Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #1  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Default Desperately seeking help!

Hello- I was just browsing through the site and thought, "WOW!" Seems like the place to be. I'm new here and was hoping to find a website just like this one. I had an awakening revelation this morning at my doctor's office. I was weighed and what I saw brought me to tears. I mean, I know I'm overweight, but that number sent me reeling. 221 LBS! I've been overweight for at least 15 years, and have tried losing the weight several times, losing some weight on occasion, but always end up failing.

Sitting in that doctor's office today really put things into perspective for me. I'm 37 years old and realized I have to do something NOW. For years my weight has taken away a lot of aspects of my life. For instance, my husband has a work party tomorrow and I told him I didn't want to go. I'm embarrassed by my weight (I've never met any of the people.) I shy away from most things in life because of my weight. I hate shopping for clothes. The list goes on.

At any rate, I went out and bought Bob Greene's "Total Body Makeover" tonight and intend to HOPEFULLY be true to myself this time.

I just wanted to post this to introduce myself and to hopefully be welcomed and included into what looks like a very supportive community.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #2  

Annie - Welcome . Glad to see you here. Alot of what you wrote sounds like me. I am also 37 and tend to shy away from alot of stuff because of my weight. I don't want to do that anymore. I have a 21 month old daughter (as well as a 15 year old daughter and a 13 year old son) and I don't want her to miss out on anything because of the way I feel about myself. Sometimes I feel like the older 2 missed out because I have been struggling with my weight for almost 16 years.

I joined curves on the 22 and am eating healthy. I actually did the Bob Greene thing when him and Oprah teamed up (at least I think it was him) and alot of his stuff makes sense. I lost weight when I did but gain it back just like all the other times. But this time I AM GOING TO DO IT!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #3  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Hey MomX! We ARE going to do it this time! Our situations do seem to be similiar in a lot of aspects. I have a 15 year old son and 9 year old daughter.

I'm really hoping to come here on a daily basis to obtain support and hopefully be able to offer some support, as well. I really, really, really want to be able to change my lifestyle and start exercising (and liking it) this time. I'm not one for exercise. I've had no real motivation in the past and hope to change my attitude for the better this time around.

Thanks for the welcome!

Oh and BTW, congrads on the 6 lb loss!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #4  

I post on a site under support groups we are the PICS "Partners In Crime". Come check us out. Also check out some other places. You will find a home where you feel most comfortable.

Thanks for the congrats .
Old 05-13-2005, 11:02 PM   #5  

Annie,
I am also 37 and a member at PIC- Partner's in Crime with momx3. A great group of people. I am doing WW again for the ummmm... 3rd time. One thing I found out tonight and not sure if I should be happy or cry is I weight almost the same as when I went to WW in 1997. My ideal weight is not WW ideal weight but I can deal with that. There is about a 10lb difference. I had some kidney problems a few weeks ago and went to the doctor. The doctor didn't say anything about my weight but I wanted to. I know in my mind how to eat well and I know in my mind I need to exercise but pushing myself to do it is another thing! I want to be healthy for my daughter who is 5. I keep her busy but decided I also need time for me and do things for me. That is why I am joining WW. I go weigh in tomorrow at 7am. I have been weighing myself at my office so when I leave WW, I will sneak by the office and weigh there. That way I know the difference in the scales. I will not let the scale hang me up though. I want to feel better and have more energy.

Lisa
Wyoming
Old 05-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

Default Hi

Hi, Just wanted you to know I understand what you were talking about and feeling when you didn't want to go to your husbands party! I can't tell you how many events I have missed because I was "too big for my clothes"! I am short 5'1" and I can't carry tool many extry pounds! Everything shows. And I refuse to buy clothes over a certain size! I think it's because I think that if I do I will just keep gaining and dont' know where I will ed up! So I have a closet full of beautiful clothes that I can't fit into half the time! But I guess that does keep me from totally letting go!

