Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #1  

Default New Here, Question about calories....

Hello, I was wondering how you figure out how many calories you need each day to maintain your weight. There's so many calculators on the web right now, but they're all different, so how do you really know?

I'm 28, 5'3, and 120lbs. I gained 5lbs over winter and I would love to drop those 5 extra pounds. I've been counting calories and have been eating about 1100 calories a day during the week. I don't count on Sat/Sun, but I wouldn't say I go overboard. I do drink alcohol on the weekends, but not during the week.

Anyway I've been doing this for 3 weeks and haven't lost or gained anything. So any suggestions?

thanks,
Kate
ricker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

I think, 1200cals would be better. Just my opinion. Your body goes into fatsaving mode if you go under 1200. Maybe you should count alcohol calories too. One bottle of wine is over 500cals. One pint of beer is over 200. No knowledge of spirits. I have found eating lots of veg helps, it fills you up, doesn't fatten you and you can have so much without worries. As a salad I like iceberg lettuce, cucumber, spring onions and tomatoes. And light vinaigrette on top. Or minigem lettuce, boiled new potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes, and chopped hardboiled egg whites (well not anymore as have turned vegan). And once again vinaigrette on top. Button mushrooms fried in spray oil with pressed garlic and yellow pepper on a piece of wholemeal toast is a nice evening snack. Or put low cal spray oil in a saucepan with defrosted and safe prawns. Fry for a while (maybe 10mins or so) add pressed garlic (about midway) and also lemon juice (herbs can be added too, not necessary)This is extremely light and has lots of protein and about 1% fat. My auntie lost lots of weight by eating light and going for an hours walk each night with an insane Afghan hound. Hope this was of any help

Last edited by San*_*; 05-11-2006 at 12:30 PM.
San*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8.5"

You could try a few online calculators to get an estimate. Just remember, it's only an estimate though, everyone's different.

The other way from what I've read is to add a zero to your weight to figure your base calorie need. Yours would then be 1200. Make sure you understand though that your "base" calorie needs are just what you need to be able to survive. It doesn't take into account any day to day activities that you do. Any activity at all raises that caloric need so be sure to add that to your figures.
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

These guys are spot on, my nutritionist says that eating under 1200 will put you into starvation mode....eat a bit more, the weight will eventually come off.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:13 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker78

Hello, I was wondering how you figure out how many calories you need each day to maintain your weight. There's so many calculators on the web right now, but they're all different, so how do you really know?
Well this may sound "obvious" ... but why not ask your doctor !!??? It's a great idea to have medical supervision of your weight loss plan. Personally I think 1100 calories is low; you can probably lose just as much weight with a few more so you don't bounce down your metabolism. That isn't just my opinion... my doctor advised me that and I've found she is right!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #6  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

I found some calculators at www.caloriesperhour.com
SSarah is offline   Reply With Quote