Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 05:08 AM   #1  

Default a long introduction but Hi Everyone!

Hi everyone!

I decided that today was the day I get my life in order - the center of which begins with my weight. In my insomnia-created clarity, I decided to look up "weight loss buddies" in google and this is what popped up! And what an amazing place so far..As corny as it sounds, I feel like I was supposed to find this support network as I try and make my goals become a reality.

So to introduce myself: I am 22 and a university student in Canada. I am a size 16 and overweight. I have mostly complained about it but I now realize it is time to do something about it!

I was of completely normal weight until 13 when I started gaining weight quite fast. I have realized more and more that the first step of this journey should be a visit to the doctor! I definitely should exercise more but in the food area, I really don't eat much at all. That is fueling my notion that something else might also be at play. The fact that my weight gain started right around puberty and the fact that I have always had irregular periods and now have not had one in about 7 months might add up to something??

WAIT! Before you file this post under "Too Much Information", let me apologize for my blabbering... I have not yet looked through all of the great sections and posts in this community so forgive me if I am not making my first post the right way or if I am repeating a question but I was wondering if anyone here as any idea what I might be talking about or what it could mean?!

So hi everyone! Hope you are having a great weekend...Sorry for the long post but I am definitely in that verbose place right now

I am definitely looking for a weight-loss buddy or group and I look forward to meeting lots of you and hearing about your own goals/successes!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:46 AM   #2  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Hi kalei – and welcome to 3FC!
Good for you that you’ve decided to do something about your life! You’ve definitely come to the right place – there are a lot of supportive and great people here.

Just look around – see if you find someone you want to talk to here on the “Buddy Up!” forum, or under “Support” or “Support Groups”. Everybody is really welcoming to newcomers.
If you wonder about weight-loss and your hormone-situation: look at the “Dieting with Health Problems” and “PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support” forums. See if you find a thread or two you want to join.

I haven’t been here at the boards that long, and I’m older than you (36) but am a student too (grad school, psychology) - and I would love to be one of your weight-loss buddies. As for loosing weight: I’m counting calories, eating healthy and exercising every day. If you are interested in specific diets: check out the forums for Atkins, South Beach, Sugar Busters or WW. (Are you overwhelmed yet? )

Really hope you’ll stick around and that you’ll find this place helpful!
Good luck!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:56 AM   #3  
honourary nutcase

S/C/G: 238/234/196

Height: 5'10"

yeah hit me back for a chat buddy...!!!!
loz x
Old 07-11-2004, 08:44 PM   #4  

Default thanks!

Hi guys
Thanks for the responses...This community already feels really supportive! Hope to talk to everyone really soon

Kalei
Old 07-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #5  
maintaining

Hi again kalei!

I’m sure you’ll find this place very helpful!

And yes: a visit to your doctor sounds like the right place to start.

As for food – and not eating much – have you tried registering what you’re eating for a couple of days or weeks - and then adding up the calories?
Eating too little or eating too much – both will mess up weight loss.
You might want to check out www.fitday.com: it’s a good place to start if you want to try.

I’m – obviously - a big fan of counting calories. It’s the only way I can live with loosing weight and maintaining for a long period of time. I can eat what I want; I just have to restrict how much of it I eat. I could never live a life without chocolate or cookies, but now I’m trying to learn how to eat just a little at a time.
If I eat too much one day, there’ll be fewer calories for me the next day. (I aim for 1500 calories a day, but as long as I average on 10.500 a week – it’s OK to have a few days over the limit and a few under)

The biggest shock when I started doing this was, of course, how many calories I actually ate on a normal day! Now I’m trying to eat healthy and eat food that makes me feel good.

Hope you're having a great Monday!
Old 07-14-2004, 03:08 AM   #6  

Thumbs up

thanks Mette for the great advice! I am looking into Fit Day and it looks great (and thankfully free!)

It is weird to be on day 2 of what seems like such a huge huge obstacle...I have been eating well but still have not committed to a long term exercise program. But that will change!

It is really interesting what you said about eating less and how it can screw up your diet plans. I go through stages where I eat very very little and I have come to realize, that does more harm than good in the long run!

Thanks again - I am really enjoying the support of this community!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #7  
maintaining

Hi kalei – it looks as if you’re doing great! Good for you that you’re eating well, and you’ll probably sort out exercising as you go along.
Do you have any ideas of how you want to exercise? Where and what?
I do mostly jogging and weights, with some hiking and yoga sometimes. My long term exercise goal is to join a gym next semester, and get some instructions on how to do weight lifting properly. I’m definitely looking forward to that.

Yes - eating too little: even though it sometimes can give short term weight loss, it makes it harder in the long run. Your body starts to starve and metabolism slows down. It makes it hard to lose weight, and next to impossible to keep the weight off.
I also think that when one has a lot of weight to loose (like I do) – it’s best to do it as slowly and as balanced as possible.
Don't worry too much that it looks as a huge huge obstacle right now - just concentrate on today and the next day. You'll do day by day, and as you go along you’ll make new habits and find your way. It’s just a little bit overwhelming at first. It gets better!

I’m sure you’ll do just fine kalei, you sound very motivated and ready to go. And 3FC is a good place to come back to often – I’ve found that it makes it easier to keep the motivation up and my focus on the goal.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #8  

thanks mette for the motivation and ideas!

Everything is going pretty well...I just need to get exercise going! I think I am going to take up running/walking and pilates and in the fall, kickboxing. I have a similar goal to yours in joining a gym and learning how to lift weights properly. It may sound vain but I want to lose some weight before I get there!

Thanks again for all of your help. I am definitely encouraged by your "signature" section and how well you are doing! When did you start your journey?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:17 PM   #9  
maintaining

Good to hear you’re doing well kalei!
And good luck on taking up running/walking. I jog two days of the week – Tuesday and Thursday mornings – and it really gets easier when I’ve done it for a while. I struggled for quite a long time before I got into a steady exercise routine, so I definitely know about how hard it is to get started sometimes.

I started my journey 1 ½ years ago – did I say that I used to be a yo-yo dieter? Well, I did! And this time I’m doing everything very slowly and surely. I started with loosing 35 pounds on my first loosing-weight-period, in the same way I do now: restricting my eating, counting calories, logging food and exercise, eating healthy. When I started I decided that I wanted to lose weight for 6 months, and maintain the new weight after that. The maintaining has been central: if I can’t keep the weight off, I’m not interested in loosing it. That would just be a waste of time and energy, and the last thing I want is another cycle of loosing and gaining.
I am now on my second loosing-weight-period, I started this April and will do this for 6 months. When November comes I’ll go back to maintaining the new weight, no matter what it is. Since April I’ve lost 16 pounds (slowly and surely, remember? ) – my total is now 51 pounds off. I’m really enjoying the journey this time.
And this place is really wonderful and helpful: I have both made friends and learned a lot about eating/exercising/etc.

So it’s absolutely doable! And I’m sure you’ll figure out how as you go along.
(and: yeah, I get the part about wanting to lose weight before going to a gym! Heh. Even if it defies all logic! )
Keep up the good work!
Closed Thread