Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #1  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

Default Suggestions, advice on how to handle a vacation coming up...

Hello Everyone! I had my 2nd WI today and I am down another 3lbs, for a total of 11lbs now, and was measured for the first time since starting 2 weeks ago as well- lost 15 inches! I was in awe, could hardly believe it!

So obviously, I am extra motivated now to keep on IP to see even further results...but I have a family vacation booked to California from Sept 15-22nd. I can't decide what I want to do. If I should stay OP completely...or if I should phase off before then- and if so how do I do that?! I really do not want to all out cheat completely for a week- but I just don't think I will be able to last 7 whole days vacationing without caving in to a treat or two. What have others done in this situation? I have yet to talk to my coach about it. Will do that at my next weigh in.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
jmanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #2  

This is where I royally screwed up on the diet so far. I had a week off in early July, so the coach had me start a two part phase off the week prior. That lasted about two days and I went off completely. Over the next dozen days I ate like I had eaten for my entire adult life.

I put enough wait back on that it took me 3 weeks to get back on track. I didn't weigh myself at all during this break, which was most likely the key to my big mistake. Had I seen this weight coming back on so fast maybe I would have done something about it. Either way I know that I need to phase off the correct way and sit with the coaches to learn how to eat again.

This was a huge eye opener for me. At first I was really bummed out, but I jumped back on the IP wagon and dropped 75% of the weight gain in the first week. Either way I have given in to the fact that I need help when it comes time to learn how to eat the correct way, and any vacation in the future I will not be taking a vacation from eating healthy.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
This is where I royally screwed up on the diet so far. I had a week off in early July, so the coach had me start a two part phase off the week prior. That lasted about two days and I went off completely. Over the next dozen days I ate like I had eaten for my entire adult life.

I put enough wait back on that it took me 3 weeks to get back on track. I didn't weigh myself at all during this break, which was most likely the key to my big mistake. Had I seen this weight coming back on so fast maybe I would have done something about it. Either way I know that I need to phase off the correct way and sit with the coaches to learn how to eat again.

This was a huge eye opener for me. At first I was really bummed out, but I jumped back on the IP wagon and dropped 75% of the weight gain in the first week. Either way I have given in to the fact that I need help when it comes time to learn how to eat the correct way, and any vacation in the future I will not be taking a vacation from eating healthy.

Good luck. You can do this. Sounds like your head is different this time.
We recently (June) had a wonderful vacation with our adult kids and their families. Rented a beach house on Captiva island. I knew there would be wonderful meals lots of wine, beer and my husband's famous margaritas made from scratch with patron tequila and Cointreau. Mentally I also had it in my head I'd be ready to be done with IP and be partaking. Was at almost 50 lbs gone at that time and realized I was NOT ready to stop... Or lose ground.

Handled well and surprising myself actually ... By staying on plan as far as food goes but DID deviate from IP packet daily at lunch. There was always leftover grilled chicken, fish or steak and shrimp around. I did salads with leftovers... Avoided chips, salsa, cheese, crackers etc completely. Just got busy if I was tempted.. Went for a walk on the beach. Feeling thinner in my bathing suit helped a lot. Where I did deviate a bit was 2 glasses of champagne ... One the first night and again at the end.. And 2 mojitos ( with splenda) Stayed away from the wine and any thing with sugar/carbs. We had lemons, limes and lots of fizzy 0/0/0 water around and between bottled h20 and that I was always sipping something... In a wine goblet of course!

Lost 3 lbs!!!! Have been on a slow decline since returning home so am glad I stated OP. don't feel like I missed anything .. And am soon to be ready NOW to start phasing off.... And will be ready to get through the holidays with restraint and moderation...don't ever want anything to be all about food ... Ever. Again!!!!

Good luck.. You've come too far to get derailed for a week. Stay the course!!

Last edited by 65X65; 08-16-2013 at 06:50 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

My vote: stay the course. I am just in the midst of preparing for a ten day vacation and that's what I plan to do, too. Lots of San pellegrino and gerolsteiner (with a bit of stevia and lemon!)

Last edited by Annik; 08-16-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #5  

You will do what you set your mind to do. If you are already telling yourself you will cheat, then guess what will happen? Imagine what could happen if you make a plan for staying OP no matter what??? I had one vacation that my plan for worst-case scenario was that I could do a phase 2 day or two (two protein meals instead of one)

It was not needed on one vacation and I did it one day of a 4-day weekend a second time - but it was a way to stay on IP.

