Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/262/150

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default Today is Day 1 - looking for advice

Hi All! Today is my day 1 of getting serious about my health including weight. I'm 42. 5' 7", and 262.5. I've steadily put on weight for the last several years, going from healthy and active to unhealthy and non-moving.

I always thought I could get it under control if I'd just start, but I've not been able to get started. I don't understand why it's so hard for me to just do it. When I put my mind towards something at work, I always succeed. But for some reason I can't do the same for ME.

I blamed long work hours, long commute, etc., but I've been able to work from home for over the last year and I still can't get up and get with it.

In general my eating habits are kinda ok, but I do have McDonalds or something sweet about once per week. I eat lots of healthy vegetables and limit red meat. I used to drink lots and lots of water, but not anymore.

One problem was stopping work before I'm too tired to do anything else. I work too many hours. While I've improved the hours working and I have time to work out, I still just don't do it.

Today it all stopped. I haven't eaten anything bad. I'm doing the treadmill for 30 mins and will go on a walk later with my dog. I thought about doing a food/exercise journal. And I like Alton Brown's rules which I'm pretty sure I can work in to my life and succeed. And I've put reminders on my calendar to drink water until it is a habit again.

I hope coming clean here will help get me off my rump and moving. I plan to come here each day and especially when I feel like eating something I shouldn't and when I can't make myself get moving. I'm not planning to follow a specific diet - just eat healthy, avoid the bad stuff and get move.

I would love to hear from others who maybe have had similar struggles and can maybe give me some other ideas where to start.
JosieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'd not change a thing other than keeping a food journal for 2 weeks. Don't do anything special. Just write it down.

Sometimes you have to know where you are coming from before you can figure out where you want to go from there.

Then you can use that log to help you make the tweaks needed and help you see the patterns that emerge.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-18-2010 at 08:29 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/on my way/145

Height: 5'7

I agree. A food journal is the best thing you can do. Last fall I jointed WW and lost 15 lbs. It all went bad just as soon as I got lazy and stopped. I have a similiar weight loss plan to you. I am going to keep my calories at 2000 (for now) and be active in some way 6 days a week. Keeping a food journal will help me keep track....and being on here of course!
sunray077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome JosieSue,
I am 56 and hoping this is my last diet. I too have been successful at work etc. I just have never gotten my weight under control. I thought I would have figured it out by now! I retired last year and still struggle with exercising. I agree with the others that writing everything down is very important. It is also important to measure/weigh your food. Those two things have really helped me stay on track. You mentioned that you eat kind of healthy and only treat yourself to McDonalds and a sweet once a week. Those two things shouldn't have you gaining. That is why it is important to write everything down. 1 T of olive oil is healthy but also 120 calories. When I don't write it down and measure I end up eating more than I need.
I couldn't do this on my own so I joined Metabolic Research Center and go there twice a week to weigh in. I have adjusted their menu to one that suits me. Good Luck, keep writing in and letting us know how you are doing.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #5  

JosieSue,
Boy do I get it! This is my first day on the forum and already the support I have seen is amazing. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

I have never heard of Alton Brown so I'll have to check him out. Staying accountable to others has definitely been one of the biggest things that has helped me and I know many others.

As for water, that is the one thing that I have kept going, at least 10 glasses a day for over 5 years now. I hardly drink much else but the occasional juice if I need a change of pace. It's the food I struggle with so maybe between us we can get it together ha ha

Welcome to the forum!

Angie
angienewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 262/262/150

Height: 5' 7.5"

WOW! Thank you all! Your support is probably just what I need.

I'm sure portions is a big part of this. We generally eat the right stuff, but the amount is too much especially when I don't exercise.

Thanks all and good luck to you too on your goals.
JosieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/198/140

Height: 5' 7"

writing down everything helps a lot!
jstanorangecountygrl is offline   Reply With Quote