Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #1  

Default Hello I'm new and dont know where to start.

Hello everone, I'm 21, 6'1" and I'm 17 stone/108kg which puts me at the beginning of obesity occording to the bmi charts I've looked at. However that might be debatable as I have quite a stocky body frame. I was skinny up untill around 15/16 when my metabolism slowed down, I discovered the tasty and unheathly combination or rice, butter and salt; and was no longer required to do exercise as part of school.

My ultimate goal would be to lose approximatly 4 stone and get to the 13 stone I'm supposed to be. However, a position I'm sure others have been in before, I'm not sure to start and how to go about things both diet and exercise wise. If possible I'd like someone to suggest a starter plan to ease into things for the first few weeks, that doesn't involve going to the gym. I live in the country so biking, jogging and other outdoorsy things would be good.

I want to get used to doing regular exercise by mid-september when I'll go to university and then join the gym. I just don't know how much and how long I should be doing it for. The tendencey is to slow done and give up once I feel a little tired.I hope having a firm plan will help with that. But if I try to plan things myself I spend so much time working out little details that I never actually follow it.

The same is the case for my diet. But I want to focus on exercise first. One hurdle at a time.

I'd appreciate any assistance or advice you can give me.

Thanks.
Peteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Hey there Welcome welcome welcome.

So if you want to ease into working out perhaps you should consider the couch to 5k running plan? :] I'm starting that today, I'm an awful runner so it should be fun :P They have an app for iPhone, too. :]

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I hope that doesn't get removed for any reason, if there's no link there just google 'couch to 5k running' and I'm sure you'll get the site.

Also, when it comes to how you eat, a lot of people choose to count calories. A lot of people don't. For me, it has been the easiest way to keep track of what I eat and stay accountable. When you're ready you might want to check out sparkpeople.com - fabulous website that has helped me more than I can even say!

I know you mentioned focusing on working out first, but I thought I'd throw that out there :3 Lots of people say diet is 80% of your weight loss. The way I understand it is 3500 calories=1 pound. You have to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. Your body burns a set number of calories just by existing, so that's nice.

Most people (some people? I'm trying not to offend or assume here :P) use diet and exercise both to get to their goals. I really see it as a biiiig math problem, and that's what has helped me the most.

Anyway sorry for the rant. I hope you find all the help you need here! This is a fantastic community and I've learned a lot by being part of it, I hope you do, too
And congratulations on deciding to make this life change! You can do it, you seem dedicated and realistic which are both fabulous things <3
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5'9"

I am also new to this site and also will be beginning couch to 5k tomorrow.
missionhotmom is offline   Reply With Quote