Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #1  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Default Trying Again, hoping for help

Hi
I never had the money to attend Weight Watchers meetings (plus, I'm just too shy), but 2 years ago I saved up and bought a starter kit on ebay. I modified the diet to fit my calcium and low blood sugar needs, and lost 20 lbs in 6 months. I plateaued, however, and I'm having trouble getting my act together again. I need to lose another 35 lbs, and I would like to do it before I get my next ID picture taken in October. I need people to help hold me accountable, but most friends and co-workers are just too nice to say anything! My husband has been supportive, but sometimes I need more than just him. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Oh I understand totally! It really helps to have other people to weigh in with, or challenge, or just share a pat on the back. Have you been on the WW forum here? You should go there, and start a challenge of some sort, or join one that is already going. What is your weak spot - drinking water? Exercising? Or just sticking with points? Maybe you can start a thread and ask other people to commit to the same goal. It really does help me. Welcome to 3FC.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #3  

Hello

I was the same way .. too shy to attend meetings .. so I purchased the WW at home kit .. lost 22lbs .. that was about 4 yrs ago .. the holidays hit and I just never recovered. I would like to lose about 50 - 60 lbs .. I have tons of motivation but just don't want to do it alone .. all my friends are very eager to get out and get some exercise .. however .. I seem to always be sitting around waiting for them .. I am coming to the realization that I'm going to have to go it alone .. my sister is also doing WW but she lives in Michigan so we can't get together .. So now .. I'm looking online for support .. like everyone else is stating .. the need to be held accountable seems to be the best support .. if that's what you are looking for .. I'm here for ya!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #4  
Oddball

Thanks

I know exactally what you mean about the holidays. They started out as my motivation to start in the first place, but the next year, they ground me to a halt. I thought I could remember how to estimate points when I tried to start again the first time, but even though I was eating the right things, I didn't have the portion control I used to have. This past Sunday, my husband dug out my old points counting bracelet and physically put it on my wrist. Needless to say, I got the clue!

On top of that, the weather finally got warmer, so hopefully I can go out walking tonight.

It's great to be able to talk about this stuff with people who are in the same boat!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #5  

Dang those holidays anyway! My husband leaves on Sunday for 3 weeks .. I'm going to use this time to get myself into a routine with exercise and with nutrition .. hopefully when he gets back I'll have it all under control and will be able to eat healthy on a consistent basis .. with him and 3 kids (one still at home) it seems impossible to achieve ..
Old 05-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #6  
Oddball

Sounds like a great opportunity to put things in order. It may seem immpossible to achieve, but if you take things little by little, it truly gets easier. It takes longer than molassas running in winter, but it gets easier.

Holidays aren't the only thing to be danged. Vacations and getaways are up there, too. Today after work, my husband and I are taking a short trip up to Holland, MI for the Tulip Festival. This will be the first time going away since I re-started my diet, and I'm worried about falling off the wagon again. Festival food is so tempting! I hope my resolve is strong enough.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #7  

Hey, that's cool! My family and I spent 5 yrs in Holland. We lived a couple miles east of the meijers on 16th st .. country club rd is the street name .. I miss Holland .. my sister and her family still live there (they moved there after we did) .. tulip time is awesome .. lots of yummy food .. .. if only we could just get enjoyment out of smelling all that good stuff .. sorry I can't give you any good advice because you'll already have been there and back by the time you read this .. I hope you had a great time .. not to worry about any over indulgence .. tomorrow is a new day.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #8  

I'd also like to point out that we do have a weekly weigh in here on these forums, and it's open to anyone, not just members of TOPS or WW (though they of course are welcome to participate). It's in the Success Stories portion of the forums, and is titled "Everyone Weight In 05/06/05" though of course the date changes from week to week.

I think the concept of doing a semi-public weigh in is a good one. During the week I actually do think about it from time to time when I am about to put something dubious in my face. But like the original poster, I don't think I should have to spend money to get into a weight loss program. Having this great site is a big help!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #9  
Oddball

I did, in fact, overindulge, but the miles of walking around town must have compensated, because I still lost 3.5 pounds this week! The tulips were incredible! I'd never seen such tall ones in my life. There was a really good restaurant there called "The Good Earth" where my husband and I split a veggie bagel sandwich. Heaven on earth! (And not so bad for us since we split it.)
Old 05-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #10  
Oddball

That sounds great! I hope it doesn't matter if I post a couple days after the fact, as my usual weigh in day is Sunday Mornings. It's far easier for me to remember to weigh in then.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #11  

sounds like you had a good time .. good job the will power .. being around all those elephant ears can be a challenge if you like them.

My husband left yesterday, so now I've got to get myself into gear. We weighed ourselves yesterday morning .. now we are in a challenge to see who can lose the most .. although he's as skinny as a stick .. he still thinks he needs to lose a few ..

I don't plan on stepping on the scale until he returns ...
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #12  

test my tracker
Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 PM   #13  
Oddball

Ohh, it would be hard for me not to peek at the scale. I am at my weakest as far as resisting eating when I am alone. My husband is going to be gone most of Saturday, and I'm trying to gather stuff to do to keep my mind occupied.

Today I just started the "Couch-to-5k" running program. Not sure how good of an idea it is, since my back and knees aren't in the best of shape, but the whole point is to make them stronger.

I hope you win the challange with your husband!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:57 AM   #14  

the couch to 5k run? good luck with that. I would fall apart if I attempted that. I feel a little limited on what I can do as far as exercising because my body isn't very cooperative. For the past 3 weeks, I've been trying to get through a sciatic nerve injury. It's been rough. I somehow manage to keep getting up in the morning and continue with the routine .. getting my girls off to school. I walk my 10yr old to school everyday .. 15mins both ways (before and after) .. I'm mostly limping and cringing with pain by the time I reach home (and this is even before stressing my nerve) .. so .. I'm a little watchful of the exercises I do .. I don't want to do too much .. I love to rollerblade and ride my bike also .. but I have a 5yr old (starts school next year) who limits me to how far and fast I can go (if I can even go) .. I also have carpal tunnel, so biking can be a challenge also .. it seems that rollerblading is my best option as it doesn't mess with me so much .. as long as I don't crash ..

oh well .. enough of that .. I could keep on going .. I did buy a stability ball .. I'm hoping that it will help me to loosening my back up a bit and help me with some abdominal workouts ..

I gotta get the girls going now .. have a good day!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:16 PM   #15  
Oddball

I tried rollerblading a few years ago, but I had a terrible time keeping my balance. Buying my own pair of blades was a bit cost prohibitive at the time, also.

You'll have to let me know how the stability ball goes. I live in a a small upstairs apartment, and exercising indoors isn't very easy. I'm looking for something quiet to do that doesn't take up much space. It's been so cold here lately that I can't always get outside to go for my walks.
Closed Thread