Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/215.2/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Just joined and can use any suggestions

I'm now trying to change my lifestyle and get healthy. I weigh 217 and my weight has fluctuated up and down for years. I had lost wt by diet and exercising but have 4 bulging disks in my back and have gained a lot of wt back due to corticostetoids. Now I have to be careful with exercising so it won't do more damage to my back. I need help and suggestions on diet and exercises I could try.
needingsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Welcome!! =D

This forum is fantastic for encouragement, I look forward to hearing your success stories!!

My weight is similar to yours (started at 221, last weigh-in was 219 after 1 week), and although I do not know much about the types of medical conditions you have, I can share what I've been doing to see if that can help give you a jumping off point =)

I didn't want to stop cold-turkey with my life and change everything for a diet. I've done that before, and the diets last maybe a week, if I'm lucky. This time I decided to start by changing my eating habits first. My Grandma got me the calculator and some of the reading material for Weight Watchers, and Monday will be 2 weeks that I've been following it. I found, as I wrote down everything I ate and budgeted my points, that the diet wasn't so much about cutting things out, but moderating things so that I wasn't over-eating. If I wanted to eat pizza, I could have pizza, but I would need to make sure that the rest of my meals for the day were within my point range, so it's teaching me to make better decisions about what I eat (and I can still sneak in some of my comfort food in moderation so I don't feel the need to "cheat" as often). I also cut out all soda, and only drink water with the exception of the occasional alcoholic beverage if I'm in a social gathering (I always track the points for those drinks too....you'd be surprised how many points it is! I didn't take the quote "don't drink your calories" seriously till I calculated it!)

As far as exercise goes...I've never been much of a fan lol! I do have 2 dogs that like to go for walkies, and my parents have an elliptical that I use, but on average I only exercise maybe an hour and a half a week (2 dog walks @20-30 min each, 2 sessions on the elliptical @ 20 min each). I actually find I enjoy the walks more, especially now that the weather is getting nice, and my dogs like it because it helps get rid of their restless energy (I have a Sheltie, and after a day being cooped inside she paces and won't settle).

I hope his helps!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #3  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Welcome!!
Maybe the best exercise for you to start with would be something non-weight bearing like swimming.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/215.2/175

Thanks everyone. I think this site will help. I'm ready to get healthy. So far I have been doing good. Just having trouble controlling my hunger. But I just watched dr oz and he was talking about a natural appetite suppressent called glucomannam that I'm going to try
needingsupport is offline   Reply With Quote