Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/135/117

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm new, lookin' for a buddy, etc. too!

I have read some of the new posts. And I can definitely relate to just about everything. As a kid, I had a really high metabolism and could eat anything. With my first child, at 21, I nursed him and continued to eat the same way I did when I was pregnant. When I stopped nursing, I still ate that same way. With my second child, I did the same thing. Throughout my 30's, I continued to eat the same way. By the time I was 40, my metabolism slowed down considerably. And now, 8 years later, I have a lovely 'muffintop' going on. All my weight is in my middle. I'm worried about wheremy weight is because I know it's an apple. My grandmother had a heart attack early and my mother had heart problems as well. They both were overweight and carried it around their middle. I know the dangers. So, mostly I want to be healthy.
My ex-husband used to tell me I was fat, so it didn't surprise me that he found someone else. I know I bought into the lies he told me, of never being good enough - to which I have turned to food. We've been divorced a year now and every time I have to contact him, I wind up stuffing my face with whatever I can find. I love carbs, so it's usually that. And then I feel really bad for eating the whole bag of potato chips, loaf of french bread, cheese, whatever is there to eat. My sons are grown and I live alone, so I don't usually have a lot of food on hand unless it's something that won't spoil quickly.
I just want to be able to lift my grandchildren without feeling pain the next day. I want to be around when my granddaughter gets married. So, my main goal is to HEALTHY.
I hope this is enough. Thanks for listening.
[url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/]

Last edited by Muffintop; 02-12-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: weight tracker url not working
Muffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #2  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

S/C/G: 211/204/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Welcome, Muffintop!

Welcome!

I'm a newbie to 3FC myself, but still happy to welcome you. This forum seems supportive and kind, good people.... a few lurkers, but no biggie.

I admit, I've never heard the term muffintop before, but after reading your post, I recognized it as that thing I see when I am wearing stretchie pants, and my shirt rides up too high. Very, very scary.

I am a carb addict myself; and yes, I've done the Atkins thing. Been there, done that, brought back the t shirt with the extra weight under it. My biggest weakness is bread and butter at a restaurant. I am ashamed to say that I can eat an entire loaf myself, which, of course is easy to deny when you have a large family like I do. I also have a serious weakness for the carrot raisin bread at Mimi's Cafe (I don't know if you have one near you). I go absolutely crazy for it.

Anyway, enough about me and my bread. I just wanted to welcome you, and let you know that if you ever need any extra encouragement, I'm glad to help.

Gingercakes
Gingercakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #3  

Smile Apple chicks

Hey, Muffintop! I am an apple, too. I am now in my early 50s, and it's bigger than ever. Things begin to settle in the middle...my 82 y/o mom had her first heart attack one year ago, and of course, she's also an apple. My sister is also an apple. Sigh. Apple pie, anyone? LOL.

I am here to support you, too. We've got to trim off some of this fat so that we don't have heart attacks, either. What sort of plan are you doing? I am exercising every day and trying to keep the calories down around 1400.

Good luck!
1happyfb
1happyfantasticbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #4  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Ah! That's such a good reason to get in shape/get healthy. For your granddaughter!

I'm a bit of an apple too, with all my weight hanging out on my tummy. And I haven't even had any kids! LOL. Oh well. I'm just gonna have to do some crunches.

It's nice to have met you, and I hope you can reach your goal.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 194/164/140

Default I'm new too...just signed up tonight

I'm brand new to 3FC and am hoping that I can find some support. I started my "live it" just over a year ago and was able to lose 30 pounds before my son got married last September. Here it is, nearing mid-February and I'm still right where I was in September. I would love to lose another 25 to 30 before my other son gets married in August, but I'm having a heck of a time with it. It's like my body has decided it likes me right where I am.
Anybody have any suggestions on getting me jump started again without starvation or over exercise? I really try to watch the fat and calories; I drink plenty of water and I usually try to walk several times a week, though it's been a little tough to do lately.
I'm really stumped and would love a buddy or two to help me out.
Momma Jayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome to all the new folks!
You've come to the right place for inspiration, tips and help. Tell us a little more about what you like to eat and do for exercise and we'll help you find some threads where you'll feel right at home.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/160

Height: 5ft 6 inc

Hi I'm a muffin top too, I never heard that saying before.
2007 is the year to get healthy!!!!!
Time to get thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #8  

I don't have a Mimi's where I live. But, I do love carrot cake! So, if the bread is like that, I would probably like it as well. Carrots, raisins; it sounds healthy.
Anyway, these are my goals for now. Let me know if you think I should change something. Thanks for the support.
1) Eat breakfast every morning. I like Uncle Sam's cereal with Soy milk.
2) Make myself lunch for school. Salad with a vinaigrette and nuts.
3) Take a healthy snack with me wherever I go so that I don't get the munchies and eat empty calories.
4) Walk 2 miles 3X a week. Add weights the 2nd week. (I don't run either)
5) Drink lots of water.
6) Drink tea and avoid the Starbuck's! - this one is the hardest because I teach at 8am and I walk by the Starbuck's on the way to class and I am allergic to early mornings.
So, if I can keep that up for the first week, I will feel like I accomplished something.
Btw, Happy Valentine's Day!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #9  

Hey Cats Tongue, I love your quote. That is so my ex-husband!! (Should have read that years ago!) LOL
I also appreciate that you have listed your measurements rather than your weight. That's very wise. I will have to do that as well.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ummm, Mimi's! Have you ever had their stuffed French Toast? Oh, just heavenly. I don't even want to think about the calories in that!

Muffintop, with a plan like that, you're sure to succeed! Good luck!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #11  

What do I like to eat? Everything!
But, I know I shouldn't. I am looking at the '8 minutes in the morning' diet. Because I like the way he looks at fat. Food should be sustenance and not another way to stuff your feelings. My daughter-in-law was telling me how people lose weight after their divorce. Not me. I gained. And then I also have the added stress of starting grad school. I got my BS in 1991, so classes like statistics are a bit hard to master.
I listed my goals in my answer to Gingercakes.
What I like to do to exercise is go on long walks. I used to like to bike ride, so I thought I would join a bike club here in town when the weather is nicer. (We just got another 4 inches.) I park my car in the parking garage and walk to my building. I need to get a pedometer so I know exactly how far that is. I usually park and then walk to all my classes.
I could go over to the rec center and walk the track or swim. I just need the motivation to do it.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #12  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

S/C/G: 211/204/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffintop View Post
I don't have a Mimi's where I live. But, I do love carrot cake! So, if the bread is like that, I would probably like it as well. Carrots, raisins; it sounds healthy.
Anyway, these are my goals for now. Let me know if you think I should change something. Thanks for the support.
1) Eat breakfast every morning. I like Uncle Sam's cereal with Soy milk.
2) Make myself lunch for school. Salad with a vinaigrette and nuts.
3) Take a healthy snack with me wherever I go so that I don't get the munchies and eat empty calories.
4) Walk 2 miles 3X a week. Add weights the 2nd week. (I don't run either)
5) Drink lots of water.
6) Drink tea and avoid the Starbuck's! - this one is the hardest because I teach at 8am and I walk by the Starbuck's on the way to class and I am allergic to early mornings.
So, if I can keep that up for the first week, I will feel like I accomplished something.
Btw, Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day to you too! My little one is turning six on Valentine's Day, and I have two other kids in school with V-day parties, so unfortunately for me, Valentine's Day is one giant candy fest. I'm doing so well on my diet.... I will have to continue. But if hubby brings me the big thing of See's candies which I adore... I may have to either find a real good way to ration myself, or start sharing!

It's good that you're trying to drink water. I don't know how much you usually drink, but I'm one of those people who drinks very little, which is not good, so we need to definitely increase the H2O.

Anyway, your goals sound great. Keep up the good work, and if you can't run, walk, walk, walk. Ellipticals are nice too, low impact and not too hard on the body.

Gingercakes

Be careful with the salad dressings! Many times I've been fooled by them, until I read the label and fainted at the calories or sugar! I enjoy the lean cuisines a lot, and they are pretty good in terms of calorie content. Just the oil in a dressing could put you over more than a lean cuisine would! These meals are great if you teach and have a tiny fridge in your room.
Gingercakes is offline   Reply With Quote