Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/190/140

Height: 5'8"

Default I Want to Start Over

Hey! My name is Frances, and I'm a 16 year old high school student on a mission to lose weight.

I've been overweight since I was very young, about 9 or so, and I can't really remember what it feels like to be thin. And I don't want to spend the rest of my life not knowing what it's like. I'm already 240 pounds, and I know that I can't procrastinate anymore because it'll only get harder as I get older. So here I am, ready to defeat my rolls.

I've already got a question, but it's not related to weight-loss. Can anyone tell me how to edit my signature? I looked under User CP, but couldn't find it. The answer is probably painfully obvious, but it looks like I'm going to need help figuring it out anyway. :P
Rythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #2  
sun

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

hey welcome! the answer to you question is you don't get a signature for 20 days. Good luck! you can do it!
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

WOW...I AM you! Congrats for being willing to make a change! You can not have a signature until you have made a certain amount of posts, and been around for a certain amount of days. I can help you, and I would love to be friends! Do you have a facebook?
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #4  

I don't have Facebook, but you can reach me through e-mail (it looks like I'll have to PM it to you). And thank you, I need all the help I can get. :P

EDIT: I don't know how to PM people either. [face-palm] Do I have to wait to use that feature too?

Last edited by Rythm; 01-26-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #5  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

It does look like you'l have to wait for that one too! Well I'm here when you get those capabilities!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #6  
This is the time!

S/C/G: 175/165/150

Height: 5'9"

Welcome to the club! Congratulations to you for making the choice to make a change! With hard work, you can do anything you set your mind to! I look forward to seeing your progress!
jewels05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/210/175

Height: 5'11''

Congrats on making that decision! YOU CAN DO IT! I'm also here if you need me; I am 21 and about to graduate college, and I have a similar experience as you. PM me or whatever anytime you want; I'm here for you!
Lahlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #8  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Frances!
It can be confusing when you first join - check out the Announcements and Forum Help section - it has the answers to a lot of questions you may have starting out and navigating around - the support you need is here - we'll all be her to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation. Browse around, clicking on whatever catches your eye, there are many wonderful and interesting people here.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #9  

Thank you, everyone. I look forward to getting to know you guys, since I definitely won't be leaving this forum. <3
Old 01-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #10  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Nice to meet you, I'm Sammi, 23, and about to graduate with my masters. I know how it is to want to know what it feels like to be skinny, too. Hope to see you around.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #11  

Your masters, eh? You must work very hard. I'm barely making it through high school and it feels like a load of work, so I can't imagine doing what you do. I'd never make it. :P

... Are you a fan of One Piece?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #12  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I am a HUGE One Piece fan!!!!

I've also seen a person around here with the username thousandsunny, so there are clearly more of us around too!

Last edited by aliquot; 01-28-2010 at 12:16 AM.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Frances and welcome.

I'm old enough to be your mother. Who am I kidding? I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother....so here's a bit of grandmotherly advice.

It would be fabulous to take care of this now...because believe me, you canNOT ever get those years back. And high school is a special event in one's life...a real milestone, actually. And when you get older, you will indeed realize that these years are not a "practice" for when you actually start your "real" life. I think it was John Lennon who said "life happens while you're making plans" and he was so right. Unfortunately, how right he was doesn't really hit you until you're older......and you look back and go what the heck happened?

And this doesn't even factor in how much being overweight affects your health negatively as you get older. You're young now and have NO idea how tough it can get years from now if you don't take care of yourself. Being overweight can cause not only all sorts of chronic health problems but also eventual painful conditions due to putting so much weight on our weight-bearing joints. The sooner you take care of this, the less damage can be done...that will manifest itself years from now.

You have a fantastic opportunity here so please take advantage of it. You are so young and can fix this now and it will pay off for you so much in the long run. You just don't realize this now as much as you will when you get older. When people get older, still overweight, painful joints/back can make it difficult, if not impossible to exercise and then they're stuck with having to lose the weight strictly via dieting. Becoming sedentary can make you even more overweight and then you feel trapped and overwhelmed.

You're young and healthy and this is SUCH a great idea to do this now...believe me.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/202/145

Height: 5'5

Hey Frances! welcome!! I just started using this site and I'm a whole lot more motivated. I 'm 21 and getting my life back together. Hope to see you around !!
wonderwoman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliquot
I've also seen a person around here with the username thousandsunny, so there are clearly more of us around too!
I've actually never seen it, but being the anime geek I am, I instantly recognised your display image. :P

Deena. Your message was a little unsettling, but very honest. It helped strengthen my belief that I need to do this. Thank you. I haven't weighed myself recently, but I've started the Atkins diet and have been exercising. Fingers crossed.

Wonderwoman88, thank you for the support.

And the rest of you, thanks again.

Last edited by Rythm; 02-02-2010 at 04:28 PM.