Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #46  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviolets View Post
Does anyone have any problems with depression or mood swings? I'm thinking maybe it's the soy packets but this is just a guess. I've been on IP since Thanksgiving and lately I've had some really bad days where i don't want to get out of bed and cry a lot and then later in the day want to bite everyone's head off for no reason. Also my skin has been very irritable/itchy at night and sleep is restless. I'm 46 so it might just be perimenopause but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

Thanks for any input/help!
Denise
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW IP View Post
Yes! I've been super cranky the past couple of weeks, and it's starting to affect my relationship with DH. I just can't explain to him why I've been in such a bad mood. Maybe it is the soy; I never thought about that. I had been thinking it had to do with all the work I've been having to do in prepping and planning my meals. That can get exhausting! I need to start following the advice I've read on some of the other threads and spend an hour or so on the weekend to prep and plan for the week.

Hope you start to feel better!
Don't forget the estrogen that is stored in our fat that gets released as we lose weight...I'm pretty sure that's what caused my mood swings (and unpredictable TOM).
Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 232.2/ticker/132

Height: 5"4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I go through periods of hunger with IP, for sure when TOM is comming, and also just random weeks. Some tips to help out.

2 egg whites meet the 0/0/0 (only once per day), so use those to help when you are hungry. I usually keep a bunch of hard boiled eggs in my fridge to grab when I need them.

Make zuchini muffins from the packets. It is more filling that way, and you can split them up and eat them throughout the day.

Try to sleep more. I notice that I get super hungry after 9pm, so I usually go to bed at 9. (I get up at 5:30 am)

Drink hot tea/coffee when you are hungry. You'd be amazed how much this one helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I like using the oatmeal, but the IP one is restricted. I use an alternative one that isn't restricted. Check the recipe threads, because you should be able to use the shakes also.
Will do - thank you!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #48  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

One thing I have learned through my various diets is that it's all a head game. Yes, it's about food, but the bulk of it is getting your head in the right space to do what you need to do to stay on plan.

Now, I have always been able to do that for a short while, say four months. I stay focused, write everything down, exercise, lose lose lose (never as much as fast as I have on IP) and then one day, I can't do it any more.

That's what scares me. I have a ways to go and I will not be there when I hit four months on this diet. So, I am trying to head off the trouble this time because I know this is the diet that will finally get all the weight off if I can just win the head game.

Are there any tools or tips anybody can suggest that I can start to adopt now that will help me stay on track and focused when I get to that "i don't want to write this down/eat this/shake this up anymore" moment?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 174/174/125

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskuby View Post
My "coach" was just about as informed...that's why I went rogue! LOL I have 4 packs a day because she told me that I was losing lean muscle and I was starving (like angry hungry!) and until recently my weight loss has been great. Remember that you can have 2 egg whites and if you are using eggs instead of an extra pack, I would imagine you could have whole eggs rather than whites...I like to use 2 hard boiled egg whites with a bowl of lettuce and WF dressing when i need something extra....
I have 4 packets a day sometimes too because I start feeling low blood sugarish and get really hungry.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #50  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
One thing I have learned through my various diets is that it's all a head game. Yes, it's about food, but the bulk of it is getting your head in the right space to do what you need to do to stay on plan.

Now, I have always been able to do that for a short while, say four months. I stay focused, write everything down, exercise, lose lose lose (never as much as fast as I have on IP) and then one day, I can't do it any more.

That's what scares me. I have a ways to go and I will not be there when I hit four months on this diet. So, I am trying to head off the trouble this time because I know this is the diet that will finally get all the weight off if I can just win the head game.

Are there any tools or tips anybody can suggest that I can start to adopt now that will help me stay on track and focused when I get to that "i don't want to write this down/eat this/shake this up anymore" moment?
Write a letter to yourself about how you felt carrying the extra weight, why you want to lose it, and the things you will be able to do after you get to goal. If you ever feel like giving up, read the letter again.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post

Thanks so much for your response.

I still have my dinner with 6 to 8 ounces of lean meat, My coach has me adding the extra protien because I have been losing too much lean muscle and honestly I would rather not go with the extra packet because I haven't found that many that I can stand and the deli meat is so much more appetizing to me. I currently have Boar's Head oven roast turkey so the stats of that is 1g fat, 13g protein 0g carbs and 350mg sodium per 2 ounces and that's the serving size I have.

I am asking about the sodium here because she said I could have the deli meat a week ago without giving me any guide lines, but then at this weeks WI she told me the deli meat is the reason I didn't have much of a loss this week (This was my 5th week WI by the way, seems common from what I have read to have a slow week here), because its full of sugars and sodium. I had read the nutrition information carefully so I asked her what amount of sodium would be okay and she replied she did not know and I must use a packet instead. So I asked why she even said I could have the deli meat to begin with and she just stared at me.

