Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Newbie from NYC

Hi all. I'm new here (obviously). I found this forum in a fit of Google frustration, trying to find out something about the correlation of weight to dress sizes.

I'm 25 years old and have never been thin, but I was never really fat either, until five years or so ago. A fair amount of the weight came from the medication I was on (doctor wouldn't believe me until my mother finally came with me to an appointment and said "She doesn't eat. She goes two days without eating, then has a couple of sandwiches. She CAN'T eat because the medication also upsets her stomach." Apparently my mother is more trustworthy than I am, because I got off the medication and dropped 20 pounds in a month without really doing anything different!) but it's my lifestyle that's keeping the weight on.

My lowest weight was 152 a few months ago. Now I'm back up to 165 or thereabouts, and I hate it. When my life starts to fall apart, I always end up saying "With all this,my weight doesn't matter, who cares?" and eat my feelings. I'm also easily bored and am usually doing three things at once if possible. You can guess what one of those things tends to be! Come on, guess! It probably doesn't help that my favorite foods are tomato products (anything made with tomatoes, I'm in, and that includes heavy pastas and pizza) and peanut butter.

I read something today about willpower that struck me. The author said that failure to stick to a diet isn't about lack of willpower, it's about not wanting it enough. When something is truly important, you will find the willpower. I'm hoping to find a way to remind myself daily that losing this weight is more important than eating what makes me feel "good" (which only lasts for a few seconds anyway!)

I've never actually dieted; usually I just eat less of what I normally eat and the weight comes off. But I think right now, where I am emotionally, a diet would be the better course of action. Right now, food ranks above looking good or being healthy (not a good mindset, I know, I'm working on it.), and I'm always hungry (literally, I almost always feel hungry, even when I know I can't possibly be.) So for now, anyway, I have to keep what I love away from me. Which isn't going to be easy. Which is why I came here in the first place.

Honestly, this is more about vanity than my health. But I've never been pretty. I'm not the kind of girl who can rock extra pounds - I just look bulgy and out-of-proportion. I'm not getting any younger, and this won't get any easier. I was doing well for a while, and I want to turn around and head back in that direction. I just need to find a way to do it. Before I spend my entire life looking like

...this was originally going to be a lot shorter. I guess that's something else about me - I tend to say in a paragraph what normal people say in three words. I'm working on that, too!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey there, Violet!

You may want to visit the 20-somethings, or possibly the Featherweights forum (for those with less to lose than others here). We also have groups for just about every eating plan out there.

You may have to do some work on figuring out what hunger is, and on alternatives to eating when you're feeling upset, but with dedication, you CAN do this.

Can't wait to see you around soon.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
But I've never been pretty. I'm not the kind of girl who can rock extra pounds - I just look bulgy and out-of-proportion.

Everyone is pretty!! What is "pretty" anyways?? It's what we're told it is (does that makes sense?). Anyways, I've never seen someone I couldn't find something beautiful about them! I cant wait to get to know you and see your beautiful personality!

You can do this!!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/184/145

Height: 5'2"

Hi there Violet. Welcome! I am new on the boards and I'm from NY too. You will find lots of inspiration here. Good luck on your journey!
grasshoppermf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Violet

You may also want to check out the Chicks in Control section to meet up with others who overeat emotionally.

You can do this! Best of success!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote