Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #1  

Default Tips for optimum losses?

Hi All,

Happy Monday!

I started the Ideal Protein diet 14 weeks ago and have lost 58lbs, which I am very happy with!

The last couple of weeks I have noticed it slowing down a little. What did you do to speed it back up again? I would love to know how to achieve the fastest losses possible as I want to shed quite a bit more before a big trip in September.

Did you cut out your restricted item? Have lower carb veggies? Cut out Ice Chips and Gum? Any tips you can share would be much appreciated.

I am not complaining - I understand that what I have lost has been SUPER fast but feel like I can do even better to speed this up a touch.
CloverDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 232.8/See Ticker/175

Looks like you have been doing very well! Congratulations.
My IP Coach does not allow gum, but I would assume that cutting out the Restricted items and maybe just staying with unrestricted may help you to loose some faster! Keep up the great work!!!
asmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #3  
knm

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'1

Cloverdog - congrats on your progress! You're killing it!
Everyone seems to react to tweaks differently, but I've heard of some people cutting out the restricted items just for a week, then going back to have them again. Once you go back to eating the restricteds it sort of "tricks" your body into thinking you're feeding it more so it can burn more, as opposed to holding on to everything when you've limited yourself for some long. I'm not a coach, so maybe confirm with your coach first, or maybe someone who is more experienced might have an opinion on this, but it's just a suggestion I've heard in the past.
Also, if you're willing to track and weigh your food, try using myfitness pal. From my understanding, you should try and keep your net carbs between 40g and 45g. I'm fairly short and seem to be pretty carb sensitive so I try and keep my net carbs between 32g and 37g most days.
Also, cut out any extras you're allowing yourself - gum, water flavoring, be careful not to eat too much Walden Farms dressings or sauces. Be sure to carefully measure your salt and oil for the day.
Just some thoughts and ideas.
knm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #4  

Excellent responses, thanks both of you so much for the advice and the words of encouragement!!

I will ask my coach on Saturday when I weigh in again but my thinking is to take out the restricted (or limit it to a couple of times a week instead of every single day) and cut out the gum and ice chips. I don't have water flavoring at all and eat the WF products but not much of those either.

Great points about the net carb counts too. Thanks again, these are all excellent tips and I will see how this week looks with those few little tweaks!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #5  

There are natural ebbs and flows to weight loss. It is totally normal.

My suggestion is to not try to hack the plan. It works as it is written.
There are many reasons for the slowdown. Here are a few.
  1. You have less weight to lose so it'll come off slower
  2. Your metabolism is used to the plan and has become more efficient
  3. Your metabolism has slowed some, to adjust to the lower calorie intake
I notice you didn't say you've stalled, only that there has been a bit of a slowdown. A stall would be 4-6 weeks with zero losses on the scale or measuring tape. If one got to 6 weeks of zeros, it might be time to look at what changes could be done (including phasing off to give the metabolism a break from p1). However, the folks I have seen with the most success are the ones who stick with it through the highs and the lows.

Instead of finding things to tweak, perhaps find some new recipes to change things up. If you're in a rut with some veggies (I am with slaw!), perhaps use the next couple of weeks to try some new veggie recipes. Switch out meats you've been eating and try something else. Experiment with variety.

Net carbs affect ketosis but mostly it is the cals that are effecting weight loss (ketosis sure helps with the hunger tho, doesn't it).

What are you doing for exercise? Maybe it's time to change or add something there. If you're walking, maybe add yoga. Just looks for ways to change things while sticking with the plan.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-21-2015 at 02:57 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #6  
Just Do It, Mom!

S/C/G: Restart 2/19/15. See Ticker

Height: 5.5

First, you MUST know how awesome you are doing, right??

I have found the biggest difference can be seen by upping your water intake. I've started making sure to get 80-96 oz per day - most often 96 - and it has made a difference. Also, monitor yourself for constipation - it's surprising the difference that can make. I need to take a stool softener every other day, and very occasionally a glycerin suppository, but that is only when many days have passed without a bowel movement. This is better for you than relying on harsher laxatives.
3sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #7  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
There are natural ebbs and flows to weight loss. It is totally normal.

My suggestion is to not try to hack the plan. It works as it is written.
There are many reasons for the slowdown. Here are a few.
  1. You have less weight to lose so it'll come off slower
  2. Your metabolism is used to the plan and has become more efficient
  3. Your metabolism has slowed some, to adjust to the lower calorie intake
I notice you didn't say you've stalled, only that there has been a bit of a slowdown. A stall would be 4-6 weeks with zero losses on the scale or measuring tape. If one got to 6 weeks of zeros, it might be time to look at what changes could be done (including phasing off to give the metabolism a break from p1). However, the folks I have seen with the most success are the ones who stick with it through the highs and the lows.

Instead of finding things to tweak, perhaps find some new recipes to change things up. If you're in a rut with some veggies (I am with slaw!), perhaps use the next couple of weeks to try some new veggie recipes. Switch out meats you've been eating and try something else. Experiment with variety.

Net carbs affect ketosis but mostly it is the cals that are effecting weight loss (ketosis sure helps with the hunger tho, doesn't it).

What are you doing for exercise? Maybe it's time to change or add something there. If you're walking, maybe add yoga. Just looks for ways to change things while sticking with the plan.
^^^^ This right here is the best advice you'll get. You can't game the system or you risk one of four things happening 1. you kill your metabolism and that eventually stops you losing anything at all 2. your hormones begin to react and you end up with thyroid issues 3. your body begins to recognise that it is constantly receiving fewer calories than your basal metabolic rate (which is the minimum caloric intake you need to cover simply existing, ie while asleep and not doing anything at all) and goes into starvation mode and 4. you run the risk of screwing the macros that IP have carefully produced to ensure that you primarily lose fat store and not lean tissue like muscle. Nobody wants to end up weaker than they started.

As Lisa says .. a slow down is normal. Just look at the people who post their weekly loss amounts and see how natural it is for that number to drop after the first 3-4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sisters View Post
First, you MUST know how awesome you are doing, right??

I have found the biggest difference can be seen by upping your water intake. I've started making sure to get 80-96 oz per day - most often 96 - and it has made a difference. Also, monitor yourself for constipation - it's surprising the difference that can make. I need to take a stool softener every other day, and very occasionally a glycerin suppository, but that is only when many days have passed without a bowel movement. This is better for you than relying on harsher laxatives.
If you are constantly taking laxatives you need to review the types of veggies and minerals that you are taking in as part of the diet. More greens! Are you taking a probiotic or digestive enzyme to help with breaking down the food and repopulating your good gut bacteria? These things are optional on the IP program but they can make such a huge difference to toilet habits.

If you really need to take a laxative try a magnesium powder rather than a chemical one. Magnesium is one of the electrolytes that your body needs and is extremely effective. I only have to take half a teaspoon in a quarter cup of water for a nice turnout and I have lived with constipation since childhood.

Last edited by Briael; 04-20-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #8  
Just Do It, Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
If you are constantly taking laxatives you need to review the types of veggies and minerals that you are taking in as part of the diet. More greens! Are you taking a probiotic or digestive enzyme to help with breaking down the food and repopulating your good gut bacteria? These things are optional on the IP program but they can make such a huge difference to toilet habits.

If you really need to take a laxative try a magnesium powder rather than a chemical one. Magnesium is one of the electrolytes that your body needs and is extremely effective. I only have to take half a teaspoon in a quarter cup of water for a nice turnout and I have lived with constipation since childhood.
No, maybe I didn't express this correctly, because I agree with you - NO laxatives - I only use a mild stool softener that contains no stimulant. But having said that, you bring up a good point about Magnesium and I think I will try using this instead. I know we used to use a liquid Magnesium Citrate as a bowel prep for bowel xrays. I do eat lots of greens, but will try getting more in. I just know that in answer to CloverDog's original question - taking in more water and keeping an eye out for constipation are 2 things that I have found make a difference. I'd also add be sure to eat enough - cutting back from what protocol calls for, thinking this will help you lose faster, usually has the opposite effect.

Last edited by 3sisters; 04-20-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #9  
Just Do It, Mom!

Briael, what probiotics and digestive enzymes do you take? A specific brand?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #10  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sisters View Post
Briael, what probiotics and digestive enzymes do you take? A specific brand?
Garden of Life Omegazymes Digestive Enzymes (1 per meal)

Garden of Life Primal Defense (1 per day)

I buy at VitaminShoppe with a member card so it brings the price down.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #11  

Excellent advice, thanks so much everyone. I'm so used to 3 or 4 or 5 pound losses per week that under 2 makes me nervous. That's crazy, I know. I've been losing like a dude on this thing and am over half way to goal.
I'm gonna switch up my veggies and continue doing exactly what I'm doing.
Thanks again to all of you. I'll just stick exactly to plan like I have done since day one and let my body do what it will do. I'm so spoiled with the big losses. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW I'm super lucky to have those to begin with!

Thanks again 😊😊😊😊