Old 09-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/245/189

Height: 5'10'

Default Zero appetite

I am 6 months in and have lost 85.5 (last weigh in was 2 weeks ago) so I expect 90 pounds by now.

For about a month I have completely lost my appetite.

I can only have the shakes and sometimes a cucumber or salad but that is it.

Did anyone else experience this?

Thanks
jodmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #2  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Could you be pregnant? I ask because IP can make birth control ineffective.

I believe it was Dangeron (I think, a fellow IPer) that struggled with serious nausea a few months ago. I think her coach had her switch to the Diabetic Plan for awhile.

I experienced appetite loss (but no nausea) toward the end of my weight loss, and my weight loss also was quite slow. My appetite has now returned to a healthy state now that I am in P3 (I think the carbs have done me a lot of good in wanting to eat again).

I wonder if you are not getting enough calories?
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Is it nausea, or just feeling too full to eat?

If it's the fullness, (and I'm sorry for the TMI moment) but how is your "going" going? If your system is backed up, the extra stuff in your upper GI tract can press against your stomach and make what little you eat feel HUGE in there. Trust me, as someone who has a slow digestive system due to hypothyroidism, I know this feeling all too well.

If that seems like it might be the case, start by using a regimen of Miralax (and drink extra water every day) - take one dose for 2 days...if nothing happens take a dose in the AM and a dose in the PM for a few days. If still nothing, call your doc because you may need something stronger. This is what my OB/GYN prescribed for me when I had issues while pregnant with my 2nd, and what I used when I had a "backup" issue the first time I was on IP.

And just to head off any questions, Miralax IS IP safe. One dose has less than 1g carb and 17g dietary fiber.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331/245/189

Height: 5'10'

Thanks guys

To answer your questions ... no definitely not pregnant. I do not have nausea - just absolutely no hunger.

I am definitely not getting enough calories ... If (and that is a big IF) I have 3 shakes 330 calories plus 1 restricted 200 calories and some salad? 600 - 700 calories a day I am assuming is not good - especially when I am 5'10 and my current Basal Metabolic Rate is 1688 kcal per day. Funny thing I still feel fine energy wise - but I still have 50 pounds to lose so it is not like my body can't find some fat stores to burn off.

My digestive system is fine ... except I am not eating much - so it is relative, I suppose. But no, not backed up.

I do however feel ill in the middle of the night and wake up from it.
Like heartburn ... however I am assuming it is because I have nothing in my stomach. If I have a shake, it goes away.

My IP coach said she had one other client who had the same thing - however I do not know if it is a passing thing (forgot to ask) and I do not see her for another week - which is the reason I wanted to ask here.

I am also considering doing some exercise classes ... if I burn more calories it might kick start my appetite.
jodmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #5  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodmarsha View Post
Thanks guys

To answer your questions ... no definitely not pregnant. I do not have nausea - just absolutely no hunger.

I am definitely not getting enough calories ... If (and that is a big IF) I have 3 shakes 330 calories plus 1 restricted 200 calories and some salad? 600 - 700 calories a day I am assuming is not good - especially when I am 5'10 and my current Basal Metabolic Rate is 1688 kcal per day. Funny thing I still feel fine energy wise - but I still have 50 pounds to lose so it is not like my body can't find some fat stores to burn off.

My digestive system is fine ... except I am not eating much - so it is relative, I suppose. But no, not backed up.

Like heartburn ... however I am assuming it is because I have nothing in my stomach. If I have a shake, it goes away.

My IP coach said she had one other client who had the same thing - however I do not know if it is a passing thing (forgot to ask) and I do not see her for another week - which is the reason I wanted to ask here.

I am also considering doing some exercise classes ... if I burn more calories it might kick start my appetite.
I suspect you may be feeling hypoglycemic at night. I think it might be worth a trip to your doc just to make sure there isn't anything else going on, but I really think the diabetic protocol may be worth a try.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:

Like heartburn ... however I am assuming it is because I have nothing in my stomach. If I have a shake, it goes away

The calories you are taking in ARE accurate for the IP diet, so you're good there.

If you're getting heartburn I would maybe try adding some Senna Tea every day and just see if that causes something to happen - you might not even know that you've got stuff in your stuff

EDIT::: You are at a weight where you can actually have 4 packets per day instead of 3....if the shake at night relieves your discomfort you can also try adding 1 unrestricted packet per day. Exercise won't speed up the process on IP, it's not how the diet was designed.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 09-05-2014 at 01:19 PM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #7  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

I posted last night in the daily saying I am totally not hungry. I'm almost at goal. I'm still getting everything in but more by the clock than by hunger dictating it. A long time ago so robe posted that their coach said it is common on IP to get "anorexic" which is loss of appetite not the same as anorexia nervosa where you are choosing not to eat.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #8  

Quote:
Thanks guys

First off, congrats on your weight loss!!!

Are you eating your veggies, too? Not just salad? And adding oil?
For me, 700 cals is usually my low end. I'm often 7-900 with occasional days up to 1000. Blending veggies into shakes or pureeing them to add to soups is an easy way to get the veggies in but not add bulk, especially if you lack appetite.

IP is NOT a balanced diet. We maintain on balanced diets and lose when we unbalance for a while. Look at your progress!

Many people (not all) get a ketogenic lack of hunger, which is what renders this diet so effective. If I'm not hungry, I'm less apt to stray.

I had to add digestive enzymes to assist with heartburn and other stomach problems, which existed prior to IP but I'm learning to deal with them.

Exercise is really not recommended for people on these very low cal diets, unless it is very gentle (gentle yoga or walking the dog, for example
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #9  
Evemomma

Yeah, like Lisa....my caloric intake on P1 was more like 800-1000 (if I had steak or salmon). I don't know that I was ever as low as 600.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

My hunger levels varied while on Phase 1, but your comment about heartburn waking you up struck a chord with me. Any possibility that it could be your gallbladder?
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #11  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
My hunger levels varied while on Phase 1, but your comment about heartburn waking you up struck a chord with me. Any possibility that it could be your gallbladder?
I thought about that, too, Slipfree. My hurt in my back upper right, but sometimes people feel it more in their ribs in the front.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am not on IP but my gallbladder definitely felt the strain with quick loss. It was under the ribs as described. An ache that came and went. Luckily I did not need it removed (you'll know it if you need that 'cos it will really hurt) and the pain has gone now.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #13  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

My caloric intake is usually between 600-700 on nights that I choose chicken for my dinner protein. Like tonight, I'm at 689 because I had chicken. When I have beef it is closer to 850-950ish.

But I go through times that I am not hungry at all and then times that I am. I find that I am hungrier on days that I have bars for my snack.

Last edited by nat1015; 09-05-2014 at 08:17 PM.
nat1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 258/165/143

Height: 5'3"

This is my 3rd week doing IP and I don't get hungry, I mostly only eat because I have to, I haven't added lettuce to my veggies for the past week because I already get full with the IP food, 4 cups of veggies and 8 oz. of protein and tons of water.
Ariel13 is offline   Reply With Quote