Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #1  

Red face Hey there!

Hey,
My name is Beth and I need a buddy! I'm 42, mother and grandmother. Very young at heart and very active and busy. I work full time and go to school fulltime. I am going to get in shape in 2005!!! I am determined. Please give me a holler. I'm in NC if there are any other NCer's out there!

See ya!
Beth
Old 03-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

Height: 5'4"

Hi Beth!

I am not from NC, but I do work full time and go to school full time, not to mention I am a mom of two very active kids. So I guess we have a few things in common!

I am so determined to get healthy this year, and I have found talking to people on the boards is really motivating. Kind of like finding friends that are going through the same thing!

Are you following a plan? I am using the things I learned from WW in the past, and trying to make healthy choices each and every day. Plus I have been planning each day and taking healthy snacks to work and make a point of eating them at mid-morning and the afternoon. This has helped me to avoid feeling too hungry at any point of the day. That seems to help a lot!

Nice to meet you!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #3  

Hey Karen,
I am trying to make healthy choices and eat smaller amounts more frequently to keep my blood sugar more even and hopefully prevent me from doing the starve/binge thing. I felt good this week until I ate lunch today. I had mexican, and although I had a spinach quesidilla, I ate a lot of chips and salsa which has really made me feel bloated. yuck. I also hired a personal trainer, short term, in hopes of motivating to get off to a good start. I think I'm gonna like this place. It has a nice feel to it and interesting stuff to read and do. I'm thinking of posting in the journal.
What are you going to school for? and how did you get that butterfly scale thingy?

See ya,
Beth
Old 03-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #4  

Hey Beth!! I'm Elena...and today is my first day!!! I'm in Indiana. And yes, after doing every diet there is...and losing over 300 pounds total, I'm back on track with WW (my first time with this). I had to go for something more sensible this time and hopefully I won't keep yo-yo-ing! Anyway, good luck and I need a buddy too. I get excited about losing weight, my problem is once I've "arrived" keeping it off. So, I'll be here for Quite awhile! Nice meeting you.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #5  
One day at a time!

Hi Beth and Elena,

Beth--To add the scale at the bottom you can click on mine or anyone else's and it will take you to the location to set it up automatically and walks you through adding it to your signature line. Kind of cool, isn't it? Where are you using a personal trainer? At a gym? How is that going? I have thought of doing that in the past. I started doing water aerobics and swimming at the YMCA. I like it more than I thought possible. As far as school goes, I am going to the University of Phoenix online and majoring in eBusiness. I have 5 classes left and will finish this September. Wahoo! I have been going for the past 3 years after quitting what I started a long time ago. I really LOVE my online school. I am thinking of going for my master already! How bout you? What are you going for?

Elena--Welcome to the boards. They are great! Keep on posting, it really does help.

Hope you are both having a great day! Make a plan and stick with it! And don't forget the water! Guzzle up!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:22 AM   #6  

Hey Karen and Elena!
I go to the Y for exercise. My personal trainer is actually a student I met here at the college who also works for the Y and is certified in personal training. He is absolutely wonderful. I've known him slightly for 3 years and am getting to know him better now as my personal trainer. He is young, half my age, but very knowledgable and very very motivational. He understand the emotional/mental part of this and is very supportive and helpful in that area as well as the physical.
I am a business major at Catawba College and I really love school. It wears me out though with working and all the other stuff I try to do.
Did I tell y'all I have a grand daughter? Her name is Hannah and she is 18 months old. I don't get to spend enough time with her but ususally when they call for a babysitter I come running.
Elena, I have never arrived, but I hope when I do I will be so busy and active that keeping it off won't be too hard. I gained a lot of weight with my 1st 2 pregnancies and the most I've lost is 60lbs. I of course gained it back and now need to lose 100lbs.

Well, gotta get busy. Talk to y'all later!

Beth
Old 03-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

Hey Beth and Elena,

Elena--are you still out there?

Beth--I need to lose 105 pounds to reach my goal--so I am right there with you. Well I guess I can say I need to lose 98 pounds now since I lost 7 pounds the first week. That had to be a lot of water weight. So I don't expect it to be that good this week--but I am not complaining! I know that slow and steady is the way to go. My objective is to feel good each and every day about what I do and eat. I have to admit it is a good feeling when I end the day knowing I did the right thing and don't feel that stuffed feeling after overeating. How often do you work out and what kinds of things does the PT have you doing?

Hope you are having a great day!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #8  

Hey Karen,
Well, I was working out everyday, but then I let something someone said discourage me. I then decided to get the "PT" in hopes that he would inspire me. And he has, I am looking at fitness different now and he has given me a broader view of what kinds of things I can do and should do. Yesterday we only had 30 minutes so it was short but we did "power" walking. I have never walked like that before. He told me that 1 lap of power walking was like .5 miles of jogging. I barely made it all the way around. Now I know that makes me sound very out of shape but you would have to see it to believe it. It was very motivational though and it has given me a goal that I feel like I can acheive. Then we worked on some specific exercises for my back, abs and waist. I am VERY pleased with how things are going!
I know what you mean about feeling good about how the day has gone. Yesterday I ate Mexican and regretted it the rest of the day. I've done better today but I am so exhausted from my schedule right now that it is very tempting to use food as a comfort. Sometimes eating just feels good!
I'm gonna try and post a picture so y'all will know who you're talking to!

See ya!
Beth
Old 03-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #9  
One day at a time!

Hi Beth,

Happy St. Paddy day! I don't celebrate it--in fact I don't even have on green. So don't pinch me please!

That walking is great! They say that walking 3 times for 10 minutes a day is just as effective as one session of 30 minutes. Since I work on a PC all day, and then go home and do homework on my PC at home--I try to get up and take breaks and walk up and down our stairs at work. I think every little bit helps!

Last night I did my water aerobics. I really like the water--it is a good feeling to get in and move around. What is funny to me--I notice most of the ladies who come to the class stand around and freeze waiting for the class to start. And if you observe the difference in young kids--they are always moving. It is funny what happens as adults--we just slow down. Well, I am trying to turn back the clock and be a kid again--by just keeping moving. It makes me feel good to know I am doing something healthy. I just try to think as long as I am moving I am burning calories!

How is your day going? So far so good here!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:29 PM   #10  

Default blah today

I am fighting the blah's today. I just got back from lunch and while I was there I realized that I don't enjoy eating anymore. If I eat healthy food I don't really like it all that much and if I eat what I really like I feel bad because I eat too much or gain weight or feel guilty. Maybe it's a good thing to get to the point I don't eat for enjoyment but right now it's making me feel a little down. I want to see some good change soon or I'm really going to get discouraged!
Enough whining.

Beth
Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #11  
Movin' right along...

Hey Beth! Welcome to the boards...how do you like it so far??

Love,
Deanne
Old 03-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #12  

Default well

I like it lots so far!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #13  
One day at a time!

Hi Beth,

I know what you mean about feeling blah sometimes. And it is hard sometimes, because the fatty food choices are all around us. We have to retrain our brain to get into good habits with water and choosing to eat healthy. Have you ever tried Weight Watchers? I like WW because you figure out what you can eat with real food, and you discover that you can eat many things you still like. What kinds of foods are you eating? Is there nothing you consider healthy that you actually enjoy eating? Hang in there! You can do this!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #14  

Default hey

Well, I haven't lost any weight but I did have to move my belt over a notch! That's good news. I am very sore from working out this weekend. And, I bought me a bike. I am looking forward to riding it. I'm fighting the urge to gripe today. I am a little miffed with some people in my life right now. How are you Karen? And Elena, you still there????

Beth
Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #15  
One day at a time!

Hi Beth,

I am doing good. I actually felt blah--and had a headache before I headed to the Y tonight to go swimming. It took all my energy to get there...but I am glad I did. After I was done my headache was gone! I have been doing pretty good to eat consistently, but I have had some temptations. Today someone brought in birthday cake to work--and it was chocolate. I can walk away from any cake but chocolate. At first I was going to avoid it altogether. But as the day wore on and I passed the cake for the 10th time, I decided to have half a piece. I don't think that is too bad. I have been known in the past to eat a few pieces in one sitting. So eating half a piece is good for me.

Sounds like you are getting ready to get moving with the new bike! I am not too good w/ biking. I always feel like I have been riding a horse or something. I rode my daughters last year--I guess I have to just get used to it. When I was a kid I rode my bike every where! Maybe we just need a better seat! But the kids don't complain about it. I guess they have a tougher bootie! Ha!

I hope things get better w/ you and the "people in your life" who are stressing you a bit. I know there is always something to cause us to feel stressed--and more times then not it is people related. Hang in there!
Closed Thread