I hate the feeling of being over weight too! I don't breath well and I feel like I am smothering (and i'm not that overweight). The last time I went to the Dr. my BP was higher than he would like it to be too. I asked him to give me a chance to bring it down without drugs. Hopefull, the next time I go it will be WNL.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #7  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Hello again Momx3. Hello Lisa and "the slim me!" Where is PICS located at? Another website?

Yesterday, I started out doing great, then decided I needed salt and had some chips! I was SO disappointed in myself. Then this morning, I had breakfast at McDonald's, even though I went shopping yesterday and bought a bunch of healthy stuff.

I feel I can't do this. I have absolutely no willpower! HELP ME!

Also, I haven't yet exercised today. (Did some walking yesterday), but that's about it.

I really, really, really need a support buddy.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #8  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me
Hi, Just wanted you to know I understand what you were talking about and feeling when you didn't want to go to your husbands party! I can't tell you how many events I have missed because I was "too big for my clothes"! I am short 5'1" and I can't carry tool many extry pounds! Everything shows. And I refuse to buy clothes over a certain size! I think it's because I think that if I do I will just keep gaining and dont' know where I will ed up! So I have a closet full of beautiful clothes that I can't fit into half the time! But I guess that does keep me from totally letting go!

I hate the feeling of being over weight too! I don't breath well and I feel like I am smothering (and i'm not that overweight). The last time I went to the Dr. my BP was higher than he would like it to be too. I asked him to give me a chance to bring it down without drugs. Hopefull, the next time I go it will be WNL.
I'm so glad people understand my shyness in not wanting to be around people I don't know. It's as though this weight thing has completely taken over my life, yet I don't feel as though I have it in me to do anything about it.

I also know what you're talking about as far as the clothes go. I've been doing more of my clothes shopping at Lane Bryant, as they are the only store I find that carries anything at least flattering for a woman my size.

Ah, today's a bad day for me. Perhaps I should go for a walk and let myself calm down. I've only just begun this journey and it's not starting out too well. Under a bit of personal stress, as well. *takes deep breath*

Oh, on another note. About your high BP? Don't fret it until it's a consistent reading. Everytime I go to the doctor, mine's either slighly high or low. It's never the same, and I've come to the conclusion that the gals taking it don't know what they're doing. Plus they typically use the smaller "wrap" for taking my BP, which can make the reading falsely high. On Friday she told me it was 120/64. It hasn't been that low in 5 years! Crazy!

Thank you all for welcoming me. I'm hoping I have time to check out more of the website later tonight.

PS. Is there somewhere that any of you know of where I can keep a journal???
Old 05-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #9  

Annie - take a deep breath and relax. You did not gain the weight overnight and you will not lose it that way. Try baby steps. Add more fruits and veggies and try to walk if you can. That would be a good start and the res will follow when you are ready. Most important drink lots and lots of water . It's really hard to do this when you are stressed but you can do it. Make Yourself a priority.

You can find the "PICS" by going to the very top of the screen. On the left hand side under the chicks you will see 3FC Healthy Weight.... click on that. Scroll down you will see "buddy up" which is where you are now. Keep going until you see "Support Groups". Go in there and you will find us. If you have any problems let me know.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

Default Good morning

Don't beat your self up when you mess up, just pick your self up and start over! You might want to plan for those days though, the days when you HAVE to have something salty or (me) something sweet. I buy small bags of chips and doritoes. I know they cost more, but if I buy the big bags I can't stop eating. I've read that you should rebag them when you bring them home, into individual servings. It makes me stop to think if I have to open more than one bag. And I always have some chocolate in the house. I refuse to live without it!!! I have a piece (just 1-2) even afternoon with a cup of tea. It is my quite time to relax. And because I don't eat it on the run or mindlesseally it is enough to satisify me! Try going for a walk also. Usually the cravings will pass if you give it some time. Most of the time it's just boredom. Or drink a glass of water! Some times we're just dehydrated! I hope these help. Most of all, just hang in there!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #11  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Thank you all so much for your support. Yesterday was a bad day, but I managed to recover today.

Time to check out more of the site!
Closed Thread