I had days on vacation that it worked better to split my protein
I sure ate lots of salads & spinach but I stayed OP! Every time I did, my resolve just became stronger to keep going!

We do what we set our minds to do.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #6  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

In my mind (or should I say now that I have lived 51 years) -- and speaking only for myself-- I see that life presents me with many opportunities to rationalise going off course. I really now want to learn how to manage myself in the long term to be responsible for my nutrition in every situation.

Maybe alcoholics need to do the same thing? I just know my body works better when I am clean of carbs and sugars. I want to keep it that way. Serve it as well as I can.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #7  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

There will always be vacations, birthdays, sporting events, holidays, rainy days, sunny days, etc. You can't lose your momentum every time one of these rolls around and expect to meet your goals.

"...without caving in to a treat or two." Every time I hear people refer to food as a "treat" I think of what someone posted not too long ago - "You aren't a dog. Quit rewarding yourself with food."

Stay strong -you can have a great vacation and enjoy the company and experience without going off plan. You can do this.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Just my 2 cents stay on plan!!! I think you have great momentum and this plan is working for you. That in itself is worth sticking to it, but the fact you have to go through the first week all over again, no way! Plan your vacation and plan your food and to stay OP. I agree with Lisa's thought maybe go to phase 2 if needed.
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #9  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

If you plan ahead it is not hard to stay OP on a vacation. I just kept telling myself that my "treat" would be seeing a good loss on the scale when I got home. It was very empowering for me to commit to staying OP on vacation, when I got home and I had lost 4.2 for the week- my biggest loss since week one- it was the best feeling.
You have to do what is right for you.
CrystalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 301/290/180

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
There will always be vacations, birthdays, sporting events, holidays, rainy days, sunny days, etc. You can't lose your momentum every time one of these rolls around and expect to meet your goals.

"...without caving in to a treat or two." Every time I hear people refer to food as a "treat" I think of what someone posted not too long ago - "You aren't a dog. Quit rewarding yourself with food."

Stay strong -you can have a great vacation and enjoy the company and experience without going off plan. You can do this.
I wish I could not just "Like" this, but LOVE this!! Incredible. What a great way to look at it. "You aren't a dog. Quit rewarding yourself with food."

I'm keeping this as a mantra.
ktgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #11  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

Thanks everyone. I am going to consider staying OP forsure now. I do not want to lose momentum thats forsure. However, just talking about learning how to eat the right way in the end on maintenance- how do we balance eating healthy for life with the "bad foods"? Just to be realistic, when I do meet my goal and phase off - there are going to be times when I will eat Mcdonalds, or have cake for a birthday. That is just life. Do I say to myself ok you can have cake or a fast food meal once a week? Once a month?

I know this is way down the road for me, but I think about it now and again.
jmanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #12  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

I would recommend staying on plan...at least Phase 2 or as close as possible. You are just getting started at WI 2. Your body is adjusting to your new way of eating and is really kicking into fat burning mode. If you go off plan for a week you'll kick yourself out of ketosis and add some weight. It will probably take you a couple of weeks to get back to your pre-vacation fat burning mode. It's like losing 3 weeks of fat burning...just not worth it IMHO.
cbl70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #13  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanovich View Post
Thanks everyone. I am going to consider staying OP forsure now. I do not want to lose momentum thats forsure. However, just talking about learning how to eat the right way in the end on maintenance- how do we balance eating healthy for life with the "bad foods"? Just to be realistic, when I do meet my goal and phase off - there are going to be times when I will eat Mcdonalds, or have cake for a birthday. That is just life. Do I say to myself ok you can have cake or a fast food meal once a week? Once a month?

I know this is way down the road for me, but I think about it now and again.
It's awesome that you're thinking about this now. I always thought that IP was "training for maintenance". Everyone needs to figure out for themselves what works. You will have McDonalds and Birthday cake...but 80-90% of the time you will eat much healthier in a way that works for you.
cbl70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #14  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

I say stay OP. It is great practice for maintenance down the road! We have to remember that IP isn't just a temporary diet, it's a lifestyle change to be followed forever.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Your Body is a Temple!

My first round of IP 2011, I stayed the course for 5 months through all kinds of celebration. I did once or twice eat phase II ( meat at lunch & dinner). You are so 'new" into IP, I fear going off may derail you.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote