Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 11:17 PM   #1  

Talking Confused and fat can you help me?

I am new here and am trying to lose 50 lbs. I am not sure where to start. I am 35 years old with two boys 11 and 15. I live in Hawaii and would like to know if there are other people from Hawaii registered here. I think I know what I need to do to lose the weight but when I start and have a little success I some how sabotage myself. I excercised for a month and a half and I saw no weight loss so I gave up. I need motivation and a partner in this challenge. I hope someone can help me begin.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:14 AM   #2  
Scott

S/C/G: 290/290/200

Default fat vs muscle and what it means in reguards weight loss

Not that I'm a doctor or any type of fitness expert here....but I did want to point out that (I'm sure your probably very aware of this!) muscle weighs more than fat....and depending on the type of excersizing you do....you might not see any movement on the scale....HOWEVER, you will actually be doing very well...for me (and I think that this is a very pertinent example) a few years back, I decided to exersize and lose weight....my exersizing consisted of lifting weights...not really cardio....but lifting.....3 weeks into my "program" I had actually put on 4 lbs....HOWEVER, I went from a 42 waist to a 40 (almost a 38) and I felt and looked much better (atleast to me I did) I did eventually loose almost 30 lbs (and then put it back on a year later!! Which is where I am now!!)

Anyway, I have NO IDEA about your situation and I am completely sympethetic to what your feeling....I just wanted to throw this out to you to look NOT ONLY at the scale, but maybe how you were feeling after that month point? Did you feel any better? Were your clothes any looser??? If you answered yes to any of those questions.....well then you were on the right track!!!!!

You need to be commended for continuing to plug away....as the old saying goes...."if at first you don't succeed.."

I'm not from Hiwaii, but I'd love to continue to hear about your "journey" and offer an ear to you whenever you need!!! Good luck....and let me know if there is ever anything you'd need!

Scott
Old 03-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #3  
Legend in my own mind

well I have never been to Hawaii but sure would love to visit. My son's girlfriend is Hawaiian and what a lovely young lady she is.
I have studied lots of different kinds of diet plans and read lots of diet books, and I have come up with a plan that is working nicely for me.
I couldn't see how the Adkins plan could be healthy long term and a clear indication of that would be that it requieres lots of vitamins to be taken to make up for what your body isn't getting, however, I do think the low carb thing can help lose weight. so I have cut way back on carbs like white bread, pasta, white rice and potatos, and replaced them with only whole wheat products. I now eat in limited amounts, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, tortillas, brown rice and alike. I also have been eating lots or raw vegies in salad and I steam lots of vegies and I quit making gravy and I don't eat such huge portions. I drink lots of water and don't drink diet pop and so I do feel that I am loosing weight in a healthy way. I walk a lot and ride a stationary bike too. so like last night I had one piece of fried chicken and I use whole wheat flower and its great, and maybe half a cup of brown rice with soy sauce in it, and lots of steamed green beans and that was it.
I would have in the past had two pieces of fried chicken fried in regular flower, more than a cup of white rice with lots of chicken gravy in it, and
a slice or two of white bread with margerine and maybe a small amount of vegie.
Ok, I also had a rum and coke last night but no bodys perfect right?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #4  
Scott

S/C/G: 290/290/200

Partytime.....MAN....did your post make me REALLY hungry!!! I haven't had fried chicken in a while.....let me just say that it's a good thing that I brought my turkey sandwich in for lunch today...otherwise....I'd probably run to the local resturaunt and get some "good" grub!! j/k (sorta)

I completely agree with you about the atkins (is it aDkins or aTkins???)....but in my opinion, many of them there diets like south beach or the stop the insanity lady diet or any of those diets really make you go to the extreme side of things and I just never found them to be practicle (I am NEVER going to weigh out my food before cooking it....it's just not going to happen for me!) I have to simply make a consious effort to cut my portions down. That's the biggest thing for me....cause I could VERY EASILY have like 6 or 7 slices of pizza w/ a dozen wings - I've tried those diets before (I've probably tried some form or fashon of all of them I think!) and I last about 4 hrs on them before I find ways to "work-around" them! Success for me has come in the form of eating every 2 hrs (like a piece of fruit or a small sandwich) and then put in a workout in in the evenings....I don't measure, I don't count, I just make this a consious effort....My biggest problem now.....I find myself NOT wanting to eat at all!!! It actually bothers me to eat at times - so I have to watch that TOO.....it's a TOUGH BATTLE! but someone has to fight it huh???? lol

Keep fighting the good fight! (I always wanted to say that LOL)

Scott
Old 03-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #5  

Default Still working on it

When I was exercising I did feel more energy but my clothes were still tight. My legs did get firmer and I felt more attractive. But exercising poops me out and I don't want to do anything else for the rest of the day. I think I will exercise at night when I can. I found if I dont eat after 6:00 pm I am like 2 lbs lighter in the morning so this is something I can try. Thanks for the replies it helps to know I'm not alone. Getting ready to go on vacation to the Big Island, hope I can curb my vacation eating. Thanks guys
Closed Thread