I need extra protein that much is obvious because my lean muscle loss slowed to almost no extra this last week. So I just need to figure out how to get the extra protein while still being 100% OP. I am still very new to the program and just trying to understand how to maintain my lean muscles.
No problem! Actually, I was going to suggest Boar's Head turkey! I doubt that impacted your loss last week...many, many, many factors affect weight loss. Don't worry! Also, don't be afraid to add a hard-boiled egg if you need a little boost of extra protein!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
I'll trade you your flat butt for mine . . . it comes complete with a lovely shelf!!
LOL! We all want what we don't have, right? I've never had a flat butt and always thought it would be better than the big booty I have. I've always been curvy and know people who would trade just about anything for that. Some girls want straight hair, others want curly.
One of the preschool teachers I work with says this to her class when she is handing out items. I think it fits: "You get what you get and don't throw a fit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviolets View Post
Does anyone have any problems with depression or mood swings? I'm thinking maybe it's the soy packets but this is just a guess. I've been on IP since Thanksgiving and lately I've had some really bad days where i don't want to get out of bed and cry a lot and then later in the day want to bite everyone's head off for no reason. Also my skin has been very irritable/itchy at night and sleep is restless. I'm 46 so it might just be perimenopause but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.
Oh wow. It could be the estrogen being released. It could be the soy (I cut all soy protein in January...PM me if you need more info) OR it could be a medical issue like a thyroid gone awry (dry skin, tiredness, mood swings could all be symptoms). Mine did. Make an appt with your doc and have everything checked out, just to make sure all is well before you blame soy or perimenopause or before we just dismiss it as excess estrogen.

Quote:

I still have my dinner with 6 to 8 ounces of lean meat, My coach has me adding the extra protien because I have been losing too much lean muscle and honestly I would rather not go with the extra packet because I haven't found that many that I can stand and the deli meat is so much more appetizing to me. I currently have Boar's Head oven roast turkey so the stats of that is 1g fat, 13g protein 0g carbs and 350mg sodium per 2 ounces and that's the serving size I have.

I am asking about the sodium here because she said I could have the deli meat a week ago without giving me any guide lines, but then at this weeks WI she told me the deli meat is the reason I didn't have much of a loss this week (This was my 5th week WI by the way, seems common from what I have read to have a slow week here), because its full of sugars and sodium. I had read the nutrition information carefully so I asked her what amount of sodium would be okay and she replied she did not know and I must use a packet instead. So I asked why she even said I could have the deli meat to begin with and she just stared at me.

I need extra protein that much is obvious because my lean muscle loss slowed to almost no extra this last week. So I just need to figure out how to get the extra protein while still being 100% OP. I am still very new to the program and just trying to understand how to maintain my lean muscles.
UGH! How did she know you were losing muscle? Those scales give an estimate of lean MASS, but that is everything that isn't fat (water, bone, connective tissue, blood vessels, literally everything). When we lose fat, we EXPECT to lose some lean mass. It does not necessarily mean you are losing muscle. It would have to be a pretty high tech test (not just the scanner scale) to determine how much fat/muscle and you'd have to have a baseline to compare it to.

I agree with what others have said about deli meat & I'm sorry she said to do that & then reversed on you. Lots of sodium/sugar/need to read labels before buying there.

I really wouldn't worry about lean "muscle". The scanner scales aren't that accurate of a measure & so many coaches don't even know it. (Unless you've been through TWO tests (before and now) to really determine fat %.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post

You are exactly right. Success is all in your head. Am I reading that you are afraid of failure?

Aren't we all? Let's stick together and do this thing! I'm saying this right here & now: if I can do this ANYONE can. You & me. Stick together to the end and into maintenance. We got this.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 247/239/170

quick question...

Is butternut squash okay for a vegtable??? I use to love it then i found it at my super market cut up already. Just wondering if this is okay for a vegtable?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberMae View Post
quick question...

Is butternut squash okay for a vegtable??? I use to love it then i found it at my super market cut up already. Just wondering if this is okay for a vegtable?

Thanks everyone!!
Sorry darlin'. Too high in carbs. It's on the "no no" list
You love it b/c it is SWEET!
Only Zucchini and crooked neck yellow summer squash
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #55  
Started IP 10/18/12

S/C/G: 286/Ticker/170

Height: 5'11"

Hey all!!
This is my first week back OP after being off IP for a couple months over the holidays. I found that my life was way too hectic to keep up during the past couple of months ... So, all that matters is I am back on it!!

I maintained pretty much the first 15 I lost a few months ago, so I am very happy about that. So now it is time to get rid of the rest forever!!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #56  
Restart 3/1/15

S/C/G: 307.4/270/200

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I haven't been on the boards as much as I like. I have noticed that if I don't religiously read the boards daily even if I don't post I feel myself wanting to slip off. Think I am just frustrated that I have not reached the 40lb mark. Tomorrow is weigh in so hoping for any loss. My coach thinks it may be my body just adjusting to what I have loss so far. Thank you too all those that do post because by reading the posts this seems to make me accountable.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #57  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Thanks for all the help IP buddies :hugs:

I agree that just reading helps mentally to keep me focused on the good this plan is doing for me. This is the longest I have ever stayed on a diet before and while I was worried at first about failure, now I am starting to get really excited for the future.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #58  
Started IP 1/12/13

S/C/G: 267/ticker/167

Height: 5'5

Mood swings and sadness can also be caused by the low amount of carbs your consumming. Carbs actually assist in one of the "happy chemicals" seratonin maybe??? Anyway don't let it get out of control, see you Dr if your not feeling more like your old self soon.
When I went through a few sad weeks my husband suggested it might be from breaking up with my best friend "food" it was my comfort I think he was on to something..which is amazing as I don't usually describe him as very astute when it come to stuff like that!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 219/Start IP at 206/172/135

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Quote:
Thanks for all the help IP buddies :hugs:

I agree that just reading helps mentally to keep me focused on the good this plan is doing for me. This is the longest I have ever stayed on a diet before and while I was worried at first about failure, now I am starting to get really excited for the future.
DITTO very well said. I could not agree more.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Thank you

Thanks for your input. I need to get some blood work done. Something doesn't feel right and I better check out. Thanks again!
Closed Thread