Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #241  
Started IP 4/23/15

S/C/G: 237/226.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
I simply add 1 egg white, 1 stevia packet, a little salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder (and a little water if making pancakes or cookies) to 1 scoop or 1 packet. For bread (multi-purpose protein powder). For muffins and cookies, I used the flavored ones. Just bake at 385 for 20 minutes for bread/ muffins. For cookies, bake at 350 for 8 minutes and then flip and bake for another 5.

I'm really enjoying this - this batter recipe is so versatile!
Ro, I finally tried making a "bread" last night. I used the proti-diet tomato basil soup packet as the base. I added some dried Italian herbs and baked it in a small soufflé cup in my toaster oven. IMO that tomato basil packet is 100% inedible as a soup. But the bread recipe salvaged it. I won't say it was great, but it was completely fine. I guess I could eventually try making a sandwich out of it. Thanks for the great hint!

Overall, the first week hasn't been too rough. I'm relying on my PaleoMeal shakes for at least 1 IP food every day and sometimes 2. I'm interspersing several varieties of Quest chips, proti diet products and proti thin products. I lost 5# in the first week, which I am happy with.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #242  
Started IP 4/23/15

Also, thanks everyone for all the discussion around eating out, socializing, and support for the diet from friends and family. I really enjoyed reading (and thinking) about everyone's perspectives, and I have a lot to consider. I hadn't really thought of myself as "brave" since so far having boiled or grilled protein and steamed or grilled non-starchy vegetables has been an option everywhere I've been. But I would love be able to claim that descriptor! I think I will really feel brave if a situation comes up that just doesn't have an option that will work with IP and I am able to figure a way around it. Although, more likely, that's the kind of situation that I will probably just decline for now.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #243  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Also, thanks everyone for all the discussion around eating out, socializing, and support for the diet from friends and family. I really enjoyed reading (and thinking) about everyone's perspectives, and I have a lot to consider. I hadn't really thought of myself as "brave" since so far having boiled or grilled protein and steamed or grilled non-starchy vegetables has been an option everywhere I've been. But I would love be able to claim that descriptor! I think I will really feel brave if a situation comes up that just doesn't have an option that will work with IP and I am able to figure a way around it. Although, more likely, that's the kind of situation that I will probably just decline for now.
Just have to do the best you can with the options that are present. Sometimes it's going to mean asking for napkins to remove a sauce off the meat, or requesting no dressings on the veggies. The way I view it is ... you can't control everything and do you really want to give up on living your life, which involves social eating? One day of less than optimal choices isn't going to derail you unless you allow it to. Remember that to gain a lb of REAL weight (rather than water weight) takes around 3500 calories. Is a small variation of 100% compliance really going to give you that many calories? Keep it in perspective.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #244  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Ro, I finally tried making a "bread" last night. I used the proti-diet tomato basil soup packet as the base. I added some dried Italian herbs and baked it in a small soufflé cup in my toaster oven. IMO that tomato basil packet is 100% inedible as a soup. But the bread recipe salvaged it. I won't say it was great, but it was completely fine. I guess I could eventually try making a sandwich out of it. Thanks for the great hint!

Overall, the first week hasn't been too rough. I'm relying on my PaleoMeal shakes for at least 1 IP food every day and sometimes 2. I'm interspersing several varieties of Quest chips, proti diet products and proti thin products. I lost 5# in the first week, which I am happy with.
I have since learned to add 1/2 tsp xanthate gum to give it a bit of gummy texture vs it being so dense. Also, when I made the bread today, I did not add stevia - I liked it better w/o it.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #245  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:

I have since learned to add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum to give it a bit of gummy texture vs it being so dense. Also, when I made the bread today, I did not add stevia - I liked it better w/o it.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #246  
Started IP 4/23/15

Quote:
I have since learned to add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum to give it a bit of gummy texture vs it being so dense. Also, when I made the bread today, I did not add stevia - I liked it better w/o it.
Oh that's funny. I'd just assumed the stevia was for sweet breads and didn't add it. (I actually skipped the salt too, for the same reason - since I thought the salt was to balance the sweet in a baked good). I think I must've over whipped the egg white because the final product was somewhat fluffy.

I'd like to try the xantham gum for more bite or texture. Can I get it at a regular grocery store? If so, what section is it in?
Old 05-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #247  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Oh that's funny. I'd just assumed the stevia was for sweet breads and didn't add it. (I actually skipped the salt too, for the same reason - since I thought the salt was to balance the sweet in a baked good). I think I must've over whipped the egg white because the final product was somewhat fluffy.

I'd like to try the xantham gum for more bite or texture. Can I get it at a regular grocery store? If so, what section is it in?
I don't whip the egg white. I just mix the ingredients together with a spoon.
Yes, you can get it at local store. It is where they have the Bob's Red Mill packages - sometimes in baking section and sometimes in specialty aisle.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #248  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default Variety packs to try alternative products

I just complied a list of links in another thread and thought it might be useful to people who are starting on alternatives.

It's great to begin with variety/sample packs. Here the ones I have found:

Variety packs offered from Nashua Nutrition
There are definitely other variety packs not listed on that page, such as:
HealthSmart Protein Bar Variety Pack
HealthSmart Hot Chocolate Variety Pack
HealthSmart Pudding & Shake Variety Pack
HealthSmart Pudding Variety Pack
Proti-Thin bar variety pack
Proti-Thin Shake & Pudding Variety Pack
Weight Loss Systems 15 gram protein bars
They also have samples of almost any protein powder imaginable - including Quest

From Diet Direct
WonderSlim Try Me Assortment (Some of these products do not have as much protein though - 12g vs. 15g).
WonderSlim Meal Replacement Nutrition Bar Variety Pack (same as WLS bars above)
WonderSlim Meal Replacement Pudding/Shake Variety Pack (Aspartame-free, 15 g protein each)

From Quest Nutrition
12 Flavor Sample Pack
Sampler Sweetened with Stevia and Erythritol
6 Flavor Sample Pack

These are all the samples that I have tried. Have fun sampling!

Last edited by EmmaD; 05-04-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Found FOUR more on Nashua!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #249  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
I just complied a list of links in another thread and thought it might be useful to people who are starting on alternatives.

It's great to begin with variety/sample packs. Here the ones I have found:

Variety packs offered from Nashua Nutrition
There are definitely other variety packs not listed on that page, such as:
HealthSmart Protein Bar Variety Pack
Proti-Thin bar variety pack
Weight Loss Systems 15 gram protein bars
They also have samples of almost any protein powder imaginable - including Quest

From Diet Direct
WonderSlim Try Me Assortment (Some of these products do not have as much protein though - 12g vs. 15g).
WonderSlim Meal Replacement Nutrition Bar Variety Pack (same as WLS bars above)
WonderSlim Meal Replacement Pudding/Shake Variety Pack (Aspartame-free, 15 g protein each)

From Quest Nutrition
12 Flavor Sample Pack
Sampler Sweetened with Stevia and Erythritol
6 Flavor Sample Pack

These are all the samples that I have tried. Have fun sampling!
Thanks for this! I wanted to try Quest powders, but didn't want to commit to a whole tub of it...

Briael's husband might be interested in those samples too! :P
Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #250  
Started IP 4/23/15

Hi all,

I finally tried the liquid concentrate products I bought from Proti-Diet. I really like these! They're SO easy to mix. I have the grape and the green tea with cranberry, and both are pretty decent.

Have you guys tried any other concentrate flavors that were good?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Hi all,

I finally tried the liquid concentrate products I bought from Proti-Diet. I really like these! They're SO easy to mix. I have the grape and the green tea with cranberry, and both are pretty decent.

The Peach-Mango is fantastic! (http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store...ngo-7-box.html) So the grape is good too?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #252  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Hi all,

I LOVE the wildberry (nothing like the IP yogurt one, but yummy!)

I use these liquid concentrates when I am on the go. I can buy bottled water and add the concentrate to it and not need to drag around a shaker bottle!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I LOVE the wildberry (nothing like the IP yogurt one, but yummy!)

I use these liquid concentrates when I am on the go. I can buy bottled water and add the concentrate to it and not need to drag around a shaker bottle!
Does it really taste like McDonalds orange drink? Saw that on a review.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #254  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASharkIPromise View Post
Thanks for this! I wanted to try Quest powders, but didn't want to commit to a whole tub of it...

Briael's husband might be interested in those samples too! :P
We have all the Quest protein powders already - along with the Multi-Purpose variety LOL (I did tell you he has 28, right?) GNC, BPI, BodyTech, Optimum Nutrition, IsoPure, Designer Whey (which is disgusting), Dymatize, HealthSmart's Chocolite range and Syntrax Nectar are the ones I remember off the top of my head, but there are more (always more!).

If you'd like - I can put a scoop of each into a separate baggie and send it to you to try, Sharkie. Personally, we don't like them - it's an 80% whey/ 20% casein mix and therefore a little more "fluffy" in texture than the finely milled powders that we love. Have to admit that they bake better than the others though, and I grudgingly acknowledge that the Strawberries and cream makes excellent crepes with a tbsp of almond flour/meal (not IP compliant, but nowhere near as bad as using regular flour).

Not sure there are many PPs out there that aren't already taking up room in my pantry. /sigh

EDIT: Just a quick word of warning for people going to the protein powders as an alternative to IP products. Please read the nutrition label for vitamins and minerals. If you are having these on top of a daily multi-vitamin you may be getting too much of a vitamin that can build toxicity.

Last edited by Briael; 05-04-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #255  

Quote:
Did you freeze it or did it come out as ice cream right after blending? If you froze it, how long did you do that for? I bought a Ninja today, and I am anxious to try this recipe. I am going to have ice cream for dessert tomorrow!
Sorry for not responding, just saw this post. I do not freeze it, but it does come out kinda runny, but I like it that way (immediate gratification LOL). I have since noticed I do add more than 1/4 cup of water. I have found if you add more after blending it well, you can get the consistency you like. I had to buy a new Ninja blender this weekend, the teeth on the motor stripped. It lasted for several years. I upgraded and bought the Nutri Ninja Blender, works great! Hope you enjoy yours.
Closed Thread