Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'10

Default A decade worth of half-assed attempts..

..at this weight loss thing...but inching towards the 300lb mark really put my brain into overdrive. Only problem is--there is too much information out there. My PCP foisted Medifast onto me, and it is going right back. That stuff is barely edible (unless that was the point...hmm). Currently on Metformin (500mg for now, 1000 in another 2 days) and BCP to straighten out IR and PCOS (no period in nearly 10 months!)

As you can probably tell from my rambling "intro", I am sort of at a loss as to where to start...Hoping this site brings about the much needed support that I seem to be lacking at home..(no Mom, telling me that I should quit cheese and chocolate does NOT count!)
uberaditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'10

Thank you!
uberaditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #4  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

To you!

Oh it is something.. trying to find the right way to eat that you can stay with. Or in my case for the rest of my life (Atkins). You will find a way and just keep that mindset that you are doing it for yourself and to be healthier. This place is AWESOME. Lots and lots of incentives, motivation and support and Knowledge. This place is a savior when ever you need it. I hope to see you around the threads and in the challenges (which helps me to get my butt moving more!!)
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #5  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Have you picked a plan yet? There are people here using every plan you can think of--and those groups are incredibly supportive places to participate in!

Welcome!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #6  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Wannaskipand laugh hit the nail on the head. There are many different ways of losing weight. Some aren't for everyone. You have to find out what works for you (i.e. what you can life with). When I finally found the diet I could live with, I was able to succeed (so far, anyway).
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/159/135

Height: 5' 0''

It is overwhelming, isn't it? I would suggest reading through the threads new and old. You will learn about so many different plans that people here are doing.

It's about a lifestyle change. Read,read, read. You will find something here that will call to you. Something you will know you can live with.

If you can, get one of the apps like LoseIt or My Fitness Pal. Track your food, your exercise, and your weight .

Come to the forum post,ask questions, participate.

This is a great group of people, willing to share what they have learned.

I hope this helps, I look forward to seeing you on the forum.
irish51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Welcome. And tough decision. Think about when you eat; when you eat and don't need to; what you eat/drink and what you cannot eat/drink without. And make calorie reducing choices based on those. Add some light exercise and that just about did it for me. I'm eating smaller portions, less often, of reduced calorie foods. But I still drink my beer. That was my red line. Everything else was up for grabs.

Last edited by IanG; 03-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #9  
Just watch me ...

Good for you for getting serious about treating yourself well !

You don't have to go on any of those commercial plans - unless, of course, your MD says something is medically necessary.

My suggestion is to cut out fried foods and cut back on processed foods and breads. Add veggies and fruits and get in some activities every day. You can also check out plans like Eat to Live, which is a heavy - veggie-based diet, to get an idea of how to shift your food to more nutrient-heavy stuff.

You're in this for the long haul, so pace yourself without being 'half-assed'
(love that expression) about it. Respect yourself enough to not let your food hurt you any more, and love yourself enough to realize that this is a big change that's great to undertake, and that from time to time you'll need to re-group and switch things up to stay course.

Good luck
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote