Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #16  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresac View Post
Greetings...I need the support of others who have been in my place an came back to succeed. I started the IP plan on February 18th. I am 100% faithful during waking hours, but get up and eat at night. Recently I have started to throw away ANYTHING that I get up and eat at night the next day. Every day is better, and I had my most faithful week ever last week. However, I look on these posts and feel like a failure!!! All of you report so much weight loss and I have not even lost an entire 10 pounds yet. I either lose or stay the same, but you alll know that the cost of this plan is high and I feel SO GUILTY about not being more successful. I have given myself until July 15 to reach my goal...which means I need to lose another 42 pounds. Should I just quit now and not invest the money or should I keep on it? I am already so dissapointed that I will start summmer without having reached my goal. I had such a solid plan. Any advice or encouragement would be MOST appreciated.
For one thing...I'm almost 150 lbs overweight so me losing ten lbs is not going to be nearly as difficult for me as it is for you. It is harder when you don't have as much to lose, I will probably be just as frustrated 100 lbs from now when the lbs are more stubborn. You need to do what's best for you, and while I'm not familiar with this particular plan, if it's making you this unhappy and you aren't reaching your goals maybe you should start over with something more suited to what you want to get out of this. We are all made different and lose and gain weight at our own pace and in our own way. There has been a time or two that I've felt like a failure watching my 5'2 100 lb sister down a double quarter pounder with a super-sized fry while my stomach growls munching on a carrot stick. But I've felt a lot better since I've stopped comparing myself to her.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #17  
HEALTHIER ME

S/C/G: 190/152/135

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresac View Post
Greetings...I need the support of others who have been in my place an came back to succeed. I started the IP plan on February 18th. I am 100% faithful during waking hours, but get up and eat at night. Recently I have started to throw away ANYTHING that I get up and eat at night the next day. Every day is better, and I had my most faithful week ever last week. However, I look on these posts and feel like a failure!!! All of you report so much weight loss and I have not even lost an entire 10 pounds yet. I either lose or stay the same, but you alll know that the cost of this plan is high and I feel SO GUILTY about not being more successful. I have given myself until July 15 to reach my goal...which means I need to lose another 42 pounds. Should I just quit now and not invest the money or should I keep on it? I am already so dissapointed that I will start summmer without having reached my goal. I had such a solid plan. Any advice or encouragement would be MOST appreciated.

Even if some of us is not a night eater, I could still say we can relate to you as I also struggled when I first started. But it's a good thing that you get rid some of the problems that you have, which is the foods you eat during the night. It will be quite difficult, but never get disappointed. Get back to your goal, and find stronger reasons to motivate yourself again. I know you can do it like mos of us here did
wangela87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

As I read your posts I recalled hearing of exactly what you are talking about... Nighttime eating while more or less asleep (slightly but not really awake.)

There is a REAL issue called Nighttime Eating Syndrome. It is actually a Sleep Disorder NOT an eating issue. It most often involves eating unusual (and highly caloric) foods (frozen butter sound familiar??)

I strongly suggest you look into it (I Googled "nighttime eating while sleeping" and tons came up.) As a sleep disorder it can be even evaluated by a sleep clinic. There ARE treatments that can get you on the right path so you can be productive and successful in your daytime "conscious" weight loss program.

Please let us know how you are doing, but don't drive yourself crazy doing it alone.

Laurie
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #19  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
As I read your posts I recalled hearing of exactly what you are talking about... Nighttime eating while more or less asleep (slightly but not really awake.)

There is a REAL issue called Nighttime Eating Syndrome. It is actually a Sleep Disorder NOT an eating issue. It most often involves eating unusual (and highly caloric) foods (frozen butter sound familiar??)

I strongly suggest you look into it (I Googled "nighttime eating while sleeping" and tons came up.) As a sleep disorder it can be even evaluated by a sleep clinic. There ARE treatments that can get you on the right path so you can be productive and successful in your daytime "conscious" weight loss program.

Please let us know how you are doing, but don't drive yourself crazy doing it alone.

Laurie
I agree with Laurie. I'd pursue resolving this as a sleep disorder and see if you can get treatment to resolve it. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up. You're really doing the best you can, and fighting really tough odds to lose weight - and you are losing!
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 153.8/142/120

Height: 5'0"

I had a close friend who did the same thing (sometimes on sleeping pills). There were times she would drive to my house and pick me up to get fresh donuts in the middle of the night. I had no idea she was semi-conscious. She was very healthy during the day but would find empty containers of icing next to her bed in the morning (even with a lock on the fridge to keep a toddler out). I agree with the recommendations regarding a sleep study of some kind. That being said, I also have dogs that occasionally need to be let out at night, usually if it was especially rainy or if my day ran extra long so they didn't get out enough before bedtime. I also have one that gets in and out of our bed all the time (near my head). If it truly interfered with my health, I would crate them at night (they have a lot of space to roam in the house during the day), but that is a very personal decision that only you can make - if necessary. Good luck with everything and hang in there.
Sansfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 213/188/163

Height: 5'5"

The professional night-eater can chime in! Yes, it's called Night Eating Syndrome and mostly it is caused by STRESS! I've had it for YEARS and that is how I gained most of my weight. So I read a book called Overcoming Night Eating Syndrome (by Albert J. Stunkard) AND good news...since I've started IP 2 months ago just last week it has stopped! Good news huh? I think being on a structured eating program helps. And sleep program. Being that all I buy now are vegetables and protein there isnt any snacking junk food in my house. So just protein, vegs, and packets. NOTHING ELSE! It will take time I'm sure but it gets better if you stick to it. Those damn brain chemicals! I hope you feel better and sleep. Please dont be ashamed or embarrassed. You can overcome it. You really can.
claygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #22  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree that you should do a sleep study to get to the bottom of this. You won't lose weight on this (or any) diet until this is controlled.

That said, I agree with those who say you should not keep the other foods in the house. One more suggestion: you may try having a protein snack before bed. Not sure if that will help, but it's worth a try.

Don't be hard on yourself. You've made the decision to tackle this issue and that's important. We're here to support you. But you'll need some professional help with this one.

joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/191/145

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post

Laurie
Thank you sooooo much! I quickly googled it and found some things I can try immediatley!!! I will give it a while to work and if not I have NO PROBLEM making an appiintment for a sleep evaluation! I cannot thank all of you enough for the support and kind words of wisdom! I feel more empowered every time I log on to this site!
teresac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
I agree with Laurie. I'd pursue resolving this as a sleep disorder and see if you can get treatment to resolve it. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up. You're really doing the best you can, and fighting really tough odds to lose weight - and you are losing!
Thank you so much for the encourgement!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claygirl View Post
The professional night-eater can chime in! Yes, it's called Night Eating Syndrome and mostly it is caused by STRESS! I've had it for YEARS and that is how I gained most of my weight. So I read a book called Overcoming Night Eating Syndrome (by Albert J. Stunkard) AND good news...since I've started IP 2 months ago just last week it has stopped! Good news huh? I think being on a structured eating program helps. And sleep program. Being that all I buy now are vegetables and protein there isnt any snacking junk food in my house. So just protein, vegs, and packets. NOTHING ELSE! It will take time I'm sure but it gets better if you stick to it. Those damn brain chemicals! I hope you feel better and sleep. Please dont be ashamed or embarrassed. You can overcome it. You really can.
Thakn you Claygirl!!!! I feel like I finally have people who understand!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Teresac - Please let us know what things you try and how they work. You can see the power of many is far greater than one person wandering alone.

We're here for you!!

Laurie
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote