Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 348/315/200

Height: 5'9"

Default Former Lurker

Hi,
I have been lurking for sometime here and have gotten a lot of information and ideas from the members. I think I can get more out of the site, as well as help give support if I stop lurking and start posting.

Many of the posts I have read have been from women who have struggled with their weight from an early age and that is me also. It's been an ongoing problem since I hit puberty. From then until I was an adult I tried a few diets and drastic eating plans only to fail. An extreme diet plan usually leads to failure and weight gain, who would have thought. I had short term success on more sane diets but I failed them. The thing I had to learn was I didn't need a diet, I needed a change.

The main reason for wanting to and deciding to make the changes are health reasons. I have diabetes,pre-diabetes, heart disease,and other fun stuff on both sides of my family so I need to do what I can to prevent/hold off those things.

My plan so far has been to make myself aware of my food choices. I have been keeping a hand written food journal and that helps make me aware of how many calories I consume and what I am eating. I think it was a good start. I've been picking up better foods to have around and cutting back while trying to decide which plan is right for me.

The bad thing is I don't exactly know what my CW is since my scale goes to 330 and it errors out when I stand on it. So my first goal is to get to a measurable weight (for my scale anyhow). This is a horrible place to be at this point in my life, but it can be fixed.

Thank you for reading my intro, it took me all week to get the courage to start posting but I think it will help. Best wishes to everyone working on their health. The success stories and goal posts are incredibly inspirational. It will be awesome when I have met my first goal and have a positive to post as well.
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome Former Lurker!
Journeling is a great first step! There are so many supportive nonjudgmental people on this site. I am glad you got the courage to finally post. The first few steps are the hardest. Good Luck!
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #3  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

Welcome and congrats on deciding to de-lurk! Everyone's very friendly and helpful. Good luck - can't wait to see your first goal-achieved post!
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #4  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

On becoming a DE-LURKER! What a brave soul! Keep posting so we can get to know you better...I look forward to the opportunity!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #5  

Thank you for the welcome Helen for the welcome and luck.

Charlie, thank you I appreciate it and can't waqit to post it either.

Cathy, thank you for the kind words, and I look forward to getting to know you also.

As of right now I am glad that it is Friday, but even more glad that I have support here to help keep me from going off the deep end eating badly. I know I can read the goal,mini goal,and picture posts and that will remind me of what is important.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

You can do this! One step at a time!

Welcome!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #7  

Thank you Astrophe
Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #8  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

PS Your BUNNY is soooooooooo cute!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! I, too, lurked for three months before getting the courage to post the first time. Kind of scary to jump in as this is the first online forum I've been on. Like astrophe said "One step at a time". You can do it.
Slowlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
PS Your BUNNY is soooooooooo cute!
Thank you, just a cute image I found on an avatar site.

Thank you slowlane for the welcome. You are both right, one step at a time is the way to do it.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Default hi

Welcome, former lurker!

We are about the same height; my brother was diabetic, and I worry about that too. I wouldn't mind looking a lot better : ) but I REALLY want to be healthier. Tell us about your food/exercise plans.

We can do this!
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynna View Post
Welcome, former lurker!

We are about the same height; my brother was diabetic, and I worry about that too. I wouldn't mind looking a lot better : ) but I REALLY want to be healthier. Tell us about your food/exercise plans.

We can do this!
Hi guynna thank you for the welcome and encouragement. My main plan is to cut back on sugar,simple carbs and replace them with veggies,fruits and complex carbs. The plan I am kind of leaning towards is the Insulin Resistance diet. As for exercise I like biking and swimming so I have my exercise bike and when it gets nicer on a regular basis will probably be taking family walks. I would love to get a Y membership so we can all swim more also.