Old 05-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotrips3 View Post
I don't hate salad, I actually eat a lot of salad normally, however, I'm generally really full with the other food on plan so far. The dressing is kinda bumming me out so I end up not finishing the salad. Oil & vinegar with spices is better than the WF stuff and I can somewhat enjoy it, but it would be great if there was something "creamyish" we could make that was a better tasting sub than Walden Farms. There are low carb, low calorie dressings that I use when I eat normally that just aren't allowed. Salad dressing is not what has made me fat! Haha! Salad will be the least of my concerns when I phase off of this into maintenance! I do expect that my tastes will change, as well. I agree, we need to learn a better way to eat and I intend to. I will be trying every salad dressing recipe I come across on this board! I'll find a great one eventually!
Agree the WF...did not do much for me either! Found rice vinegar and olive oil OK...began adding spicy mustard to that to make a mustard vinaigrette ..that was good. Then found olive oil and fresh squeeze of lemon or line with fresh pepper...liked that a lot and it was easy to get in a restaurant.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 189/166/140

Height: 5'8"

My biggest surprise was that I like Brussels sprouts. I steam them first, then sauté in evoo with garlic and salt until the outsides are brown. They're really good.
Becca Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 203/166/155

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahBell View Post
You can make the following salad dressing recipe ( I LOVE it and no longer buy WF which I cant stand)

1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1 shallot minced
1 egg white
1 tsp. Dijon or spicy mustard
Juice from half a lemon or line (optional)
1/1 to 1 full packet splenda or sweetener
1 c EVOO

In the blender mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the EVOO for abt 3-5 mins. Slowly add in the EVOO your dressing will be this thick and creamy super yummy emulsion that you can dip anything in

This can help the no taste of lettuce trust me. I LOVE salad and all the good stuff in it so I am good!
Trying this salad dressing tonight - looks delicious.

I go through fits and starts with salads. There will be days where I cannot get enough lettuce and greens and others where I do not feel like crunching on my veggies. That's where I find having homemade soup available helps. It allows me to put my greens into a soup and eat them that way.
Sully1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 226/198/162 (or lower)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Boo View Post
My biggest surprise was that I like Brussels sprouts. I steam them first, then sauté in evoo with garlic and salt until the outsides are brown. They're really good.
Try roasting the sprouts in the oven. Cut them in halves or quarters, shake in a bag with a little olive oil, salt, pepper & spices. SO good. Roasted cauliflower or broccoli is delicious, too. I'm starting to get used to this!
momotrips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Height: 5'8"

I feel your pain 'cause I hate iceberg lettuce with a passion. I experimented and tried different types of lettuce and leafy greens. Have you tried romaine with shredded purple cabbage? I also like field greens. Sometimes I mix in some fresh kale. Another lettuce you might try is arugula. It is peppery. I love it with cucumbers and red peppers. It is also wonderful with watermelon radishes or even on its own. They are so pretty when they are cut because they look like a watermelon and they are mild. I make most of my own dresses because I don't care for most of the WF or creamy dressings in general even though I do use them occasionally.

Chop some fresh herbs and add them to your greens. Try fresh basil in the greens or cilantro.

Try pre-shredded angel hair cabbage as a base for salad. There are no carrots in that mix.

Thai style dressing: I use a tsp of grape see oil, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 TBP lime juice, 1 stevia or splenda packet, and a tsp of fresh ginger and a tsp of fresh chopped cilantro.

Other dressings I like: Lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic make a nice dressing. Sometimes, I will mix apple cider vinegar, dill, olive oil, salt, pepper, and splenda.

Keep at it, you'll find something you like.
CrimsonKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #51  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKitten View Post
I feel your pain 'cause I hate iceberg lettuce with a passion. I experimented and tried different types of lettuce and leafy greens. Have you tried romaine with shredded purple cabbage? I also like field greens. Sometimes I mix in some fresh kale. Another lettuce you might try is arugula. It is peppery. I love it with cucumbers and red peppers. It is also wonderful with watermelon radishes or even on its own. They are so pretty when they are cut because they look like a watermelon and they are mild. I make most of my own dresses because I don't care for most of the WF or creamy dressings in general even though I do use them occasionally.

Chop some fresh herbs and add them to your greens. Try fresh basil in the greens or cilantro.

Try pre-shredded angel hair cabbage as a base for salad. There are no carrots in that mix.

Thai style dressing: I use a tsp of grape see oil, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 TBP lime juice, 1 stevia or splenda packet, and a tsp of fresh ginger and a tsp of fresh chopped cilantro.

Other dressings I like: Lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic make a nice dressing. Sometimes, I will mix apple cider vinegar, dill, olive oil, salt, pepper, and splenda.

Keep at it, you'll find something you like.
All good ideas! Just remember to count the cabbage, arugula, field greens, etc. as part of your veggies - only lettuce (iceberg, romaine, butter, etc.) is a "free" food.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #52  
IP Start 04/29/2014

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post
I don't like salad very much either. My coaches really promote eating 4+ cups of lettuce per day. She gave a technique/recipe for putting it in a shake:

2 cups romaine
1 packet IP wildberry yogurt drink
2tablespoons WF marshmallow dip
Mix above in blender then add 5 Ice cubes

I do this for breakfast and lunch.

I have heard other people use other drinks and then add lettuce and blend in the blender.

Hope this helps.
I think I may try this for breakfast tomorrow, thanks for the recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I have some WF products but I've never seen ranch at my coaches, I'll have to look online.
Im not sure if you have tried it yet, but WF has a Chipotle Ranch, its not great but it might suffice to calm your Ranch flavor craving.
dtbutler4 is offline   Reply With Quote