating.

I could say that its genetics because everyone in my dads side of the family is over weight but I am more prove to say that it had to do with my life.

As an adult I see that I felt like my mom didnt want us. Then we went to our dads and he left and went to rehab. Then his wife didnt want us living there so we moved back with our mom. A lot of feeling rejected.

I eat cuz it makes me happy lol Can that put that feeling in a pill? Even my bf says that I can be in the worst bad mood but as soon as it is time to eat I am happy as ever.
bethmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 319/ticker/190

Height: 5'7"

I also have to choose all of the above. I was raised to be the "good little girl," which meant pretty much NOT doing anything--at all. Family tended to treat me as something on the bottom of somebody's shoe, so I probably sought comfort in wolfing down the carbs (and the serotonin). Genetically, I inherited a peasant body from both Ma and Pa.

Funny thing, when I went to college, I actually got thinner and stronger. Probably from getting out of the house. I was running up to 5 miles a day by the time I graduated. Then I moved back home, and >boom<, there is the weight again, and, oh look, it brought some buddies.

I think I live my life too intensely, or something. I'm still working through all the baggage that led me to overeating (and lousy self-esteem). I'm still working it through, since I think the key to permanent weight loss is awareness of the causes, and the effects, that the world has upon your particular circumstances. Have to rise above all that.

Susan
miradoblackwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:01 AM   #21  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

I picked psychological... for my mother always told me that I was too fat... ever since I can remember... So as I was growing up, I thought to myself, well... I'm already fat... then what another pound or two? Needless to say that pound or two grow to ten, or twenty or maybe even more... The really sad part, is when I look at my younger self... back when I started remembering my mother forcing me to eat celery and such... I was as skinny as could be... I'd LOVE to be THAT size again!! Now, I've removed myself from that girl's frame of mind... I will NOT let my mother tell me that I'm fat... well... I'm already fat... But my point is: I won't let her dictate my life... Since she saw me last, have lost 40 pounds... and NO, I have not told her that I've lost a bunch of weight...
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote