Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/see tracker/150

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Frustrated, hopeful, frustrated again (kinda long)

Hello,

I'm 40 (almost 41), married with one child (a two year old boy). I also have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I was always heavier than I should have been, but that went from 150 pounds (which actually worked on my legitimately big-boned 5'4" body) to 215 when I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's. There were long periods when I didn't weigh myself, but this is the rundown I remember.

1992 - 150
1996 - 160
2002 - 185
2002 (post-breakup) - 172
2006 (hypothyroidism diagnosis) - 215
2006 (later in the year after 5 months of WW and before my wedding) - 195
2007 (newly pregnant) - 227
2008 (very pregnant) - 262
2008 (breastfeeding) - 219
2009 (South Beach) - 224
2010 (now) - 234

I am SO frustrated. I first joined this site last year when I tried the South Beach diet and after losing about 10 pounds it just bottomed out and I stopped being able to resist fall pumpkin treats. WW worked pretty well, but I can't afford it at the moment.

What I'm trying now is basically the Costco version of SlimFast, which is the type of diet that worked when I was younger and was what my mom always did to lose weight (it worked well for her). I do like not having to think about breakfast and lunch (I resent even boiling an egg, I don't like to cook) or being able to substitute a lunch out for a drink for dinner. I also use CalorieKing to keep track of my daily calories, which are about 1600/day. Also because of my current work circumstances (I'm a prof on sabbatical), I'm home until January, when I'll resume teaching again.

So I'm only three days in, and have been combining this with exercise (five mile bike ride yesterday, dancing in front of the TV, walking) and so far NOTHING has happened. Not even the water weight loss I used to get early in a diet. And this is where I usually just give up. Forget it. If it's not going to work by now, even a little bit, then it's not going to work, and it's because of the Hashimoto's and I can't lose weight so why try and I'll just be huge and get huger forever and ever because if this was going to work I'd see some indication.

Plus, how's this for weird, I have an older half sister who has been morbidly obese all of my life. She's 53 and in the last 3 years has lost 367 pounds (you read that right). I am incredibly, amazingly proud of her. At the same time, this is the first time ever in my life that I've weighed more than she does. And all my life I've been heavy but known that I was lighter than her and always would be and now that's gone and it's weird. At this point I don't need to weigh less than her, but I'd love to be back where I feel healthy and good about myself. Her goal is 110. More power to her. I'd love to see 150 or 170 again, or heck, get under 200. I hate this.

But I don't know how to keep going when the numbers on the scale don't budge!

Daisy
DaisyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi Daisy and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #3  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

to 3FC!
Don't worry about the scale moving just yet. Just work on getting a healthy food/diet plan that is suited to you and getting on plan. When you get that accomplished, combined with your exercise the scale will start to move in a favorable direction. But right now you're causing yourself a lot of stress by wanting to see immediate results.
Hugs and support on your weight loss journey
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #4  
Future Mrs.

S/C/G: 291.6 / ticker / 175

Height: 5'9

It's only been 3 days. You have to be a little more committed than that if you are gonna lose anything. It didn't take 3 days to gain it...right? You can do this! Are you on any kind of treatment? Good Luck!
justjill124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Don't stress about the results not showing up in only a couple of days - the time will pass anyway - use it to get healthier, be more active and be a good role model for your child. Take measurements so you have other ways to view progress. Pull out a pair or shorts or pants that might just be barely wearable - put them on every three weeks or so and see if you can pull them up more, now zip them, etc. Don't rely on that scale to be your motivator. It has to come from your desire to be healthier, etc.

You CAN do this - just one day, one meal at a time. We all backslide now and then, or at least most of us do, but it's the constant pushing forward that will get you to where you want to be.

Be proud that you're committed to doing this and don't let a number on the scale affect your motivation - that motivation will recede before long and then it's just you doing it because it's what you do!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #6  
Owned by Dixie

Welcome!
I am 42, 2 boys teens. married, BUT I will tell you that this is a long haul of small changes and I think it is best to pick a plan you can live with forever!

For me it has been calorie counting. I have another 15 lbs to go but it is slow and steady, I eat foods I love because I make them fit into my plan, I have gotten through holidays, vaccation and frankly teen boys that eat so much food it is unbelievable!

I bought a bodybugg about 18 months ago and it changed my life!

As the only woman in the house it took me a long time to understand I can't eat like a man. I have to eat fewer calories becuse I just don't need them but figuring out how much I could eat and lose or maintain was eye opening and my BB was the tool for me.

So hang in there, read around, maybe start with calorie counting, you can look up your BMR and maybe start there with a daily caloric intake and I would stress getting out of the house for a walk. Both are free and a really easy way to start until you find a plan that looks like how you like to eat and live.

OH and we all eat the same way in my house. Salad is the base of our meal with a protien, I tend not to make carb side dishes since the kids get plenty in snacks and breads for lunch and usually in dessert if they chose to have it.

good luck and keep posting, that helps a lot too!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #7  

Hi and thanks everybody.

I was just really frustrated when I wrote that. I just keep settling in the 232-236 range no matter what I seem to do (I've tried calorie-counting and/or low carb maybe 4-5 different times in the last year for 2-3 weeks with few results), so I'm really going to try to have a place like 3FC to check in for accountability and inspiration.

I tend to dive in, see a loss of 2-3 pounds, see a small gain, and then throw in the towel and eat whatever, whenever I want. My husband does most of the cooking and he thinks we should be eating the same amount even though he's 6'2" and I'm 10 inches shorter!

Part of my issue is trying to understand how much my Hashimoto's is coming into play. My numbers are under control now, but it's easy to convince myself that nothing I do will work because my body's out of whack anyway. My mom has always been really critical of my weight and I think even she's convinced that it's out of my control.

Anyway, I'm just back from a 2.5 mile walk and am hoping to just power through. Maybe I'll see results at some point?

Thanks for everyone's encouragement!
Daisy
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Deep breath!

Ok so if DH does the cooking, use your measuring tools and get a scale if you don't have one. portion control may be the best place to start for you. no big changes except sticking to portion control of anything you want to eat. Also I would write it down.

Also a frank talk with your husband that you appriciate that he cooks, I know I do when my DH and now son like too cook, but that you really want to figure out how to live with your health issue, I have one too, and gaining more weight is just not working for you. Just because we live together does not mean that each person is not entitled to their special needs, afterall, you are not making your 2yr old eat man size portions either right?

Start slow, like I said before it is about finding how life is going to work for you, and being true to you is where it starts.

Also I will tell you that when I first started, all I did was write down what I ate and the calories for each food, no wonder I was getting fatter and fatter. my next step was portions. You can do this, just take that first small step and for crying out loud, only Weigh in onece a week for now you have too much tied up in that number right now.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #9  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Hi Daisy, and

First things first. Yes, you can do this!

I can totally relate, as most of my weight gain came in the years before my thyroid was removed and I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. With regard to thyroid replacement hormones (Synthroid, Eltroxin, levothyroxine in Canada) (and I'm quoting/paraphrasing from a booklet from Thyroid Cancer Canada here) I wanted to flag that "you should swallow your thyroid replacement hormone pill with water only. Food, minerals and other medications will bind with the hormone and interfere with its absorption. You can take your pill in the morning, an hour before eating. Alternatively, you can take your pill at bedtime." The foods that can interfere with absorption include: iron-containing medications, large doses of aluminium hydroxide gels (Maalox, etc.), soy protein supplements, calcium and foods containing calcium. "If any of these items must be consumed, they should be taken 5 hours away from the hormone replacement pill..."

I flag this because many people are unaware and take their pills too close to their meals. This can be especially problematic if they take their meds in the a.m. and use meal replacement drinks as their first meal of the day, as these are often based on soy.

Apologies if you already knew all this, and for the length of the post!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #10  

You need to keep away from soy. Can you do meal replacement drinks the rest of your life? You don't want a diet. You want to make permanent changes to your lifestyle (including cooking) if you want to lose weight and be healthy. For exercise to contribute significantly to weight loss, you need an hour a day, doesn't have to be all at once or the same thing. What you eat is just as important as how many calories the total is. You body needs certain foods to be healthy and function well.

I have Hashimoto's, too, and started at 356 pounds and now am 156 so weight loss is possible.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #11  

Height: 5'0"

Hi, Daisy. You can do this! Give it more time and I bet you see results. I am doing this right now, too- adjusting to find what REALLY works for me. These forums have been wonderful when it comes to support and advice!
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #12  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Welcome to 3FC, we are glad you are here!
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #13  

Hi again,

And thanks for the encouragement. It's nice to hear from other Hash people too.

I usually wake up at some point during the night to use the bathroom and I have my thyroid medicine and a glass of water ready, so I usually take my pill between 2-4 am. I don't generally eat anything until 8 or so, but I'll be careful about what kinds of foods are eaten close by. That said, my dose was upped recently and my current TSH (I've never had T3 or T4 done where they've told me numbers) is really low, .85 or so.

The good news is Aunt Flo arrived yesterday and took a bunch of weight off. So I've been seeing some results finally. And I've been exercising.

As for meal replacements, I know there's a lot of variation in how people respond, but back in my 20s when I was at a healthy weight, I did pretty much live on them for one or two meals a day and it worked well. There used to be a meal replacement drink called Sego, and a bar whose name I can't remember (I came back to add it - Figurines!) - it was kind of like a wafer and they made a variety of flavors... anyway, it was common for me to eat those as a regular thing. I wish we still had that bar, they were good.

I had to ask my husband for more support yesterday after he put a huge plate of spaghetti and parmesan cheese in front of me after I said I didn't want any, but I'm feeling better now, and it's great to hear from Hashimoto's people who have lost weight. Is there a thread for Hashimoto's I don't know about? I've looked.

Have a good day everyone,
Deana

Last edited by DaisyDuck; 09-10-2010 at 08:53 AM.