Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 259.6/259.6/170

Height: 5'7"

Default Why would it work THIS time?

Let me throw a disclaimer out there and say I don't think there is a universal answer to weight loss in that we are all so different.

Mentally and physically we all respond to weight loss in our own way. I definetely do not think there is a "right" way to lose weight. There is just our ideal way as an individual.

I have been on Atkins, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting, Food exchanges, Starvation, Cabbage Soup, Juicefasting, ect. Even though none of these plans were my answer, I had to ask myself at the end of this year, "What will make it work this time?"

I just have to do what feels normal to me. For me, the answer will be a plan in which there is no measuring, no starving, no forbiddens, ect. I just am using common sense. The problem is that I know more weight will come off from excercising. That is the thing I have avoided.

So my plan is to stop eating like a 12 year old. I am going to eat healthy food. I know I'm not a gourmet cook, but I plan to be. Anyone can slap fatty dinners together and make them taste good. Fat, salt, ect... it is all wonderful tasting. The healthy stuff? That will be more challenging.

I am now becoming a food snob. If it isn't high-quality, it isn't getting in my body but once in a blue moon! But as I said, no concrete rules for me or I live to break them at the first sign of frusteration. Common sense. That is why it has to work for me.

Common sense is what needs to kick in when I realize that my heart is more important than fried chicken or mashed potatoes. Common sense is what makes me eat sauteed green beans instead of french fries. It is something that is not second nature by any means, but the only way for it to become second nature is to do it. Do. Do and then allow your mind to adjust after. If our heads started out in the right place we wouldn't be so overweight. Body first, the mind will follow.

Right now my brain is saying.. cheeseburger.. and my body is saying... greens!

It won't be easy this month. It may not be easy next month either. Eventually, it will be great!
XJennX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

We sound a like. I am making the same decisions. I am just making quality choices, its the only thing that will make it a lifetime lifestyle change. But nothing is totally off limits. I cook as healthy as I can and stopped making excuses to go out to dinner and lunch(that's how I use to sabotage myself) I also find healthy ways of cooking my favorite comfort foods like mac and cheese, cheeseburgers, ect. Right now i am on the hunt for a french fry alternative, or I will just have to limit how often I eat them.
I have discovered, that I am very rebellious, no one tells me what to do, not even me...LOL If I tell myself I cant have something, a little voice says "oh yeah? just watch me"
I have started a bit of measuring, I have found that about 3 to 4 cups of food and I am full so I make sure at least 2 to 3 cups of my dinner food is veggies so I measure that out since dinner is always the meal I over eat the most.
I wish you the best in your life style change.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

xJennx, I have the rule about high quality food too. The beauty of it is since I don't go through a drive-thru anymore, and don't eat as much, I can afford beautiful choices in my foods.

Also, if I take a bite of something that isn't healthy, I don't take another bite unless I absolutely adore it. This goes for anything.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Sounds like you have some great ideas about how to handle weight loss this time. And those choices are good permanent choices, too. (Unlike the cabbage soup diet.)

There are so many healthy, lower calorie recipes around 3FC that taste wonderful. There's an Exercise area where you might get some ideas about where to go & what to do.

Keep all the healthy stuff around you You can do this!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Sounds good to me. That's primarily what I focus on too. I did count calories and measure portions at first, although I don't anymore. I did find that very useful because it taught me a great deal. But I think what you are doing is a great way to go. If you're like most of us, you'll change a lot of things as you go along - personally, I liked that it went like that. Keeps things interesting.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 259.6/259.6/170

You all have great things to say and impressive results for sure. Maybe I should clarify a few things. I do have some guidelines I am following. My rule of thumb is one small normal portion of lean protein, sometimes a small portion of a starch such as brown rice, bulgur, or sweet potato; and as many healthy cooked veggies as I want. For breakfast I will have one serving of steel cut oats or an egg with ezekial toast. The idea is to go as minimal processed as possible. I also have to work on my water. I am sure there has to be a water challenge around here somewhere! lol

Also, I'm moving January 30th. I am hoping to join the womens gym around that area. My husband wouldn't be overly thrilled if it is too pricey though. I'll look into it in the near future. (But they have childcare!!! lol) I would love to do that.
XJennX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

After a while, you will find that the "yummy" fat/salty foods don't actually taste good anymore. It will make your stomach hurt.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote