Old 11-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #16  

Default Going back

Getting quite a few pounds after going in maintenance on IP had uncontrollable sweet cravings it's as though my body is searching for something never full always wanting to eat does anybody did anybody else have this after they went off IP
Fennaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Yes, 5.5 yrs after initial goal, including a baby and baby weight loss. Yes, I do not have a 'fun day' anymore I am 90% good and 10% bad. I do supplement but not in the same way that IP taught me. I did however have a 'fun day' for at least 9 months past my initial goal.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Chocolaty chai tea from superstore. Oddly Splenda egg nog syrup works great in it.
That sounds great. Interesting too.
Oppaloopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennaz2 View Post
Getting quite a few pounds after going in maintenance on IP had uncontrollable sweet cravings it's as though my body is searching for something never full always wanting to eat does anybody did anybody else have this after they went off IP
Oops I didn't read this entire thread and now realized I had already replied to original query with my situation.

Fenna: usually for me that means I've had too may carbs or it's that time of the month. Make it a few really clean days and the cravings might go down.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #20  

Quote:
Hi Fennaz2, Yes, that was my experience. It was pretty unpleasant and distressing. I went to a nutritionist who told me it was a natural response to the starvation of Phase1 and that it would subside eventually.

A suggestions is to make sure you have a baseline way of eating that has enough healthy calories that you enjoy. If you are getting enough calories, then it is easier to persuade yourself that the feeling of insatiable hunger is not actual physiological hunger.

For sweet cravings, it might help to use artificially sweetened things like bars, or fruit. I drink a lot of dilute, cold herbal tea sweetened with stevia. Bottom line is that you truly have the power to not act on those cravings. I only realized that after reading Brain Over Binge. It's simple but not easy!

Maintenance is learning how to eat, all over again. It is really different from Phase 1. Find what works for you. IP unfortunately isn't all that useful once you reach goal, imo.

Best wishes to you!

Last edited by Sundove; 11-19-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Yes, it is possible to maintain. I did IP in 2011 from June-Dec. I hit my goal and phased off. I maintained within 5# of my goal weight for just about 3 years. My basic maintenance plan during this time was eating low carb during the week and eating freely on the weekend. I know it is not what IP promotes for maintenance, but it worked for me. I should also mention that I worked out 5-6x per week during this time.

In 2014, I changed my workouts and received some pretty terrible nutrition advice. I was advised that I needed to change what I was doing, so I did. That lead me to gaining back 30#. In Oct. of 2015, I had finally hit a low point and got back on IP to do a full reboot. I lost those 30# by March and have maintained ever since. I have also adjusted the way I maintain. I still workout 5-6x per week, but after much experimenting, I have figured out how many calories and how many grams of carbs I can eat to maintain my weight. I also allow myself one cheat meal per week. I feel that this is working really well for me and I have been able to maintain between 134-138. And if I ever get over that comfort level, I just do a week or so of reduced carbs and get my weight back into my comfort zone.

In my opinion, maintenance is really about finding what works for you and what you can live with. I'm not gonna lie, you really do have to change your lifestyle, but you have to find what you can live with. In general, I stay away from sugar and I stay away from grains. I save these for special occasions, holidays and my cheat meal. All my meals are focused around vegetables (including starchy), fruit, lean protein and healthy fats. This allows me to maintain my weight without too much effort.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:21 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Yep.... Maintaining after 4 years this coming March.... I am up and down a few pounds every week but that's normal life since we don't stay the exact same weight every day for many reasons. For maintenance I stay away from grains generally, and fruit is a rarity. I stay under 50 carbs net/day so closer to keto style - for the first couple years I could stay at the same general goal weight eating ≤125g carbs but now that I am fully through menopause I find I need to eat fewer carbs on most days to stay close to my goal.

BTW, some find eating sweet sugar-free foods that use artificial sweeteners causes cravings, while others find that helps satisfy those cravings. For me, if I eat a lot of sweet tasting stuff, even if it's no carb sweeteners, it makes me want more. Often cravings can mean you are not getting enough sodium, strangely enough. A bit of pickle juice or a lick of salt out of your hand can help.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Yes, this happens to me too. When I am on IP / VLC, I am constantly craving sweets and dreaming of binging on cakes or cookies, or whatever. It doesn't matter how deep I am in ketosis or for how long I have been off sugar.

I find these feelings go away when I am eating adequate calories (roughly 1500 for me in maintenance) and eating enough good carbs (approx. 125g). By good carbs, I mean some fruit, veggies and starchy veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, corn, etc.). I typically avoid grains, except for my fun meal.

When I am eating some carbs, I feel full and sated and am not looking stuff my face and I am happy with my meal plan. Keep in mind, that compared to the typical American diet, this is still considered low(er) carb. But it is enough that it doesn't have me daydreaming about food and pigging out on junk.

Also remember, that all bodies are different and we can all tolerate different levels of our macros and we all react differently. My body can handle moderate amounts of carbs and I can maintain my weight. This is not true for all.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 233/174/155

Height: 5' 6"

Yes. If you don't return to old bad habits, it is absolutely possible to maintain after losing weight on IP. You will fluctuate, as previous posters have attested to, but you are in control of what you eat, how you live and the food that you use to sustain yourself.
TheNewMicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 233/174/155

Height: 5' 6"

Default I dream of carbs too!

I am a carb/sweets dreamer too! I had a very lifelike dream the other night. I ate whatever I came across, no matter how carb-filled or sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
Yes, this happens to me too. When I am on IP / VLC, I am constantly craving sweets and dreaming of binging on cakes or cookies, or whatever. It doesn't matter how deep I am in ketosis or for how long I have been off sugar.

I find these feelings go away when I am eating adequate calories (roughly 1500 for me in maintenance) and eating enough good carbs (approx. 125g). By good carbs, I mean some fruit, veggies and starchy veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, corn, etc.). I typically avoid grains, except for my fun meal.

When I am eating some carbs, I feel full and sated and am not looking stuff my face and I am happy with my meal plan. Keep in mind, that compared to the typical American diet, this is still considered low(er) carb. But it is enough that it doesn't have me daydreaming about food and pigging out on junk.

Also remember, that all bodies are different and we can all tolerate different levels of our macros and we all react differently. My body can handle moderate amounts of carbs and I can maintain my weight. This is not true for all.
TheNewMicki is offline   Reply With Quote