Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #376  

Default Clarification needed on IP alternatives

I found the following post by user ChimpChamp:
EAS AdvantEDGE ready to drink "shakes" in vanilla, chocolate fudge, double chocolate, strawberry, and mocha caramel cost about $5 for a 4-pack of tetra-paks. Available at WalMart and almost every grocery store. I'd give the flavor 3 stars although I really do not like the mocha caramel at all.

Premier Nutrition ready to drink "shakes" in chocolate only cost about $24 for an 18-pack of tetra-paks. There is a coupon valid through June 5th or 6th in the Costco Coupon Book. Crazy, but my husband and I bought 20 of the 18-packs b/c at about $1 a "shake," this was an incredible deal. 180 calories and 30 grams of protein so no more than 1 per day. 4 stars for flavor.

Cytosport's Muscle Milk Protein + in vanilla or chocolate powder. Do not confuse this with regular or lite Muscle Milk. This is Protein +, available at Costco for about $28 / 40 servings. About 130 calories, 3 carbs, and some sodium and potassium. 4 stars for flavor.

Pure Protein Tri-Phase Infusion I drink this before bed b/c of its sustained release of protein lasting up to 7 hours.

I drink a drink for breakfast as soon as I wake up and while I'm having my coffee b/c I'm hungry and so I can keep the ketosis going.

4 egg whites and 1 egg yolk in lieu of the IP omelet pack

3 oz tuna or salmon in lieu of any IP pack; doesn't seem like much b/c it's not so I usually allow myself 4 oz.

Believe it or not, I may allow myself 15-20 almonds per day or about 5 kalamata olives just to keep myself on track. I'd rather have these "real food" sources than a protein bar that has lots of sugar alcohols, etc.

All IP packets have some carbs in them, usually around 10 grams. Where Chimpchamp uses 3 oz tuna/salmon in lieu of any IP pack, shouldn't there be some carbs? If yes, then what would you use? If I substituted protein powder, would I choose soy/whey, etc to make a shake? How about using berries as the carb(10 grams worth), or would you use oatmeal or ???? Would you add any fiber to the protein shake?

I really want to do this on my own, as the IP packets often give me a tummy ache, and a headache because of the expense. But I love the protocol in terms of results, both in terms of weight loss and improvement in health, energy and even my skin looks better. Thanks for any help. If I posted incorrectly, please excuse and correct me, I am new to this forum and to posting on it. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #377  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheana2002 View Post

Believe it or not, I may allow myself 15-20 almonds per day or about 5 kalamata olives just to keep myself on track. I'd rather have these "real food" sources than a protein bar that has lots of sugar alcohols, etc.

All IP packets have some carbs in them, usually around 10 grams. Where Chimpchamp uses 3 oz tuna/salmon in lieu of any IP pack, shouldn't there be some carbs? If yes, then what would you use? If I substituted protein powder, would I choose soy/whey, etc to make a shake? How about using berries as the carb(10 grams worth), or would you use oatmeal or ???? Would you add any fiber to the protein shake?

I really want to do this on my own, as the IP packets often give me a tummy ache, and a headache because of the expense. But I love the protocol in terms of results, both in terms of weight loss and improvement in health, energy and even my skin looks better. Thanks for any help. If I posted incorrectly, please excuse and correct me, I am new to this forum and to posting on it. Thanks again.
(can't tell where the person you quoted ends and where your post begins....)

IP is designed to be used with processed high-protein "meal replacements," for lack of a better word (if you can find the original document describing the philosophy of the plan, the originator goes into details about this, I only vaguely remember the gist of it). I think that most people here will tell you to "stick to the sheet" in terms of exactly what is on protocol. But you are right, there a lot of inconsistencies of ingredients in the processed packets - sugar, oats, potato flour, etc. (they are in small amounts of course to keep the carb count low.)

There is no reason why you can't use the principles of the diet but with your own products/real foods. But the further you get away from the protocol-- adding berries or nuts or oatmeal or whatever else the IP sheet doesn't allow -- the less it is really *IP*, which could be fine for your own weight loss but it's not going to mesh well with what others are posting here. You might want to look into the "other low carb diets" forum.

That being said - I tend to do things a little differently anyway since I am using alternative products PLUS I am mostly vegetarian, which even completely on plan, veggie products tend to have lower protein and more carbs. If you are going to go the route of adding non-IP foods but want to stick to the general idea of IP, I would look at overall daily macros - for myself, when I am adding some veggie products that don't give the right breakdown for each individual meal, I keep an eye on the whole day: I keep my calories at less than 1000 (usually 800-900), protein averages around 90-100 (which is about 1g/pound of lean mass for me) and keep net carbs below ~40g, usually more like 30g. I don't worry about fat since I don't really eat any high-fat things currently and I use olive or coconut oil every day (less than one Tablespoon).

There are so, so many protein powders and ready-to-drink shakes that work as IP substitutes! Just make sure they meet the guidelines for an alternative product; the link is on the first page of the general chat thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcamcait3 View Post
Due to the high cost of IP...I have switched to Protidiet. Has anyone had success with it? I've read there are others as well. Taste is about the same as the IP products some a little better.

Does anyone have other suggestions on products? I have a hunch they are all the same just repackaged.

Rose
This whole thread (and it is the 6th one) is about suggestions for alternative products. I tried many of the suggestions that people said they liked, but everyone has different tastes. I have also recommended that people order as many sample packs as possible (somewhere in this thread within the last few months I linked to all the sample packs I found on Nashua Nutrition's site)

There are lots of other products that are similar to IP... I use ProtiDiet, Proti-Thin, Weight Loss Systems (aka WonderSlim), but most of my favorite products end up being from HealthSmart, which is Nashua Nutrition's own brand. Some of my go-to staples include: HealthSmart pancakes and oatmeal and ProtiDiet chili. I also routinely use Quest bars, Quest chips, Syntrax nectar protein powders and EAS Carb-Control ready-to-drink protein shakes.

You are right, many of the alternative packets are just repackaged! Here is my cut and past list of products that are apparently identical to IP, according to others on this site:

Quote:
Proi-thin products: Sea salt & vinegar soy snacks, chocolate soy puffs, chocolate peanut bar, caramel nut bar, vanilla peanut bar, anytime drink, wafers
Proti-diet: White cheddar snacks, pink lemonade
New Lifestyle: Chocolate and vanilla RTD
Dr Bernsteins: Chocolate and vanilla RTD (Canada only?)
Premier Nutrition: Chocolate and Vanilla RTD (bigger serving size, so be careful. Avalable @ Costco)
Have fun trying things!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #378  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheana2002 View Post
I found the following post by user ChimpChamp:
EAS AdvantEDGE ready to drink "shakes" in vanilla, chocolate fudge, double chocolate, strawberry, and mocha caramel cost about $5 for a 4-pack of tetra-paks. Available at WalMart and almost every grocery store. I'd give the flavor 3 stars although I really do not like the mocha caramel at all.

Premier Nutrition ready to drink "shakes" in chocolate only cost about $24 for an 18-pack of tetra-paks. There is a coupon valid through June 5th or 6th in the Costco Coupon Book. Crazy, but my husband and I bought 20 of the 18-packs b/c at about $1 a "shake," this was an incredible deal. 180 calories and 30 grams of protein so no more than 1 per day. 4 stars for flavor.

This is not IP b/c it contains more than 23g protein - that said, b/c of a soy allergy, I have used them since the get-go and it hasn't slowed my progress - and my macros show daily protein about 120g (which is fine for me)

Cytosport's Muscle Milk Protein + in vanilla or chocolate powder. Do not confuse this with regular or lite Muscle Milk. This is Protein +, available at Costco for about $28 / 40 servings. About 130 calories, 3 carbs, and some sodium and potassium. 4 stars for flavor.

Pure Protein Tri-Phase Infusion I drink this before bed b/c of its sustained release of protein lasting up to 7 hours.

I drink a drink for breakfast as soon as I wake up and while I'm having my coffee b/c I'm hungry and so I can keep the ketosis going.

??? not sure about this statement - basic science 101: if you are keeping 20 - 50g net carbs a day, you are in ketosis

4 egg whites and 1 egg yolk in lieu of the IP omelet pack

3 egg whites, 1 yolk

3 oz tuna or salmon in lieu of any IP pack; doesn't seem like much b/c it's not so I usually allow myself 4 oz.

I have generally been doing 4oz real protein (shellfish, fish, chicken, etc…) for lunch (with 2C veggies) / 6 - 8 oz for dinner (+2C veggies) since the beginning - again, this has been successful for me

I had this mind set going in…but if you are drinking the RTD's, then it doesn't make a lot of sense - the RTD's are packed w/ s/a's - Nashau's sells a brand, "Kay's Natural" - still some s/a's but 'natural'.. some products are not IP friendly so be careful

Have you looked at the protocol sheet? Most of this is covered there - but no berries / regular oatmeal - and lots of folks blend spinach into their RTD's

My $0.02 are above in bold - I am 100% alt-products b/c of a soy issue - 1st thing is rereading the protocol sheet though. Then you have to make decisions that are right for you / your body. It takes some experimenting and a lot of education & there is a wealth of information available here

Last edited by hysteria_625; 08-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #379  

Thank you so much for your speedy reply! I appreciate your suggestions and will evaluate each one. I was thinking that it would be possible to make from scratch, using a blend of soy/whey protein powder and some low glycemic carbs(such as uncooked oatmeal) a homemade, perhaps less "chemical" version of IP packets, particularly the shakes. Greens Superfood by Naturo Sciences is a bestseller and has a boatload of antioxidants as well as probiotics, some carb and zero sugar. This could be mixed with the protein powder of choice. Soups could be a possibility as well, stirring in the powder blend at the end(must be taste tested, of course). I know soy is stressed on the IP protocol, and I looked into the soy/almond flours, but the fat to protein ratio is too high. It's easy enough to figure out the protein - it's the carb source that is the challenge. But something is providing it, and it's probably low glycemic, given that we have to attain ketosis. Just thinking......
Old 08-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #380  

I think I see where you are going with this and don't have a ton of great suggestions.
Your primary carb source is veggies - there are Quest bars after you subtract the fiber and s/a's that net out to 3g
IP isn't designed or meant to be done for life...and For the limited time I am on IP I made the conscience decision to ignore the "chemicals" - the weight I was carrying was far more detrimental to my health than sugar alcohols or hydrolyzed gelatin (in the Proti-diet grape concentrated drink) - and my $0.02 - I think you're going to spend more $ trying to replicate the products that it would be worth
ETA - as I noted though, I have 4oz real protein for lunch, and 4 days out of 7, eat eggs for breakfast- so truthfully my "exposure" has been limited.
Also have you looked at or talked with your coach about the diabetic / alt P1 protocol? That does allow some limited fruits and carbs

Last edited by hysteria_625; 08-16-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #381  

Height: 5'5"

I have been eating Quest bars on and off for quite some time and LOVE them! But I have noticed something, after I have had one the next day my joints are very sore??? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #382  

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothgirl View Post
I have been eating Quest bars on and off for quite some time and LOVE them! But I have noticed something, after I have had one the next day my joints are very sore??? Has anyone else experienced this?
Just FYI - soy inflames all my joints, but I am fine with the Quest bars.

Listen to your body though - definitely sounds like a sensitivity to something in Quest products.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #383  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks hysteria 625, you are probably right about the soy, although with other soy products I have not noticed it. I eat the Soy nuts I get from Nashua Nutrition sometimes with no problems.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #384  

Quest Bars have erythritol, a sugar alcohol. I have problems with them, and they do elicit a carb response/raise insulin. Soy, I agree, is a problem for some, although IP products emphasize soy. Atkins bars are loaded with sa's, and they do strange things to me.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #385  

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothgirl View Post
Thanks hysteria 625, you are probably right about the soy, although with other soy products I have not noticed it. I eat the Soy nuts I get from Nashua Nutrition sometimes with no problems.
Tooth - just to clarify most people don't have a soy issue - I discovered mine at the start of IP - just saying it definitely sounds like you could be reacting to something In The Quest Bars - I would also suggest posting your question on the "Newcomers Start Here" thead
Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #386  

Sheana I am really carb sensitive and on P1 I can't do any fruit - it really affects my insulin/blood sugar.
I'm sure you'll figure things out through trial and error.
I think if weight loss, rather than correcting metabolic syndrome, is your main goal - ultimately the way you are describing eating will be completely fine. IP addresses a few other things and is often successful for women who have genuinely tried other programs and their bodies simply will not release the weight (I was one of those). If your plan works for you and you lose weight and feel fine, then it is a good one.
If you are not losing weight in the manner or speed that you want, perhaps consider removing some of your revisions. I have many friends that have done very successful weight loss including fruits, nuts, oils, limited carbs, etc. - I just had a lot of other factors going on that needed to be addressed that IP really helped me with.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 08-17-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 AM   #387  

Quest bars don't use soy protein. They use a variety of sweeteners, depending on the bar. Also they use a fiber blend and whey. Is there a particular flavor causing the trouble? Quest bars vary in ingredients so I'd start by reading carefully and eliminating ones that cause this response.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #388  

S/C/G: 207/176.4/145

Height: 5'6"

Any thoughts on the Choc Chip Cookie Dough Quest bar? Good for Phase I IP as a restricted, or better to avoid?

I'm in a bit of a stall and looking at possible culprits!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #389  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy08035 View Post
Any thoughts on the Choc Chip Cookie Dough Quest bar? Good for Phase I IP as a restricted, or better to avoid?

Thanks in advance!
It's higher in calories than most (190 vs 170, not a huge difference but 170 is already on the high side) and 42% of the calories come from fat, so technically it doesn't meet the definition of a "restricted." Maybe a once-a-week super-restricted?

This being said, I just checked and my "go-to" flavors have more than 30% fat also (chocolate peanut butter and strawberry cheesecake), so I'm not sure. I wouldn't include them every day, so I think they are fine occasionally.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #390  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy08035 View Post

Super-restricted due to fat. But stalls can happen for many reasons; we'd need to know more about your diet and any exercise habits before blaming the stall on an occasional restricted Quest bar.
Closed Thread