Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #1  
Expert YoYo Dieter

S/C/G: 332/319/225

Height: 6'2"

Default New here - 1,000 calorie plan - your thoughts?

Hola -

I had a friend lost 40 lbs by dropping his diet to 800-1000 calories. As you can imagine, the weight dropped rapidly. However, he now leads a pretty active life and has kept the weight off for almost 2 years. I've read all the 'dangers' of going that low, but cannot imagine its even close to as bad as keeping the weight i currently carry (322 lbs)... So, about 4 days ago I started this 'crash diet' and hope to make it somewhere around 45-60 days at which point I'll reintroduce a little exercise and add 400-600 more calories.

Anyone need similar 'jump starts' into a diet? I just have to break my over eating cycle, but don't want to do permanent damage or really throw my metabolic rate completely out of whack...

Also, if you are kind enough to reply.. please bring some science based knowledge as to why this is or isn't a good idea??

Thanks to all

McLovin
McDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/244/150

Height: 5'5.5"

I've been on a calorie plan for about 10 weeks. I started out trying to stay around 1500. After a couple of weeks, I knocked it down to 1300 and the last few weeks, I've been staying around 1000. Ironically enough, I was losing more weight at 1300-1500 than I am at 1000. Since I've bumped it down, I've plateaued and can't seem to budge much. I think I maybe have bumped it down too much. I'm going to move it back up and see if that helps.
Andi140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/232/160

Height: 5'6"

Usually very low calorie diets are monitored by a physician/dietitian/ medical professional because of risk of malnutrition. Even then they don't go below 800-1000 cal/day. When people go on super low calorie diets on their own, often they don't get enough protein, vegetables, good fats, etc. I recommend asking your doctor or a dietitian for help with a plan. But if you're determined to do it on your own, look into meal planning for people who have had bariatric surgery. It's a similar situation, their caloric intake is very low. Maybe get a bariatric vitamin too since you risk not getting enough from your food. Years ago I read that people tend to bounce back up in weight with crash diets more than with more conservative diets, but I'm not sure that's accurate in current research. Either way, be safe!
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #4  
Diet Novice

S/C/G: 300/257/180

Height: 5'11"

I'm on a similar diet that is monitored weekly by a dietitian. Im 26, started at 300 lbs on January 18, 2017 and I'm now at 260 lbs today. I've lost a total of 40 lbs in three months. I have to eat AT LEAST 500 calories a day just in protein. Then I'm allowed to have two cups of 'approved' veggies or a small amount of fruit. (like asparagus, broccoli, Brussel sprouts; no corn or high carb veggies or high carb berries). Water is key in these types of diets. I've been suggested to drink at least a gallon a day; which was hard at first but easier over time. I followed the Keto diet pretty closely before I started and lost 10 lbs in two weeks just by switching to low carb, high-fat food options. The key to these diets is once you loose the weight, you have to continue that lifestyle. It's not like you can go back to eating what you want; everything in moderation. It's not like I don't have cheesecake every now and again! Just bites. LOL. I don't necessarily know all the scientific knowledge behind it but it's all about getting your body to Ketosis to lose weight. These diets force your body to burn fat rather than carbs. I'm not going to say it's a breeze but it's worked so far for me; you just have to make sure you're eating the proper foods to keep your body nourished. When I first started I got the 'keto' sickness and felt awful for a few days; it's your body adjusting. I would always suggest seeing a doctor before starting to make sure there wouldn't be complications with you starting any kind of limited calorie diet.
omgitsannmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #5  

Default 1200 cal

Just bumped my 1600 cal down to 1200 and already little weight loss came to a screeching halt. At a loss of what exactly is right but a 247lb person eating 1200 cals a day and exercising should do something. So 1000 cal should probably be monitered by a doctor or at least run it by one.

Last edited by 150shouldbme; 04-05-2017 at 08:57 AM.
150shouldbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/213/150

Height: 5'4"

Dropping down too low from what your body is used to will send your body into starvation mode. It's more important to eat the right foods. Try switching to more natural foods...blood sugar plays a big role in your body holding onto fat and certain ingredients like artificial sweeteners will spike your blood sugar...should stay away from hydrogenated oils, and include healthy fats in your diet. Your body's energy comes from carbs, so while you don't want to be living on bread and pasta, you still need carbs...just try to make sure it's whole grains and not refined garbage that is nutritionally void. You also need healthy fats like avocado and olive oil to help some of the other nutrients absorb into your body. Make sure you get a good amount of protein, and avoid things that are fat free, or even the light versions. Although it may seem like a good choice to save a little fat or calories, in reality the ingredients they substitute are usually doing more harm than those extra calories would have done. I used to get the sugar free versions of stuff, then I learned that the artificial sweeteners tehy substitute are way worse for you than natural sugar. I signed up for the Eat This Not That website and it has really taught me how to eat well, how to spot the good and the bad.
OnlyHappyWhenItRains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi! Back in my 30s I cut my calories to 1000-1200 per day, religiously. I exercised every single day, doing Power 90 5 days a week and walking the track (1 mile) each night. I started at 185 and at the end of 90 days I weighed 145. I maintained that for quite some time, then life set in, depression etc,. and I gained it back over time PLUS, with a huge weight gain this past year I am at 230 now. Everyone is different of course, and commitment and motivation I imagine are key. If I had to redo, I wouldn't have gone under 1200 at all (most days I didn't) .
Just_Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:52 AM   #8  

Default Been there, done that

I lost 50 pounds in 2008 on a 1,000 cal/day diet. I drank 100 ounces of water each day. I kept the weight off for several years. I'd like to do it again. I'm heavier than ever today, after gaining over the past 2 years. Very sad.
Let's do it!
Mrsjones_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsannmarie View Post
I'm on a similar diet that is monitored weekly by a dietitian. Im 26, started at 300 lbs on January 18, 2017 and I'm now at 260 lbs today. I've lost a total of 40 lbs in three months. I have to eat AT LEAST 500 calories a day just in protein. Then I'm allowed to have two cups of 'approved' veggies or a small amount of fruit. (like asparagus, broccoli, Brussel sprouts; no corn or high carb veggies or high carb berries). Water is key in these types of diets. I've been suggested to drink at least a gallon a day; which was hard at first but easier over time. I followed the Keto diet pretty closely before I started and lost 10 lbs in two weeks just by switching to low carb, high-fat food options. The key to these diets is once you loose the weight, you have to continue that lifestyle. It's not like you can go back to eating what you want; everything in moderation. It's not like I don't have cheesecake every now and again! Just bites. LOL. I don't necessarily know all the scientific knowledge behind it but it's all about getting your body to Ketosis to lose weight. These diets force your body to burn fat rather than carbs. I'm not going to say it's a breeze but it's worked so far for me; you just have to make sure you're eating the proper foods to keep your body nourished. When I first started I got the 'keto' sickness and felt awful for a few days; it's your body adjusting. I would always suggest seeing a doctor before starting to make sure there wouldn't be complications with you starting any kind of limited calorie diet.
Hi Clearwater here What weight loss clinic are you going to? Medi weight loss or Quick weight loss? I find low carb works best for me also. Welcome
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote