Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #46  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type1lady View Post
Tuesday WI .6 down and BF back up 3%!. Can TOM affect the BF reading? It was down 3% last week with no scale loss and up with a slight scale loss...I just came off my TOM...
Based upon what my coach told me, early on there can be wild fluctuations in BF% because the device they use cannot distinguish between water and fat. He told me we would get more accurate readings starting at about the 3 month mark. So, if due to TOM is causing water retention then yes.

Was your muscle mass tested? My clinic didn't do it but some do.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 208.5/193.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Based upon what my coach told me, early on there can be wild fluctuations in BF% because the device they use cannot distinguish between water and fat. He told me we would get more accurate readings starting at about the 3 month mark. So, if due to TOM is causing water retention then yes.

I just finished my 16th week and have def seen fluctuations but not usually so high. ( looks like you and I started IP in the same month )Last week we thought my body was finally "getting" it no they don't do muscle mass testing either. I stand on a scale that measures body fat, hydration, and visceral fat. Not sure how totally accurate it is but I assume since I use the same one that it is a least consistent.

Last edited by Type1lady; 04-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #48  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Tuesday WI .6 down and BF back up 3%!. Can TOM affect the BF reading? It was down 3% last week with no scale loss and up with a slight scale loss...I just came off my TOM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post

Quote:
I just finished my 16th week and have def seen fluctuations but not usually so high. ( looks like you and I started IP in the same month )Last week we thought my body was finally "getting" it no they don't do muscle mass testing either. I stand on a scale that measures body fat, hydration, and visceral fat. Not sure how totally accurate it is but I assume since I use the same one that it is a least consistent.
Home scales and the Tanita/Intouch/Body230 scales all use bio-electrical impedence. The results are often skewed as a result of the density of different compositions of body makeup. The larger your mass, the more likelihood that those densities are within a similar range and thus will respond similarly to the electrical signal.

As you lose weight you will almost certainly gain water weight - because the leaner you are the more water your body needs (lean mass uses more water than fat mass) so the density levels change and are therefore more easily read.

Somewhere in your journey you may want to stump up for a bod pod test (which measures by air displacement) that is considered the best non-research BCA test and see the difference. I weigh every morning on a home scale that records weight, BF%, Water% and BMI. I infrequently have an Intouch BCA at the gym and I go once a month for the Bod Pod reading. When I get back from shopping I will post you the difference in readings from my last session (I actually did all three scales on the same day to see the variance and difference).

It doesn't help that calibration plays a huge role in the accuracy rate of clinic scales. Ask them how often they are calibrated, try to find out the day it's going to be done and try and get yourself in for a WI on that day, as scales do move further away from accuracy the further they get from calibration day.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

Height: 5'5.5"

Speaking of scales -- does anyone have problems with their Aria scale not registering BF%?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #50  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabmva View Post
Speaking of scales -- does anyone have problems with their Aria scale not registering BF%?
I have discovered that if I step on the Aria scale wearing socks or stockings, there is no body fat reading.... I should have known that, but I had to discover it by stepping on the scale after putting on my pantyhose

Last edited by oneuh2; 04-29-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #51  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
For me that's the whole thing about IP - it's a journey of small changes. We start out using only the IP packets and very basic protein and vegetables. Then we make a small change to using veggies that are new to us. Then we start looking at how we can make our meals more interesting but still IP compliant. Then we figure out how to play the macro game. Then we are learning to introduce variety to the food so we don't get bored or resentful. And finally we are starting to phase out and making small changes to the diet again.

One small change every now and then equals a massive lifestyle change at the end.
I think it was Ruth Ann or Catlady who posted this quote that I love:

"success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."
Old 04-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #52  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
The directions for my Aria say to dampen the bottom of your feet before stepping on for this purpose.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #53  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Can someone please tell me how much B12 is included in one of IP multi-vitamins?
My doctor is trying to figure out how my B12 is low when I was taking multi-vitamins every day on this diet. I don't have the bottles anymore so I don't know. I am currently taking one that has 30 mcg so I am getting 60 mcg per day and I want to compare that to IP's multi-vitamin.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 208.5/193.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
I have discovered that if I step on the Aria scale wearing socks or stockings, there is no body fat reading.... I should have known that, but I had to discover it by stepping on the scale after putting on my pantyhose
That made me laugh out loud!!!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 AM   #55  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

I lost 2.2pounds at my weigh in this morning! I am so happy, been smiling all day long!

Last night I had gotten an inspiration to combine Lisa's zucchini muffin recipe with Rainbows brownie bites that use chayote ..... lol They came out way to wet! They are sitting on a cookie rack right now trying to dry them out a little bit. but mmm yummy chocolate flavor. I will have to re visit them later and try to figure out a way to have them not be so 'moist'!

I hope everyone has a great Thursday!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

Height: 5'5.5"

Thank you Ro and Oneuh --
I was barefoot but not 'damp footed, I'll try that.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 187/182/130

Height: 5'4''

Hello ladies (and men). My name is Linda and I'm from Ontario. I have been reading these threads since October and they have motivated me so much. I have lost over 100 pounds (started at 251) in the past ten years (kept it off) but then I just couldn't get things to keep moving...until...I found this thread and started IP. I have lost 10 pounds and feel GREAT!
I have finally decided to start posting after 'spying' on you all since October.
I have been having fun with all the recipes...ok...sometimes not so much...I'm not the greatest cook..lol Looking forwar to this journey with you.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #58  
IP Start 6/17/14

S/C/G: 216/160.8/160.0

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Check the settings....maybe not set to record bobby fat%.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Everyone....

Going to dinner tonight with some friends...Morrocan food and belly dancing (not me of course), any suggestions on what to order? I have checked out the menu online and am planning one of the grilled meats, but open to suggestions. That is one thing I am so sick of after all these months of going out to eat and only ordering steak and broccoli! Makes for a cranky girl LOL.... Of course I toss in the occasional Salmon. I go out to eat a lot so suggestions on what others do would be great. I worry over the slightest sauce I may encounter.. My coach said I need to stop stressing! One night of chicken and broccoli from the chinese place will not put 80Lbs back on, LOL Yet I cannot seem to order it! Have not had chinese food since I started and I am so craving it!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #60  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
Have not had chinese food since I started and I am so craving it!
I don't crave Chinese food because I make it for myself all the time!

Easy stir fry sauce- Soy sauce, garlic, ginger, WF peanut spread, apple cider vinegar

Even easier - Mix soy sauce and a ton of ginger, and bake a chicken breast in it. Reserve some of the sauce to baste the chicken throughout. Presto! Garlic soy chicken!

Most delicious - Bulgogi
I add less sesame oil and sesame seeds than called for, splenda instead of sugar, and add red pepper flakes for kick. After the meat has cooked, I add cooked broccoli for the last minute. Super delicious!
Closed Thread