Old 02-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #211  
Restart IP 1/1/15

S/C/G: 265.5/248/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
Hi all - I had to relate something that happened today. The lady that inspired me to start IP and who is still actively on the diet and losing (albeit slowly but she's lost over 50 pounds so far) came into our boss's office and picked up 3 pieces of candy (it happens to be the kind I LOVE) and ate them! I was, at the time, munching on a bag of raw peppers and cucumbers. I have been SO WORRIED about deviating at all hearing about being knocked out of ketosis and she ate CANDY! I guess I'll see how she does but when I get a chance I have to see if she's done that all along. She did tell me that she just uses regular salad dressing while I've been very diligent with the oil & vinegar only.
This is my second round with IP the first being 2 yrs ago. I am on week 8 and down 17 lbs. I would have to say I am 90% OP. Two years ago I stayed 100% on plan for the first 90 days. I lost 8 lbs a month then and this time I have not been as diligent but am still losing the same 8 lbs in the past two months. This go around I have been having a harder time sticking 100% to plan regarding things like salad dressing or a little more protein at times. I by no means am eating cake or non IP chips and I am not encouraging people to cheat. For me using regular salad dressing is what has kept me on plan and sane. I don't use a large amount and dip my fork into the dressing vs pouring it onto my salad. Maybe if I didn't do this I would lose more weight but the plan states that on average women lose 2-3 lbs per week and I am averaging 2.25 lbs a week. Believe me I don't announce this to my coach. For me I find that being able to use a little salad dressing keeps me from really going off plan. To me this is about a life style change vs just a diet.
gs463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #212  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

What about intential disruption not a slip up using a CKD (cyclic ketogenic Diet) or Carbnite theory on top of IP? Dr. Kiefer's carbnite.com or lyle Mcdonald has good resources also.
After a few days your body adapts and starts becoming efficient. Efficient sounds good right? If you think of fat a gasoline and you wanted to get the tank empty fast would you use a hybrid prius (efficient) or an '84 dodge ram pickup using a carburetor and manual choke? This approach also seems to offset the thyroid down regulation that can result in low carb/ ketogenic. Dr. Kiefer has lots of information and does pretty good at sourcing his research.
So by disrupting the adaption (which is a survival mechanism metabolically) every 10 -14 days & definitely not less than 7 you would intentionally consume a carbohydrate load. Depending on your exercise load and weight loss goals that may not be that much. Using an IP approach that would very likely be a single serving of something otherwise it far too high of a % of daily intake.
My first time on IP I used this general concept and avg. 8# a week till my goal. After my weigh in I have the normal sandwich and chips at quiznos for lunch then back 100% rest of the week. I didn't know about carbnite then but was familiar with CKD, RFL, and bodyopous methods. Carbnite is designed more for a low exercise lifestyle. Dr. Kiefer who wrote the carbnite book podcast site is body.io Appears he is redoing his websites.
He also does a podcast and has started to have one that caters to female. Because as everybody can read. Females respond very different to a low carb approach.
I would read more on this concept and then take a self assessment before attempting. Because it can go south really fast. But it also has a lot of benefits if done right.
He also sells a low carb cook book. http://transformingrecipes.com/
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #213  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs463 View Post
This is my second round with IP the first being 2 yrs ago. I am on week 8 and down 17 lbs. I would have to say I am 90% OP. Two years ago I stayed 100% on plan for the first 90 days. I lost 8 lbs a month then and this time I have not been as diligent but am still losing the same 8 lbs in the past two months. This go around I have been having a harder time sticking 100% to plan regarding things like salad dressing or a little more protein at times. I by no means am eating cake or non IP chips and I am not encouraging people to cheat. For me using regular salad dressing is what has kept me on plan and sane. I don't use a large amount and dip my fork into the dressing vs pouring it onto my salad. Maybe if I didn't do this I would lose more weight but the plan states that on average women lose 2-3 lbs per week and I am averaging 2.25 lbs a week. Believe me I don't announce this to my coach. For me I find that being able to use a little salad dressing keeps me from really going off plan. To me this is about a life style change vs just a diet.
I agree with you 100%. If you can't STAY on it, then it will ultimately fail. Make the adjustments you need to make IP work for YOU. You are unique, your body's needs are in a range, not a preset value, and you have to tailor any eating plan to your specific requirements.

Many people have financial criteria which force them to be 100% compliant; others have carb sensitivity and some have willpower versus exposure issues that slow down their loss, so they choose to restrict to avoid temptation. Whatever works for you is what is your best bet on this journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
What about intential disruption not a slip up using a CKD (cyclic ketogenic Diet) or Carbnite theory on top of IP? Dr. Kiefer's carbnite.com or lyle Mcdonald has good resources also.
After a few days your body adapts and starts becoming efficient. Efficient sounds good right? If you think of fat a gasoline and you wanted to get the tank empty fast would you use a hybrid prius (efficient) or an '84 dodge ram pickup using a carburetor and manual choke? This approach also seems to offset the thyroid down regulation that can result in low carb/ ketogenic. Dr. Kiefer has lots of information and does pretty good at sourcing his research.
So by disrupting the adaption (which is a survival mechanism metabolically) every 10 -14 days & definitely not less than 7 you would intentionally consume a carbohydrate load. Depending on your exercise load and weight loss goals that may not be that much. Using an IP approach that would very likely be a single serving of something otherwise it far too high of a % of daily intake.
My first time on IP I used this general concept and avg. 8# a week till my goal. After my weigh in I have the normal sandwich and chips at quiznos for lunch then back 100% rest of the week. I didn't know about carbnite then but was familiar with CKD, RFL, and bodyopous methods. Carbnite is designed more for a low exercise lifestyle. Dr. Kiefer who wrote the carbnite book podcast site is body.io Appears he is redoing his websites.
He also does a podcast and has started to have one that caters to female. Because as everybody can read. Females respond very different to a low carb approach.
I would read more on this concept and then take a self assessment before attempting. Because it can go south really fast. But it also has a lot of benefits if done right.
He also sells a low carb cook book. http://transformingrecipes.com/
I think we must subscribe to the same health gurus, wylothar. I get all the emails from Kiefer, Gunnars, Geary, Cross and Kresser and it has certainly opened my eyes to a lot of health and nutrition issues that I was previously in ignorance of.

For those who don't subscribe, these nutrition gurus often have free-to-download guides on a variety of different dietary styles that CAN work in tandem with IP, or are excellent post-IP maintenance strategies.

Last edited by Briael; 02-28-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

QUOTE: So by disrupting the adaption (which is a survival mechanism metabolically) every 10 -14 days & definitely not less than 7 you would intentionally consume a carbohydrate load. Depending on your exercise load and weight loss goals that may not be that much. Using an IP approach that would very likely be a single serving of something otherwise it far too high of a % of daily intake.

Exactly P4... one 'funday' then back at regular maintenance with a more restricted day immediately after the funday. Works. Ask the maintainers, lol.

Last edited by canadjineh; 02-28-2015 at 03:06 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #215  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
QUOTE: So by disrupting the adaption (which is a survival mechanism metabolically) every 10 -14 days & definitely not less than 7 you would intentionally consume a carbohydrate load. Depending on your exercise load and weight loss goals that may not be that much. Using an IP approach that would very likely be a single serving of something otherwise it far too high of a % of daily intake.

Exactly P4... one 'funday' then back at regular maintenance with a more restricted day immediately after the funday. Works. Ask the maintainers, lol.
The problem I see in general is the tendency of the wheels to fall off. Depending on what someone to the point of needing IP. I have no plans to implement till I have about 50% of the p1 phase then do it. This gives an established new pattern hopefully to offset the potential. Doing it in P4 maintenance you are at your desired weight and using it more as a token of compliance not as a mechanism to aide.

This actually works in reduction process also at least on the N=1 and literature. What if this deviation actually improves the weight loss rate and offsets some of the negatives adaptions that happen in very low calorie, Low fat, and VLC consumption even in the P1. P1 is where we aim to lose 90% of our goal. Keeping the carbohydrate window smaller in size (single item) and duration (one meal). You may not even completely stop fatty acid utilization. Because of the other effects that happen physiologically of the boost. The mechanism does a few things, one is actually anabolic also. That mean build muscle not just spare it. Dr. Kiefer is far better at explaining. One of his quotes "That’s one reason when you eat carbohydrates once a week your body is just in this incredibly wasteful state and burns most of it off as heat but reenergizes hormone levels."

considering this is Jimmy Moore podcast Kiefer interview will likely be skewed more to an overwieght person than an athlete. http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/a...formance/19795

Here he is on Fat burning man show. I know I heard this one. Pretty sure its focus is on Carbnite and not his perfomance model called carb back loading (for athletes). http://fatburningman.com/john-kiefer-carb-backloading/

It is one of the reasons bodybuilders have been doing this for a while. First book on this concept I read was called bodyopous, actually out of print now. The old CKD/ Bodyopous approach you blow up the whole weekend starting Friday afternoons and going back low carb Sundays noon with no regard of what kind of carbs. Hitting ketosis by Tues-Weds latest. Mind you this is for body building and strength athletes. So they had a very high workout rate to offset those 48 hours. In the workout recommendations was to have a bucket handy for losing your cookies. They also weren't overweight to begin with as compared to a typical dieter. These were professional aesthetic sport applications so extremes are normal.

Last edited by wylothar; 02-28-2015 at 05:46 PM.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #216  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hahaha, I don't think eating to excess (of anything) and then losing your cookies is a healthy eating strategy... but then people go way past physical & mental health for their 'sport' - just look at all the idiots out there doping ( and there are more than you think, they just have trained medical backup to help them hide the evidence.)

Anyhow that is an extreme example. Perhaps I didn't have these issues as others have had since I was very athletic before getting ill & gaining, and only needed to lose 30 lbs. Still, when I was part way through, my body did rebel until I added in the Alternative Protocol (1 serving dairy, 1 serving fruit, 1 serving starch carb). Then I felt healthier & lost weight again.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #217  

Height: 5'5"

Hello all - hope you don't mind me reviving this thread. I'm only on day 9 and I had an Oops. We went out to lunch for a coworkers birthday, today. We went to a great korean place that does noodle bowls, packed with meats and veggies. I thought I would be safe and order a noodle-less noodle bowl. Comes with fish sauce, which I have some at home at has <1g carb and <1g sugar, just lots of salt. Well I poured the fish sauce on and noticed right away how sweet it tasted. Took a bite of the meat, and it was sweet too. I had already ordered, and I was so tired of people asking me questions about what I can and can't eat, and looking at me like a dog in the pound, that I just ate it. God it was good.

Anyway -- just wanted to get it off my chest. I had sugar and I liked it. .

Bre
coloradogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #218  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

Quote:
Took a bite of the meat, and it was sweet too. I had already ordered, and I was so tired of people asking me questions about what I can and can't eat, and looking at me like a dog in the pound, that I just ate it. God it was good.

Haha! I think the inane questioning is the worst part of this. EVERY meal with co-workers becomes intolerable due to their questions and sad looks that you dont want to eat bread, like you are starving. Its been over a year! Thankfully friends and family dont care so much. I feel like co-workers want you to fail.
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #219  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl View Post
I had already ordered, and I was so tired of people asking me questions about what I can and can't eat, and looking at me like a dog in the pound, that I just ate it. God it was good.

Bre
Haha, that is too funny. I got a little nervous to see this thread reactivated, but I completely understand feeling pressured to eat what you've already ordered and needing to confess.

Confession: I went to a hibachi grill for my roommate's birthday this weekend. I ordered a meal of filet and scallops, no noodles, no rice, extra veggies. It really sucked to spend that much money and only receive half the food everyone else did, but I figured it was worth it to be compliant.

But then they started cooking in front of us. And the first thing that happened was BUTTER. SO MUCH BUTTER. I nearly cried while everyone else was oohing and ahhing over the cooking tricks.

I was super upset the entire meal. Because BUTTER. But I ate my veggies and meat quietly rather than cause a scene.

I'm still upset about it. But the scale has remained level since then, and now I know to stick to the ceviche appetizer the next time I go.

This has been my confession, may it haunt me no more.
ImASharkIPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #220  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASharkIPromise View Post
I got a little nervous to see this thread reactivated,
me too!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASharkIPromise View Post
And the first thing that happened was BUTTER. SO MUCH BUTTER.

This has been my confession, may it haunt me no more.
We're all human, it's good to acknowledge that slip-ups happen and talk it out.

Ladies, I applaud you both!! I think one of the most important things we gain on IP is awareness, especially of those "extras" that go into our food. If we know what we're eating, it helps us know how our bodies will react, and can assist us in making different/better choices next time.

In a similar vein of unexpected food things, we stopped at Chick-fil-a for lunch after my son's baseball game Saturday - I figured a salad with grilled chicken would be easy right? Nope, two of them came with fruit so I opted for the Cobb - which was full of corn, shredded carrot and grated cheese! So I ate the few (very small!) pieces of chicken, and picked around the salad to get to the lettuce. It was a total disappointment! As soon as we got home, I fixed an IP compliant salad and had some vinegar crisps.

Last edited by JJTx; 06-17-2015 at 01:00 PM.
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 189/177/145

Height: 5"7

Just had my first slip up last night. I got home from Happy Hour (where I was an angel and had only water and grilled asparagus), made a quick stir fry for my husband and myself for dinner. Then right around 9pm I got soooo hungry. So I ate a second Quest bar. I am so ticked off at myself because I didn't NEED that bar. Maybe as an act of subconscious retribution I forgot to pack my morning IP shake today and I will probably not get my snack as a result because I get home late. Which is in and of itself another slip up.
Putinka121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putinka121 View Post
Just had my first slip up last night. I got home from Happy Hour (where I was an angel and had only water and grilled asparagus), made a quick stir fry for my husband and myself for dinner. Then right around 9pm I got soooo hungry. So I ate a second Quest bar. I am so ticked off at myself because I didn't NEED that bar. Maybe as an act of subconscious retribution I forgot to pack my morning IP shake today and I will probably not get my snack as a result because I get home late. Which is in and of itself another slip up.
First of all, GREAT job making it through happy hour!!

As for the late night Quest bar, look at it this way - at least you ate something "legal," instead of diving into a bag of chips or cookies or something you know that's off-plan.

Sorry your day today got off to a rough start. Maybe you can pick up a salad or Quest bar during your lunch hour to get you through the day? Hang in there - some days we get "off" but we adjust the best we can!
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 189/177/145

Height: 5"7

Thank you! That was just the encouragement I needed. You are absolutely right that I can run to the store and grab an extra Quest bar on my lunch hour. I really appreciate the positivity on 3FC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
First of all, GREAT job making it through happy hour!!

As for the late night Quest bar, look at it this way - at least you ate something "legal," instead of diving into a bag of chips or cookies or something you know that's off-plan.

Sorry your day today got off to a rough start. Maybe you can pick up a salad or Quest bar during your lunch hour to get you through the day? Hang in there - some days we get "off" but we adjust the best we can!
Putinka121 is offline   Reply With Quote