Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/270/140

Height: 5' 3"

Default New Here-Need Help & Support To Loose 130 Pounds

Hello! I am new here. I need to loose 130 pounds. I have been overweight for 20 years. I was a very active teenager and young adult, but that changed when I reached age 30. I noticed that my weight problems started after being in the hospital with pneumonia and was treated with IV & oral steroids. After the hospitalization, I was on steroids for asthma for about 3 years. I went from weighing 120 pounds to 180 in one year. Over the years I have lost 30-40 pounds and put it back on and then my weight would stay the same for a few years and then I would gain more. I have T2 diabetes and started using insulin on a daily basis last September and my weight has hit an all time high. I also take 2 other medications that cause weight gain. I have not been able to get rid of these medications, so I must learn to deal with the weight gain potential problems. I have not started on any type of diet yet, but I have chosen August 1 as my start date. In the meantime, I need to figure out what my options are for what kind of a weight loss program to use. I am not good with exercise and have some diabetic nerve pain in my feet and this keeps me from walking for long distances. I have to loose some weight, I am having a hard time getting in and out of the bathtub. HELP!
sheddy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #3  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Default Welcome

Welcome and we hope you find lots of support here. I know you said August 1st is your diet day but why not start now with healthier food choices and habits. Take it one day at a time and we will be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddy59 View Post
Hello! I am new here. I need to loose 130 pounds. I have been overweight for 20 years. I was a very active teenager and young adult, but that changed when I reached age 30. I noticed that my weight problems started after being in the hospital with pneumonia and was treated with IV & oral steroids. After the hospitalization, I was on steroids for asthma for about 3 years. I went from weighing 120 pounds to 180 in one year. Over the years I have lost 30-40 pounds and put it back on and then my weight would stay the same for a few years and then I would gain more. I have T2 diabetes and started using insulin on a daily basis last September and my weight has hit an all time high. I also take 2 other medications that cause weight gain. I have not been able to get rid of these medications, so I must learn to deal with the weight gain potential problems. I have not started on any type of diet yet, but I have chosen August 1 as my start date. In the meantime, I need to figure out what my options are for what kind of a weight loss program to use. I am not good with exercise and have some diabetic nerve pain in my feet and this keeps me from walking for long distances. I have to loose some weight, I am having a hard time getting in and out of the bathtub. HELP!
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/147.8/135

Height: 5'4''

Well, kudos to you for taking the first step in making a change! I am trying lose weight also and so far, this website has been a major help!! I buddied up with another girl from the site so we could keep each other accountable and have someone to talk to. I dislike exercising too...not many people actually ENJOY it but it's going to be something you have to do. Start out small. There are SO many other things you can do besides walking. I suggest trying lots of different things until you find something that you can enjoy...and if you can't enjoy it then something you can tolerate lol. Try biking, walking, swimming (really good if you have knee issues and things like that), tae bo, or some kind of boxing which burns a lot of calories. You can do it at home. You don't have to go join a gym unless you really want to.

As far as dieting..I don't know the specifics for people with T2 diabetes, but maybe you could try Weight Watchers? Do it at home online if you want. That's what I'm doing and I absolutely love it. You get a portion control wake up call and follow a points system. I get a marker and write all the points values on my food so when I go to grab something or make dinner I know exaclty how many points it all is. You can research diets for people specifically with diabetes also or just count calories. Sorry I'm writing a lot, but I hope it all helps and good luck!!
Sunshinenmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #5  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losing It 2010 View Post
Welcome and we hope you find lots of support here. I know you said August 1st is your diet day but why not start now with healthier food choices and habits. Take it one day at a time and we will be here.
I have some food that I just can't throw out, so I need to get rid of all the no-no's. I would just throw it all out, but there is too much money involved. I also need to decide whether I want to follow Weight Watchers or the Atkins plan. Need to come up with my game plan and have my famous "last supper". I have already made the decision to enter the weight loss zone again. A few weeks to get prepared won't hurt my efforts.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinenmysoul View Post
Well, kudos to you for taking the first step in making a change! I am trying lose weight also and so far, this website has been a major help!! I buddied up with another girl from the site so we could keep each other accountable and have someone to talk to. I dislike exercising too...not many people actually ENJOY it but it's going to be something you have to do. Start out small. There are SO many other things you can do besides walking. I suggest trying lots of different things until you find something that you can enjoy...and if you can't enjoy it then something you can tolerate lol. Try biking, walking, swimming (really good if you have knee issues and things like that), tae bo, or some kind of boxing which burns a lot of calories. You can do it at home. You don't have to go join a gym unless you really want to.

As far as dieting..I don't know the specifics for people with T2 diabetes, but maybe you could try Weight Watchers? Do it at home online if you want. That's what I'm doing and I absolutely love it. You get a portion control wake up call and follow a points system. I get a marker and write all the points values on my food so when I go to grab something or make dinner I know exaclty how many points it all is. You can research diets for people specifically with diabetes also or just count calories. Sorry I'm writing a lot, but I hope it all helps and good luck!!
I am looking into following Weight Watchers again. I am a lifetime member and have had success on the plan. I not only need to diet but I need to change the way I eat --period---Until it clicks in my head, I will always have a weight problem. Since I take insulin, which is a hormone, weight gain is not unusual. I am looking to buy a stationary bike, I need to find one that will support my current weight. I am looking everywhere, I am sure that I will find one.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #8  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Type 2 diabetes can often be eliminated by losing weight and sometimes it does not take a huge weight loss to see better sugar control. This should be a great motivator to you! Good luck in your weight loss goals and visit 3FC often for support and advice.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Good Luck !

Why wait till tomorrow when you can start today?
BlueEyes65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #10  

Height: 67.7

Hi

Welcome to the forum! You are sure to get the support you need here.

If you have medical issues (like diabetes and such), common weight loss diets may not even work for you. And even if they do, they may not be that healthy for you or meet your needs.

If you have the money for it, I would highly advise you to go and see a dietitian. She will be able to help you with your weight loss while also taking your condition in consideration and also meeting all your other needs as well.

A great exercise that you can try is Aero Pilates. It's very light on the feet and joints and it actually increases your circulation and may help with the pain in your feet. A recent study also showed that it is just as effective as running on a treadmill.

Good luck with everything!
Suzie Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Parker View Post
Hi

Welcome to the forum! You are sure to get the support you need here.

If you have medical issues (like diabetes and such), common weight loss diets may not even work for you. And even if they do, they may not be that healthy for you or meet your needs.

If you have the money for it, I would highly advise you to go and see a dietitian. She will be able to help you with your weight loss while also taking your condition in consideration and also meeting all your other needs as well.

A great exercise that you can try is Aero Pilates. It's very light on the feet and joints and it actually increases your circulation and may help with the pain in your feet. A recent study also showed that it is just as effective as running on a treadmill.

Good luck with everything!
Hello! I have seen a dietician and she basically gave me a 1200 calorie a day diet. One that was very basic and there was not a whole lot of flexibility to it. I took a MedGem test and I know what my resting metabolism rate is, which is a nice thing to know. There isn't any special diet that someone with diabetes has to follow, the lower the carbs the better and foods with no added sugar or simple carbs.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #12  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to 3FC! I hope you can find a great community here as I and many others like you have found. Good for you for seeing a professional! Set small goals, eat whole foods and find ways to exercise that you are able to do, perhaps swimming/water aerobics or cycling. Good luck!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote