Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Alison, I have often had this same thought. My advice is always to use whatever products you need to stick to phase 1. Walden farms are 0/0/0. My clinic sells them with IP.

In the end tracking your food is the best way to see if something is impacting your losses. But it takes more than a week for a trend!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #17  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucypenny View Post
I did not know that fat loss was a product of caloric burn in the body in relation to energy needs. Thats some crazy science and changes everything!
When I first started posting in the IP forums that fat loss was due to energy balance and not ketosis I was branded a heretic. Things have changed, people are better educated around here now.

Due to how the diet industry is built on mis-information and half truth a shocking number of people do not believe that eating fewer calories than one utilizes is how fat loss happens. Recently the devil became carbs and hormones. Today it is sugar. A few years ago fat was the culprit. Tomorrow it will be something else ... whatever sells books and gets website hits.

My point? It's not beyond belief that someone could read your post and think to themselves they need to up thier Cod intake. For the record, in hind sight, I admire your use of diction and dry humor. Go Cod!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 196- starting weight

Height: 5' 7"

Default Thanks guys!

Such well-rounded, thoughtful advice! Thanks so much for this! ( I hate to keep moving this up, but so want to say "thank you." This is my last time I promise. :-)
laloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #19  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
While fat loss requires an energy deficit, there are some positive aspects to ketosis, that other diets may not provide:
1. ketogenic diets suppress appetite, hence it is easier to maintain a large deficit
2. ketogenic diets alter hormone secretion and may counteract the hormonal adaptation to weight loss that leads to regains (hormones that encourage appetite and weight gain are often increased long-term after weight loss)
3. ketogenic diets in the presence of sufficient protein preserve muscle, while fat is lost
1) This varies quite a bit by the individual.

2) Any diet alters hormone secretion. Decrease calories, you decrease insulin. You lose fat, you increase insulin sensativity. As for how a PSMF diet alters adaptation and affects one's set point - at this point it is highly speculative but I agree some research suggests this.

3) Key words here - sufficient protein.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #20  

Don't forget there are other hormones at play besides insulin. Leptin and Cortisol, for instance.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

The reason people put the weight back on is generally that they stop paying attention to what they eat and revert back to how they ate before.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #22  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
The reason people put the weight back on is generally that they stop paying attention to what they eat and revert back to how they ate before.
This is correct. We're creatures of habit for sure.

I don't want to speak for Lolo but she may have been referring to set point theory - which essentially says that people have a difficult time getting below a certain weight even though they have changed their eating habits.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Momto2cs and JohnP

I just HATE when people talk about diets (such as IP) and embark on stories of people who "lost all that weight then gained it back, and then some." Come on Peeps, its NOT the diet's fault if you lose it and then gain it back. Its the dieter's fault for NOT taking the opportunity to change the behaviors that caused them to be overweight to begin with. Yes IP offers a 'quick fix' in Phase 1 - I am totally amazed by the speed at which folks on this board and in blogs are dropping the lbs, some (like me) who never had comparable success on any other plan. But unless you stick with it and learn how to nourish your body in a way that works by WORKING phases 2 through 4, you will likely gain it back. Who's fault would that be? Not IPs.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote