Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Smile Hello!

Hi everyone! Thought I'd drop by and introduce myself.

I'm at a point I never thought I'd get to- over 300lbs. That's a little scary to even type. My weight is impacting areas of my life that I never imagined. I literally pant getting dressed. It hurts to move because there’s so much pressure on my joints and even standing for a short period takes a great deal of effort. So, I don’t move much on a typical day and that, of course, makes it worse. It’s difficult to do anything remotely physical and incredibly embarrassing to do it in front of another person. I have what feels like panic attacks without any apparent cause. I’m uncomfortable doing anything that isn’t sitting on my couch. I feel trapped by my own body and have no one to blame but myself. Even though I’ve been overweight most of my life, this is the first time I’ve ever really felt unhealthy because of it. This is not what I want my life to be.

I'm desperate for real change in my life, not just a change in my body (but that would be great, too!). I’ve done all the research and know what I’d like to do for a plan, but I’m stuck at the motivation to put it into action. Every Sunday I say that Monday is the day I’ll start anew and weeks go by. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

In the meantime, I’m glad I’ve joined 3FC. Looking around I can tell I’ve come to the right place! I wish everyone luck on their journeys :-)
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Hi Viviane & welcome to the board!

You came to the right place for support and we're glad to have you here! If you need a jump start on motivation - go to the "Goals" and "Mini Goals" photo album threads. Reading the stories about people who WERE in our shoes and how they accomplished their goals is really, truely inspiring.

If they can do it, so can we. Start small with your exercise- maybe get off the couch at every commercial and fast walk around your house for minute. Little, consistent changes are what will make the change. Start cutting back your calorie intake a little bit more each week - you'll see the pounds start to drop off FAST!

Don't wait 'til Monday. Start right now, at your next meal, make some healthier choices. You'll feel very empowered :-)
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #3  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

Welcome Viviane

You can do this. Like Danielle said, the goals and mini goals section is very inspiring. Others have been where we are, and if they can do it, so can we!

Diets start on Mondays. A new life started the day you signed up at this site!
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #4  

Hey! Welcome Vivian!

Keep pushing. Look for motivation in how you feel. That uncomfortableness that you say you feel is motivation enough girl! If you feel trapped by your body, let your motivation be the goal of freeing yourself from it. :-) Keep us updated with your progession!
ChunkySmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

If you are looking for inspiration and "motivation", try looking through our Success Stories here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#success-stories

Here's my suggestions for getting started.

First decide on a plan. Calorie counting is what I do..it's simple and FREE. I track my calories at sparkpeople.com for FREE. You can find out more about calorie counting and other eating plans here at our Diet Central - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#diet-central

As for calorie intake, I don't believe there is any person(not even doctor, nutritionist, etc), website, book or device that can tell you the exact number of calories you need each day for your body to lose weight. It is about trial and error but you do need a starting ground and I suggest getting it from here - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm Input your info and take the number they give you as a place to start, work it for a few weeks then tweak as necessary.

Exercise - I do DVDs and hand weights at home for FREE. Running is FREE, walking is FREE. You can also join a gym. Numerous options here. I suggest reading through the Fitness section here at 3FC - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#fitness

Good luck with your goals and keep us updated on your success

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #6  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

hi viviane! i was feeling exactly how you are about 14 months ago. i was all set with my plan, and kept putting it off for over a month. so i say. just do it. start RIGHT now. dont wait for a monday, or after a holiday, or after your mother in law leaves, etc. even if you feel that you've already blown it today, remember that a day is never totally blown until you go to sleep. better to start now then to consume all those calories that you wouldve tonight. once you start, you find out it's not as bad as you thought after you get into the routine.

whats your plan?

Last edited by juliastl27; 04-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/282/145

Welcome to the board. I am also new here. If your body hurts to move and you are easily winded there are small things you can start with. From watching a couple programs on TLC on people weighing over 700 pounds they say any movement is good. Start by sitting on the couch and doing leg lifts and arm curls. Before long you should be able to move a little easier. You CAN do it. Like others have said don't wait til Monday start now. Good luck to you.
cyndi0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Thanks so much for all the encouragement! You guys are great!

Danielle- thanks for the tip on the albums- it was amazing to see all the transformations! There are a couple that I know I'll refer back to again and again, they're so inspiring. And, you're absolutely right, waiting for another Monday is insanity. I'll be going grocery shopping for a healthy dinner tonight!

volleyballsis- Love this: "Diets start on Mondays. A new life started the day you signed up at this site!"

ChunkySmoo- Good idea! I should think of how trapped I feel every time my motivation starts to wane!

Onderchic- Great suggestions and links (I made sure to favorite them!)- thanks!

juliastl- You're so right about the whole day being blown line of thinking- I do that constantly. I'll be at lunch with girlfriends and indulge a little and then think "well, this day's shot anyway, might as well go all out!" It's so destructive.
My plan is to follow the Eat-Clean Diet, which is more like a lifestyle change than a "diet." I know that it'll take a real change in my life to change my body and diets are so limiting and unrealistic for me (not knocking any one else's decision to go on one, I just know that it doesn't work for ME). I'm excited about starting it! How about you? Is there a plan that you enjoy?

cyndi- Welcome and good luck to you, too!

Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You're welcome
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote