Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 222/204/140

Height: 5'8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
Congratulations on your scholarship. I have my MSW. What type of work are you hoping to do in the field?
My fulltime job is as a Family Advocate for Head Start which I truly enjoy. I also have a part time job as a crisis counselor through our local emergency rooms counseling services. I believe I would like to do counseling for children/teenagers. I'm still "undecided" at this point though. What do you do?

Last edited by cooluu; 04-28-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #47  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Amber - just wanted to clarify, I wasn't suggesting your coach was wrong or maybe viewing them with different info than just nutrition info... More I was pointing out that for some reason, there are two camps of coaches on these chips! I wonder how corporate intended them to be used?
I know that's what makes it so confusing I too wonder what the head IPer says lol
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #48  
Started IP 11/13/2013

S/C/G: 185/140/128

Height: 5 2

I googled "are ideal protein salt and vinegar chips restricted" and every page that came up says they are not restricted.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I understood the alternative was mandatory for Type 1 diabetics, not necessarily type 2.
I understood type 1 couldn't do this diet at all because the pancreas does not work and won't recover - not the same as type 2 which is insulin resistance. Anyhow, that's true Ruth Ann, it isn't necessarily the way to go but if he is feeling crappy and not losing and nothing else can be figured out? it could be this...
My doc said when I asked about this (because my mom & dad have to watch their blood sugars (dad has pills)) that he would like to make sure they are not 'cold turkey' first and use the alternative plan so that they are getting enough sugars and don't have the shock with the medication as things change, then he can recheck and readjust meds. It probably depends on your BS levels and meds too. not bs as in: but blood sugars, lol.

Liana
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Okay so I asked my coach today about the bbq, S&V, and garlic and herb crisps today and he said they are absolutely a restricted.. Then I had my body analysis done, I think something isn't right with that machine or the inaccuracy in general of course. Last week my lean mass was up and this week it was weigh down and I only lost a lb of fat out of the 3 lost. He wants to know what I'm doing that's not OP but like I told him I'm 100%, so he thinks it's my body getting use to the plan.
There is soooo much in your body that can alter this reading. We used these in my kinesiology classes. We actually had a lab that used this, a caliper and bmi to test which we thought was most accurate. On most people the caliper was the best measure of the things we had available. That can vary depending on the level of skill the person doing it had. One thing to remember about bio-impedance is that it can only measure a short way. So unless you have electrodes all over the body it can only measure what is closest. So one you stand on gives more of a measure of lower body and one that is hand held will measure upper body. It is also very, very, very dependent on hydration measure. They say scale weight should be done first thing in the morning and bio impedance should actually be done at the end of the day. Most people do not drink a gallon of water before weigh in, so your water levels are probably down when you get measured.

Also, body fat does not change a whole lot week to week. It is actually a measurement that should be done less frequently.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #51  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
There is soooo much in your body that can alter this reading. We used these in my kinesiology classes. We actually had a lab that used this, a caliper and bmi to test which we thought was most accurate. On most people the caliper was the best measure of the things we had available. That can vary depending on the level of skill the person doing it had. One thing to remember about bio-impedance is that it can only measure a short way. So unless you have electrodes all over the body it can only measure what is closest. So one you stand on gives more of a measure of lower body and one that is hand held will measure upper body. It is also very, very, very dependent on hydration measure. They say scale weight should be done first thing in the morning and bio impedance should actually be done at the end of the day. Most people do not drink a gallon of water before weigh in, so your water levels are probably down when you get measured.

Also, body fat does not change a whole lot week to week. It is actually a measurement that should be done less frequently.
Thanks for the great explanation! I'm still confused by a coach thinking she's doing something wrong when she lost 3 pounds that week.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I dislike the debate side! I realize that the nutritional information (ie net carbs (carb-fiber)) makes them unrestricted as far as carb wise, but maybe the coach is convinced for some other reason. He's pretty good about giving me good advice including ways I can indulge without IP, like a little teriyaki sauce is ok if I don't have a restricted that day, etc. He says my commitment to the plan makes him feel comfortable letting me know little tricks. I do trust him, I mean he is in it for the right reasons, he's a chiropractor and is pretty big on health. We have had very few issues other than that he's definitely got strong feelings about only using IP stuff but that's natural for all the coaches. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right I'm just saying it makes me nervous lol I guess I will still just think they are restricted in my head
Amber..there is a "hotline" at corporate which is accessible via phone or email for office professionals. My office GRACIOUSLY used that avenue more than once to get the holy grail of an answer for me...

Maybe ask them to do that...humbly admitting to them (to gently massage their ego)...you are aware local office practice advice may hinge on what they have seen in most of their patients which you do think is valuable....BUT ..you would still like both pieces of information...
(A-hem...you are paying for it....)

Last edited by 65X65; 04-29-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #53  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooluu View Post
My fulltime job is as a Family Advocate for Head Start which I truly enjoy. I also have a part time job as a crisis counselor through our local emergency rooms counseling services I believe I would like to do counseling for children/teenagers. I'm still "undecided" at this point though. What do you do?
Oh no....more do-gooders! (LOL)

I'm a licensed clinical professional counselor and registered art therapist. My hours make healthy eating a HUGE challenge. The stress of my early jobs also increased my weight/emotional eating.

The coolest thing I can bring to my clients since being on IP for 2 weeks is the amazing shift in my mood! I always tell my clients that healthy eating is a natural anti-depressant but never could do it myself (ie: my version of a doctor who smokes).
Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 222/204/140

Height: 5'8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post

I'm a licensed clinical professional counselor and registered art therapist. My hours make healthy eating a HUGE challenge. The stress of my early jobs also increased my weight/emotional eating.

The coolest thing I can bring to my clients since being on IP for 2 weeks is the amazing shift in my mood! I always tell my clients that healthy eating is a natural anti-depressant but never could do it myself (ie: my version of a doctor who smokes).
I've been IP for 3 weeks and your right the change in my mood has been incredible. I think I've always put everybody ahead of myself and now I'm finally putting myself first.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #55  
Started IP 4/19/14

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Quick question for those who use Maple Grove Sugar Free pancake mix - where do you buy it?

I have found it online, but I'd like to avoid shipping charges. I have heard some of you mention buying it at the grocery store... where are you shopping? I have checked my local Publix, Super Walmart, and Super Target, and they don't carry it. (I checked in the natural baking products, and also with the conventional pancake mixes.) I checked the local health food store, and they didn't carry it either.

It could just be these stores in particular, so I'm going to check a few other locations while I'm out and about. I find it hard to believe that it isn't available in the entire area.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

I am so excited today after being stalled for 6 weeks the scale has finally dropped 2.4 lbs. I am now in my 130's and one pound away from loosing 15lbs. It has been a long battle with the scale but I stuck with it and it paid off.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post

WOW. Your job sounds AMAZING. Over the past few months, i've considered making healthy eating part of my career. During yoga yesterday, I was thinking of how much it would cost to go back to school for dietetics and become a food counselor/dietitian....what a rewarding career you have! I wish my current one was more rewarding.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #58  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

Hey everyone!
I was hoping to get your opinions on something. For the past week I've been hungry more. I've been eatting all of my required foods and water. I don't believe my activity level has increased so I'm wondering why the hunger? I have chosen to have a additional unrestricted item rather then something off of plan, but still it's more than what you "should" eat on Phase I (alternatives).
The other night I'm saying my prayers and making a mental decision to elminiate this additional item but, the scale has gone down 4 lbs and I still have two days to go before my weekly weigh in! How would you analyze that? I normally have 2-3lb losses a week. Is this just a fluke and I should elminate the extra unrestricted item or do you think the extra protein, calories, carbohydrates are helping?

I want to remain sucessful and meet my goal. I've come a long way, this means alot to me. Please let me know what you think, I woud appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #59  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooluu View Post
I've been IP for 3 weeks and your right the change in my mood has been incredible. I think I've always put everybody ahead of myself and now I'm finally putting myself first.
We women are TERRIBLE at putting ourselves first! It got worse for me once I had kids, too. I was taking care of my clients, my kids, my hubby...but DEFINITELY not myself. I was trying to "quick fix" myself with frappucinos, brownies and French fries.

My mood has been amazing since getting rid of all sugar. I didn't even have the sugar withdrawals I always heard so much about! I shudder to think how sick I have made myself. Blech.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #60  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
WOW. Your job sounds AMAZING. Over the past few months, i've considered making healthy eating part of my career. During yoga yesterday, I was thinking of how much it would cost to go back to school for dietetics and become a food counselor/dietitian....what a rewarding career you have! I wish my current one was more rewarding.
Wow, thanks for helping me appreciate it! I am very fortunate to have a career that is so family friendly and lets me do what I love to do anyway (which is to talk and be with people!).

There are counselors of many kinds: hairdressers, bartenders, sports coach, IP coach (I can only imagine). It sounds like you have that heart in you! I hope you can find a way to use it!
Closed Thread