Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #1  

Default Hey There! New to this site

Hey guys!

So, this is completely unlike to to join a site like this; however, I think it might be just the thing for me to help me along on my weight loss journey. It's nice to know there are others out there going thru the same thing. I sure wouldnt know it here because all of my friends are skinny little....beeps. lol jk. I'm 21 and fixing to start my second semester of Nursing school. With that being said, my energy level is practically zero at the end of the day...when I should be exercising. I feel now that I am at a point of no return. I MUST lose weight. I went to the doctor a couple months ago to find out that I have hypertension, hypothyroidism, and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The last two things make it nearly impossible to lose weight. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas/suggestions for exercise and diet for me to help me lose weight. Im more into cardio classes...like kickboxing...and weight lifting. I dont like just walking on the treadmill. I have also had a lot of luck on the Atkin's Diet as far as weight loss is concerned. However, I just can't stay on it for long periods of time because it makes me feel really lethargic. Any help anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!
Afrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Afrohead, and

We have a "PCOS" area in the "Dieting with Obstacles" forum - there are many folks on here with PCOS, so you can get some great advice.

If you had good luck on a lower-carb approach, maybe something like South Beach would work well for you? It includes some low-glycemic carbs (more than Atkins), which might help with the lethargy.

Anyway, can't wait to get to know you better - keep posting!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #3  
I'm committed.

S/C/G: 177/177/115

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi Afrohead,

I also have PCOS and it sure is frustrating. I second mandalinn's suggestion of visiting the PCOS forum.

Do you have access to a school gym and classes? Since classes are what you like--go with that. Try community recreation centers for low cost classes, if you don't have them through your school. This time of year some of the commercial fitness centers offer good deals--maybe you can find one close to you. The best exercise is always the one you do, and do consistently. We can lose with PCOS, just takes a bit more effort. And speaking from personal experience, consistency is the main ingredient.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing you on the boards.
offthecouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #4  

Yeah, I think I will try the South Beach diet and see how my body reacts to that. And yes...we have a gym on campus but it's just finding the time to go. I have clinicals from 6-4 and by the time I get out, I am completely exhausted. I just have to force myself to do it. Thanks for you guy's help!
Afrohead is offline   Reply With Quote