Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 AM   #1  

Default Living in Japan with challenges

Hello!

My name's Cheri and I moved to Japan last year to be an English teacher. Since I got here my diet and lifestyle have changed drastically. Before Japan, I had gotten down to but hit a plateau at about 200 lbs and stuck around the 200-2010 range. Since arriving, because of stress and changes I'm at my lifetime peak of about 240 lbs. This is a major challenge for me because I am a rollercoaster emotional eater. Some days I binge then others I barely eat out of guilt. I don't have an eating disorder but I do have a problem and I want to work on (Goal 1!) accountability.

My other goal is getting more active. I have found in the last 10 months that my body has started to get very achy from the weight and I feel much older than I am. Being a foreigner, especially a large one in a country where the average person is about 100 lbs (men are probably 140-50) you feel very self-conscious. Add to this that I live in a small town where eyes are always on you and it increases exponentially.

Goal 3 is to gain more confidence and be comfortable in my own skin. This is so I'm not afraid to go out of my own house even with people always staring at me. More than that though, so I can take control and enjoy myself again.

If anyone has advice they can offer on where to start or how I can work on this I appreciate anything. Thank you for reading my much to long blurb!!
melonsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #2  

Hi Cheri,

No advise here really, as I am still very new as well, however, where to start? One day I woke up and thought to myself this is the day, no more excuses, no more "tomorrow I will start". I signed up for the weight watchers points plus and started working out 4-5 times a week at home. You can just start with walking, don't let anything stop you from starting your weight loss journey. I know it is easier said than done, but for me I found that I just had to push through originally starting something.
Becs08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/178/160

Height: 5'9

I always think the best way to start is with small steps. You said you are an emotional eater, also you are in a foreign country... so you probably go for junk-food when you get stressed out? Food is always the best place to start. Try switching out some of the unhealthy option with healthier ones. Japan (from what I've heard from friends that have gone to teach English abroad) has a really great habit of having healthier options readily available if you want them. Then, get active. Walk, walk and walk some more. I am sure there are lots of places to explore and if you are in a small town then you should have some good hiking nearby.

I am moving to South Korea to teach English in August. So I may be in a similar boat soon. Trying to figure out how to diet and exercise where the food and culture is so different. But I think once you start to regain control by adding healthier foods and exercise, your stress levels should go down.
amy_beth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Cheri! You might start by trying to eat whole foods, things in their natural state (cooked or raw--meats and fish, veggies, salads, fruits, nuts, whole grains) and try to avoid processed foods and sweets. Also try to watch your portions. I have learned a new trick that is working wonders for that. After each bite, I set down my food or fork and take a drink of water. It amazing how much that makes you pay attention to what you're eating and fills you up! And make sure you do drink enough water. Don't overdo it, but get plenty. It will keep your digestive tract working properly. As for exercise, if you are too self-conscious to go out walking, get on Youtube and look up Leslie Sansone Walk-at-Home walking videos. She has them from beginning to advanced, and it will definitely work you out. Finally, stick with 3 Fat Chicks! Take a look around, and jump in on the threads. You'll make friends and they'll help you stay accountable! Everyone here is very nice! I wish you the best! Good luck!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-28-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote