Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #1  

Default question about phase 4

I am still in phase 1. I am averaging about 700-900 calories a day. Feeling good. My only thing is that I am wondering when we get to phase 4 I know it won't be that low in calories. But with the increase of calories, won't our bodies freak out the increased amount of calories (fat and carbs)? It's just something I wonder about.

Also.... My coach wont tell me about phase 4 at all but I really am wondering just because I'm curious.. I think I have heard other phase 4 people talk about cheat days? Is that right?

I know I shouldn't even be thinking about phase 4 yet, but I am curious. Thanks for your input!
Mariposah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #2  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

I'm nowhere near phase 4, but I've looked into this just a bit. Someone might give a better explanation, but how I understand it, in a nutshell, is as follows:

Your pancreas produces insulin, which is released in response to your blood sugar. Your blood sugar rises as you eat saturated fats and sugars. The more often you eat these things, the more insulin your pancreas releases, until it begins overproducing insulin, which causes cravings and weight gain.

Phase 1, while limiting sugar, carbs and fats, is resetting your pancreas and teaching it not to overproduce insulin. It also teaches you proper eating habits and portion sizes so that you won't fall into your old habits. Once you've lost the weight through Phase 1, Phases 2 and 3 start up your pancreas again and teach it to produce the proper amount of insulin in response to the sugar, fat and carbs you are meant to eat.

You're eating 700-900 calories to lose weight rapidly. That's not a healthy range for someone maintaining their weight, which is what Phase 4 is all about. Yes, you'll be eating more calories, but you'll have been training your body how to handle normal eating.

Cheating is about what you are trying to get away with. Phase 4 is about eating normally and making conscious decisions. In this way, I don't consider it cheating. You can eat something unhealthy, as long as it's not a frequent occurrence, and you temper it with good decisions.

People may be talking about cheat days because some IPers have adjusted their maintenance style to fit in their lifestyle. It is common for some to eat on Phase 2 during the week, but give themselves free range during the weekends. Some people prefer to eat as Phase 4 suggests, but then revert to Phase 1 for a week if they overindulge for a day or two. Phase 4 gives you good suggestions on how to be successful in your maintenance, but it's not something you follow to a T like the other phases. It's about making it work for you, while maintaining your good eating habits and making conscious decisions.

Don't stress about Phase 4 yet! You're doing great, and you'll get there! And when you do, all your current hard work will mean that your body will be able to handle a normal amount of carbs, sugars and fats.
ImASharkIPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #3  

I echo everything that "Imashark" wrote above. I would also suggest that you read a couple of the Maintainer/P4 threads – I think they might give you some peace and also strength going forward –two current and really great ones on the first page of the IP threads are Maintainers Vol. 18 and "Maintainers P4 What are you eating today".

It may help you to see the types of things they are discussing, the types of things they are eating, their successes and challenges. Many of them have been successfully maintaining for a long time. Part of the reason I decided to do the IP program was largely a result of the health and well-being that I felt in the people on those threads.

I had many of the same fears you describe, and if it helps you to know, I have gone through P2 and P3, and I have been maintaining in P4 for a few weeks now, and none of the things that you have anxiety about have happened to me.

Also if you search for.pdf documents exactly outlining P3 & P4 on this site you can find them – and that might ease your mind also. I know for me when I have concern, having concrete facts and information helps.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 03-28-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote