Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #181  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
Throughout this diet I have probably had a little extra fat and it hasn't effected me (ok, maybe I would have lost faster than an average of three pounds a week). What I didn't allow were cheats that had carbs in them. I was always more fearful of getting out of ketosis than a little too much olive oil or meat. I don't think cream has carbs.
According to MyFitnessPal, REAL cream is carb-free, but not so with Coffeemate....that has carbs.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I just started the IP diet and hope to be 100% but was reading the 90% threads to keep myself informed on how to deal with situations (like tonight, I have a back to school night picnic and I'm only on day 2 so I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I don't think I'll cheat but thinking I might eat my normal meal at lunch and take a bar or RTD so I'm not ravenous and stay eating every 3 hours).

Anyway, one of the things I've been contemplating was how I could handle my coffee intake. I usually have about 4 cups of coffee in the morning which I am going to try and taper off. Yesterday, the 1 oz of skim milk wasn't enough so I just drank less coffee but that could have been why I had a headache. So, today I used the cappachino drink in my coffee but I must have done something wrong because it was really kind of gross (like putting non dairy creamer in my coffee..it clumped and didn't taste very good). So, to my question. I know with atkins you use creamer and keep away from skim milk. So, is it better to have alittle extra skim milk or try to stretch 1oz of creamer since it has more fat? I think ultimately I will just try to have less coffee and stick to plan but just want to know what the better option would be...
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #183  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
I just started the IP diet and hope to be 100% but was reading the 90% threads to keep myself informed on how to deal with situations (like tonight, I have a back to school night picnic and I'm only on day 2 so I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I don't think I'll cheat but thinking I might eat my normal meal at lunch and take a bar or RTD so I'm not ravenous and stay eating every 3 hours).

Anyway, one of the things I've been contemplating was how I could handle my coffee intake. I usually have about 4 cups of coffee in the morning which I am going to try and taper off. Yesterday, the 1 oz of skim milk wasn't enough so I just drank less coffee but that could have been why I had a headache. So, today I used the cappachino drink in my coffee but I must have done something wrong because it was really kind of gross (like putting non dairy creamer in my coffee..it clumped and didn't taste very good). So, to my question. I know with atkins you use creamer and keep away from skim milk. So, is it better to have alittle extra skim milk or try to stretch 1oz of creamer since it has more fat? I think ultimately I will just try to have less coffee and stick to plan but just want to know what the better option would be...
The packets don't heat very well if you warm coffee in the microwave like normal - they do get clumpy. Heating it more "gently" (lower power, in 30 second increments) sometimes helps but I have found it will sometimes still clump on me. If I use a cappuccino packet I will dissolve it in water, heat the coffee separately and then blend the two. I am normally a heavy coffee drinker as well, I actually use about 1/4 cup of Vanilla RTD shake as my creamer instead - it doesn't add much to the day but gets me closer to the taste of my regular coffee with almond milk

Headaches are common in the first week - you actually may need a bit more salt. It's a little gross, but putting a pinch or two of salt in your water bottle helps immensely with the headaches.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #184  

Thank you scorbett. I will try the vanilla RTD idea. Also, I think I have come up with a solution for today. I just made caffeinated iced tea which I will flavor with splenda. I know headaches are common at first but I didn't want to "add" to the headache by going cold turkey on the caffeine. This will proabably help me with my water intake also.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #185  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
Thank you scorbett. I will try the vanilla RTD idea. Also, I think I have come up with a solution for today. I just made caffeinated iced tea which I will flavor with splenda. I know headaches are common at first but I didn't want to "add" to the headache by going cold turkey on the caffeine. This will proabably help me with my water intake also.
Hopefully the picnic has a veggie tray and salad. You could bring your own burger as a prefab has too much fat and cheaper ones have carbs. I have had a sausage but I was many months into the program so I wouldn't suggest that to you so early. You could eat your real protein at lunch and then just stick to a bar for dinner. Crisps may make you feel like you are having picnic food.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #186  

Thanks for the suggestion ChipNDip. I'm sitting here waiting for the brownies that we are taking to come out of the oven. (Ha - talk about willpower!). What I decided to do for the BBQ tonight, is I already had my real food for lunch . I made a salad for tonight plus I'm bringing some raw veggies on my own just in case. I was going to bring a chips packet to use as croutons or just to eat so I feel fulfilled. This is a potluck so it won't be weird that I brought my own food.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Remember, we are allowed One cup of caffeinated coffee per day. If you have more that us caffeinated, you need to drink an additional 8 oz water for each cup (above the minimum 64 oz per day).
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #188  
Stanski

S/C/G: 152/144/130

Shasta10: Good Luck with your BBQ. In regard to the coffee issue, I used to be a regular at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, usually 2 or 3 large coffee's a day, with tons of extra cream (and I wonder why I was getting fatter, and fatter). When I went on IP I just decided to switch to hot tea (with some sweet leaf stevia tabs) because I felt that my coffee addiction might make me cheat on IP. So since 7/14/14 I haven't had a drop of coffee, and I think when I get on maintenance, coffee will become just an "occasional" treat for the rest of my life. Good luck with your journey.
Stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #189  

Thank you for the info JLUS. My coach did mention the extra water and I did it both days so far. Man, it was ALOT of water.

Stanski - I have also decided to cut back some on my coffee drinking. I remember when I found out how many points a latte was at starbucks I nearly died. Since then a latte is a dessert but I do get the large coffees occasionally.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #190  
IP Start Date 07/11/14

S/C/G: 199/161.0/140

Height: 5'2" (almost)

I put this in the daily chat and wanted to put this out there on this thread too. . . .just in case. . . .

Good morning y'all! I have a couple of questions. . . . first, I am starting to run out of coffee creamer (I buy it by the case and freeze it), and am wanting to give the sugar free syrups a try. The best reviews I have found are for the Torani brand. Of course, there are quite a few out there (i.e. DaVinci, Starbucks, Jordans, etc.) and they are all pricey. Which one would you recommend?

Second, I want to get a new scale (to weigh me). I'm looking at Omron 400 and 500. What do YOU recommend?

Thanks and have a great day!
Pebbles1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #191  
maintaining since 9/2013

shasta10, This may sound gross but I used Tasters Choice instant coffee, made really strong, with vanilla RTD as suggested above. It's very rich and filling and sufficed for breakfast (in fact I still have this for breakfast). My coach told me it was fine to use a little extra during the day to lighten my coffee. Instead I switched to black brewed coffee.

Since this is the 90% thread, I'll add that I drank as much black coffee as I wanted throughout the day, and it was a fair amount. I always got in my 2 Liters of water, but never any extra. My weight loss averaged out to exactly 3 lbs/week. For a 59-60 yr old, it was plenty fast

Pebbles1964 I haven't tried the syrups but I seem to recall that Starbucks might have had some carbs. I also read good reviews for Torani.

FWIW I have a great scale that I purchased on Amazon a little over a year ago for 40.00 It's Ozeri, and gives fat %, hydration, muscle & bone %. The batteries last a long time and replacements are cheap on Amazon.

Last edited by mars735; 09-09-2014 at 11:25 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #192  
IP Start Date 07/11/14

S/C/G: 199/161.0/140

Height: 5'2" (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
shasta10, FWIW I have a great scale that I purchased on Amazon a little over a year ago for 40.00 It's Ozeri, and gives fat %, hydration, muscle & bone %. The batteries last a long time and replacements are cheap on Amazon.
Mars735, thank you very much! I was hoping to get a recommendation for a brand other than Omron. I'm a huge Amazon shopper, I'll go take a look.
Pebbles1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 200/186/165

Height: 5'7"

Glad to have found you ladies I've been 100% and plan to keep it up! But I have a girls trip planned in 2 weeks and I'm going to indulge...with the drinks I heard that it'll put me behind 3-4 days. Anyone else in my boat? Thanks
My3blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #194  

Hi all - I had to relate something that happened today. The lady that inspired me to start IP and who is still actively on the diet and losing (albeit slowly but she's lost over 50 pounds so far) came into our boss's office and picked up 3 pieces of candy (it happens to be the kind I LOVE) and ate them! I was, at the time, munching on a bag of raw peppers and cucumbers. I have been SO WORRIED about deviating at all hearing about being knocked out of ketosis and she ate CANDY! I guess I'll see how she does but when I get a chance I have to see if she's done that all along. She did tell me that she just uses regular salad dressing while I've been very diligent with the oil & vinegar only.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #195  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I haven't changed my coffe consumption at all on Ip. I mix in vanilla RtD's everyday. It will never be as good as my coffee with half and half but my rear isn't as big anymore either. It's a fair trade.

I purchased the Torini sugar free vanilla and have in my decaf in the evening as a treat. It's really good. A little too sweet for me so I go lightly.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote