Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #1  
Awesomeness!

S/C/G: 194/194/150

Height: 5'9"

Default hellos

Hi all.

I am 25 yrs old from Chicago and I'm an addict. A CARB ADDICT. I eat pasta daily. I crave bread at about 2:30 in the afternoon. I froth at the mouth thinking about mashed potatoes.
It's disturbing... I could go on, but I won't.

There's no excuse for my weight, which right now is hovering between 185-190. I was an athlete all my young life, and then went to college and discovered microbrews and fried fish, and pesto sauce, and the unholy miracle of mashed potato bars at my favorite local restaurant. I went from being 145 to 200lbs(+) in about 3 years. Of course, the massive amount of self-loathing wasn't enough to get me to re-think my life and get healthy. The fact that I can't fit into any pants in a "normal" store wasn't enough. Nope. Not even the state of my fitness (which is in no state at all-- I'm softer than the stay-pufft man and I can't run a mile without having a near death experience) could change me. I was a fat chick, and I had accepted it.

Until last week. Last week, I got the stomach flu, and barfed my guts out for two days. The sick, sad person I had become was excited, because I knew even though my body was ravaged by an illness... that I was probably losing weight because I couldn't keep anything down.

Something in me just snapped. Here I was, overweight, with a 28 BMI, neglecting myself in so many ways, unrecognizable to myself in pictures, hugging a toilet, and excited because I was upchucking relentlessly and I could hardly wait to see if I would lose weight from it.

Yep. Psychotic.

Anyway, I am here to lose about 50 pounds. I have trolled this site all day reading posts, looking at pictures, and building momentum that began when I stood up from the porcelain throne and looked in the mirror at my pudgy barf-smeared face and said "F THIS".

So hi, and thanks already for the chance to vent/release some energy, and looking forward to more inspiration and such from this super cool site.
geewhizkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/184/130ish - 33 y.o.

Height: 5'2"

hey whizkid. i'm glad you happened on this site in your quest to find some forward momentum. there are a lot of good people, stories, motivators here.. and it's open 24/7.
i hear you on the good food and beer thing, addictive. i am a glutton to the max; i love food.

for me, i started on this path about two months ago and it's been difficult for sure to be aware of what goes in my mouth all the time. but ultimately, for ME, it comes down to this: life is about the experiences you have and the people. not food.

glad you're here and good luck on the changes.
jlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/210/165

Height: 5'10

you're so funny! but we sound so much alike...mmm potatoes, we're having a rough break up.
BeatnikMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #4  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi geewhizkid!
I think many here can relate to feeling glad for illness as a way to lose weight, we've all had those crazy moments - sounds like you're ready to get going - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on..

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the 20 somethings, the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation. Maybe check out the Carb Counters for lots of info on different eating plans that might be right for you.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #5  
Awesomeness!

S/C/G: 194/194/150

Height: 5'9"

thanks everyone, glad to be here.

love this dancing carrot guy-- look at him go...
geewhizkid is offline   Reply With Quote