Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/249/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Another New User...

Good morning one and all. My name is Jennifer and I am a new member. I came across this site the other night and I have to say that it is probably the best thing that could have happened to me right now.

I have been struggling with my weight since, well forever. I have tried many programs and drugs over the years with sketchy results. Fen-phen worked wonders for me, however once I stopped taking it, all the weight came back then some. Then there was this other pill I came across (from an ad in the back of Cosmo, no less) called Stop Cal. Whatever this was, it too worked wonders for me. However they (the company?) just randomly disappeared. I needed to order another bottle, I called them, no answer and I have not been able to locate this company/product since.

So I basically have been just being super lazy and not really trying to do anything to loose the weight. This year I am going to be 30 and I decided that now is a good of time as any to become serious and start fighting this long battle I have in front of me.

I am basically alone in this fight. Just about everyone in my family has never had any issues with weight (with the exception of my father, who passed away 18 years ago, and my oldest brother who has in the last 5 years lost a tremondous amount of weight and now looks fabulous - so jealous! However he does not live close to me so it is hard to use him as a support system). I know my family would support me in any way that I need, however it is just hard for me to turn to them with this - probably because they just wouldn't completely understand what I will be going through.

My weight is a very sensitive issue for me (not that it isn't for everyone else...), but anytime it is brought up, I just clam up and shut down and push everyone away that tries to help me. Even when I was on diets that were working and I started to lose weight, if anyone noticed and complimented me, I would freak out. I would deny that I was on a diet and I would deny that I was loosing weight, I guess because I was embarrassed that I *had* to be on a diet in the first place. I never tell anyone when I am starting a new diet and I try to hide it from my friends and family. I am not very comfortable talking about myself in any way - especially my weight. So anytime I start a new diet program I do everything I can to keep it to myself. I guess I am just afraid of failing and then having everyone know that I am failure and have them look at me differently. So this is why I have never been able to turn to my family and friends for support. I am afraid of dissapointing them and I am afraid of failing AGAIN at another diet.

So I am just very happy that I found this group full of people who have been where I have been and will be fighting the same battle as me. I have a feeling that this truely is what I have needed all along to get me moving and motivated.

So thank you everyone in advance for your support and wisdom and guidance. I truley appreciate it!

Last edited by Matthey78; 04-24-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Matthey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #2  
Isabella's Mommy

S/C/G: 198/198/130

Nice to meet you Jennifer! My name is Jessica and I also came arcoss this site last night. I will be joining you in starting out on our journey to weight loss and I wish you all the luck in the world. I will be seeing you around the forums!
mommyofarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Welcome Jennifer!! Good luck with your journey, this site is a fantastic support system, I come here when I need to vent, when I need guidance and when I celebrate my little healthy eating/exercise victorys!!
You can do this!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #4  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

WELCOME Jennifer glad you found us.

As you know those pills are no good as far as long term, the best thing is diet & exercise and by diet I mean watching what you eat & how much of it.

Good luck and keep posting
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #5  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthey78 View Post
My weight is a very sensitive issue for me (not that it isn't for everyone else...), but anytime it is brought up, I just clam up and shut down and push everyone away that tries to help me. Even when I was on diets that were working and I started to lose weight, if anyone noticed and complimented me, I would freak out. I would deny that I was on a diet and I would deny that I was loosing weight, I guess because I was embarrassed that I *had* to be on a diet in the first place. I never tell anyone when I am starting a new diet and I try to hide it from my friends and family. I am not very comfortable talking about myself in any way - especially my weight. So anytime I start a new diet program I do everything I can to keep it to myself. I guess I am just afraid of failing and then having everyone know that I am failure and have them look at me differently. So this is why I have never been able to turn to my family and friends for support. I am afraid of dissapointing them and I am afraid of failing AGAIN at another diet. (wow I am such a DORK! I am sitting here at work typing this and I am starting to cry. My co-workers are really going to think I am crazy!)
Hi Jennifer! Welcome to the board, this place is totally amazing!!!! I see you have found your way to the 100lb Club. That is my favorite hang out!!! It's very active and very supportive.

Notice what I quoted has a big red section... my advice... DON'T GO ON A DIET! Your feeling are very normal and alot of us here have had issues with that. I personally came to terms with my weight when I started and quit being so ashamed, because I am doing something good and I do deserve PRAISE! I decided this time around was totally different for me, the first thing that I accepted was that I was going to have change for the rest of my life. That being said, I chose not to go on a diet. I do count the calories of everything I put in my mouth, and I do limit them, but to me that's not really a diet. To me a diet is saying "I can't eat this and I can't eat that". I don't do well when I'm told I can't do something, whether it be eating or a physical thing. I knew if I said I can't have chocolate I would fail the first day, instead I count the calories, try to make healthier choices (avoiding whites.. bread, pasta, rice and potatoes) and eat everything my heart desires in moderation. It has made a huge difference in my ability to keep going on this journey. I also have added in exercise. I'm not sure it makes me lose faster, but it does make me feel better about myself and I am starting to see some great results already!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

hi Jennifer -- welcome! You don't sound a bit dorky (or if you do, there are many many "dorks" in the world : ). I agree about not "dieting." I add too that when I (or you) fail at a particular thing that doesn't make me (or you) "a failure." When you have a bad day, you can get back on track the next day -- and this site is great for getting encouragement to do that.

You have made a great decision to get healthier, and you should be proud of yourself! When you feel better and look better and have more energy, people WILL notice, and you can say "thank you!" (Won't that be great?)
Keep us posted on how you're doing,
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to 3FC! I hope you will find it a lot easier to talk about weight and everything else related to that topic with us, and feel comfortable doing so. We're a friendly bunch. :-)
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #9  

Hello Everyone:

I just wanted to say hi and thank you for your encourgement and your advice. It is helping A LOT. I still don't know how to get started on 'loosing weight' but reading all of your posts is helping me a lot. So thank you again =)
Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

hi Jennifer -- something I've read here (good advice given by several people) is to just pick one thing to do this week: maybe it's "drink more water" or maybe it's "go for a walk four times a week." And do that thing. Next week, keep it up and add another "one thing." It adds up, and it becomes how you live your life, not a "diet." Remember to do things that are GOOD for YOU, b/c you deserve it : )
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jennifer, and
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 171/165.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Jennifer! Welcome
I have a problem with compliments too. Sometimes they make me feel crazy...like, how can i see myself one way or not notice something and others are complimenting me? OR, I feel you on the embarrassment scenario.
I feel if people have noticed me losing weight...they probably noticed me gaining weight too. meh.
luckylettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynna View Post
is to just pick one thing to do this week: maybe it's "drink more water" or maybe it's "go for a walk four times a week." And do that thing. Next week, keep it up and add another "one thing." It adds up, and it becomes how you live your life, not a "diet."
Anita - Thank you very much for this tidbit. When you break it down that way it makes total sense. I started changing a few things last week, like I take my dog for a pretty long walk every night (instead of around the block or just letting him run around in the back yard). He is getting up there in age so I can't take him too far, but I figured every little bit helps. I also started changing grocery list to change what I eat for lunch everyday. For me lunch is my main meal. I don't really eat dinner - if I am hungry then I will make something (usually a grilled cheese) but for the most part I just skip dinner all together. I know this is bad and I am starting to change that. Kind of going along with what you said about changing "one thing". Maybe this week I will start to incorporate dinner on a regular basis and not having grilled cheese!

Thanks again for all the support ladies. You guys rock!