The weekly LAWL e-mail tip this week talks about eating as a comfort..
I know a bunch of us fell off the wagon this past weekend and that several of us are dealing with stress right now.. So I thought I'd pass this along.. Take from it what you will...
Tips to Avoid Eating for "Comfort"
Do you ever feel like eating when you're sad, angry, hopeless, bored or lonely? You're not alone! Eating in response to emotions, particularly if you are not hungry, is known as comfort eating, and while every person indulges from time to time, here are a few ways to manage your emotional eating and steer clear of comfort weight gain:
Be aware of what makes you eat
- Are you likely to eat more when you are feeling "blue"? Does stress trigger your eating?
Explore other ways for managing feelings
- Rather than using food to cope with your feelings take a walk around the block instead of around your kitchen pantry or refrigerator.
Plan for dealing with boredom
- One of the most common ways of dealing with boredom is by eating. Have a plan of what other great things you can do while you are bored instead of eating (call a friend, go for a walk, read a book).
Eat healthy foods
- Instead of picking up that favorite candy bar why not try your favorite sugarless gum? What fruits are on your plan that you can snack on?
Talk to someone
- Discuss comfort eating with your LA Weight Loss counselor or friend to find out why you may be indulging and how you can manage it.
I think that last one can also lend credibility to this site.. I know I feel better when I read y'all's posts...