Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #16  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
At Costco's they don't have a dressing room but even if they did I am intimidated by fitting room mirrors..I do not have a Full Length Mirror in our house even though my teenage daughter keeps asking for one and I know I will eventually give in...just not in my Bathroom!
I still really don't like to look at myself in the mirror...and to be truthful I never have even when I slimmer.
Being short makes clothes shopping challenging cuz sometimes the proportions are just not right .I have purchased a short that can vary in length by a couple of inches and I don't want to do alterations.
I wish I could grow a couple inches cuz being short causes all your weight to show easily!
Thanks everyone for your input,
Roo2
I hear you. I am short too, and nothing fits right. Shorts/petites are too short, and regular sizes are too long. SO...I mostly wear dresses. Of course, that means I don't notice when I've gained 20 lbs, because nothing is squeezing the middle of my apple shape.

I have also always hated looking in the mirror. I do have a full-length mirror, but I have trained myself to never look at the full shape -- just at how my legs look or whether my shoes match my dress. Never do my eyes linger on my torso, arms, or face.

We should probably work on that, huh?
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post

I predominately shop at Cold Water Creek and I have purchased the same top in different colors and the large was either huge or too small. I take it back and complain. Finally, after multiple complaints, a manager confided the problem to me. Sometimes the sizing is correct, so I stick with them, but it is truly damaging most companies reputations around the world (not just a US problem).
Before I got to your post I was already thinking Goldwater Creek.When I was heavier they were a godsend because being short and wide has a unique set of problems. But they had quality clothes; the same things in a wide variety of sizes.
As I am in Canada I always had to shop online and had to be pretty sure the size was consistent because of the huge cost of postage to send it back.

I have had to stop shopping there now because there is no way you can depend on what the size is no matter what the size is on the label.

Most people would pick a particular type of style in pants and stick with it knowing what fits them best. But the reviews on their site are all saying that the materials are not the same anymore, they are inferior to what they were even a year ago. This too changes the standard size.

So that is my off topic rant but I don't think "vanity"sizes is the issue. It is inconsistency in sizing all across the board. I hate to lose my favorite source of quality clothing but for the reasons you gave they must be losing customers in droves. I also noticed people say they don't offer petite sizes in the stores anymore, you have to order them on line.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyainva View Post
Roo2 we are the same height. I am at 123, looking to get to 118. I have twin teenage daughters my height.

One thing I am learning is that I cannot compare myself to them.

I do understand what you mean by vanity sizing, clothes are manufactured all over the world, no way to enforce true sizing.

I can tell you at 123 I am wearing size 00 from J Crew and they are tight. 0's are a great fit. But I cannot wear a bikini, have love handles and a belly. I am an apple.

I think you are truly skinny and your mind has not caught up with your weight loss.

I ordered something online in a size 2 only to realize for that outfit I need a size 8!
Excellent points!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #19  

Quote:
At Costco's they don't have a dressing room but even if they did I am intimidated by fitting room mirrors..I do not have a Full Length Mirror in our house even though my teenage daughter keeps asking for one and I know I will eventually give in...just not in my Bathroom!
I still really don't like to look at myself in the mirror...and to be truthful I never have even when I slimmer.
Being short makes clothes shopping challenging cuz sometimes the proportions are just not right .I have purchased a short that can vary in length by a couple of inches and I don't want to do alterations.
I wish I could grow a couple inches cuz being short causes all your weight to show easily!
Thanks everyone for your input,
Roo2

I really think you need that mirror. At your weight and heigt you should actually be quite slim.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #20  

You might want to google it because vanity sizing is real. I have a beautiful cashmere sweater that my mom kept from the 50's it is a size 8. It is no where near a size 8 in stores today. Yes, the average is up 2 sizes in the past 25 years from what the article I read said. It is very frustrating when you try to rush in and pick something up but have to stop and try on first. Did that yesterday in Target. Bought a size 14 in one pair of pants and an 18 in another Really?? I am getting used to how i look now so I am not so size conscious anymore.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Before I got to your post I was already thinking Goldwater Creek.When I was heavier they were a godsend because being short and wide has a unique set of problems. But they had quality clothes; the same things in a wide variety of sizes.
As I am in Canada I always had to shop online and had to be pretty sure the size was consistent because of the huge cost of postage to send it back.

I have had to stop shopping there now because there is no way you can depend on what the size is no matter what the size is on the label.

Most people would pick a particular type of style in pants and stick with it knowing what fits them best. But the reviews on their site are all saying that the materials are not the same anymore, they are inferior to what they were even a year ago. This too changes the standard size.

So that is my off topic rant but I don't think "vanity"sizes is the issue. It is inconsistency in sizing all across the board. I hate to lose my favorite source of quality clothing but for the reasons you gave they must be losing customers in droves. I also noticed people say they don't offer petite sizes in the stores anymore, you have to order them on line.

Pat
Hi Pat,
They did stop carrying petites in the store-petite shopping has free shipping (for US, not sure about Canada). The quality depends on where the clothing was made. I still find great pieces there, but overall, it is not what it used to be. Sad, because the petite size fits me perfectly-the only store where I can buy petite pants off the rack and wear them. Everything else goes to the seamstress.

Talk about vanity sizing-I am 5'1" and 189 pounds right now and I wear a petite 10 at Coldwater Creek. My mom wore a size 10 in the 1980s at 5'4" and 140 pounds. Yes, it has changed a lot!

Last edited by WorldTraveleronIP; 02-05-2013 at 12:11 AM.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #22  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

There's a whole back story behind how this first started.

YSL (Yves St. Laurent) revealed in the 90's that he actually made his clothes larger than the tag size so women would shop more for his clothing. It was definitely a marketing ploy. But then he came up with a 'couture' sizing which was actual runway sizing. It's also more expensive fashion too. But many followed in his footsteps because of the massive success of his sales.

Levi's has many different fits (501, 502, etc). so anything Costco carries is not going to have those different lines, usually just one fit in particular.

There are many brands out there that will actually take your measurements and create jeans for you. It is a take expensive to customize but these are high quality jeans that you will have for a long time.

My favorite brands that fit like a glove is Kut from the Kloth and XCVI. True to form, American made clothing that is fun and fashionable, more modern and offers a lot of different styles. I can usually find them at Nordstrom or Nordstrom's Rack, even small boutiques and sometimes Ross/Marshalls/TJMaxx will have pieces too.

Here are links to the sites so you can check out their latest lookbook:

www.xcvi.xom
http://www.kutfromthekloth.com/
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #23  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
I am a Costco girl and they had Levi Jeans there so I bought some.
I picked up a size 2 for my teenager who is petite and skinny ...they were huge on her and she told me mom they should fit you ,well they did ... I had a little bit of room in the waist. Clothes are not true to size and I know there is no way I'm a size 2 and I have the belly to prove it .
I wish the clothing industry would standardize sizes and would make it so much easier to shop.
I don't care what the tag size says as long as it truly fits.
I know I'm losing weight but really I have a teenage girl so I know what skinny looks like ...and it definitely Not Me!
Tired of buying clothes that don't fit! It's hard enough shopping when your short but this is making it even harder
I don't want to spend an arm and leg for clothes either so I refuse to shop specialty stores ,plus I wear Scrubs at work so I just need clothes to wear when I'm off work.

Good Luck to everyone may we all achieve the goals we strive for in life
Roo2

I think your problem is that thinking a modern size 2 is tiny. It really isn't. According to the Levis size chart a size 2 fits a waist of 26 to 27 inches and hips 35 to 37 inches. It's small but not miniscule. So it's no surprise it fit you with room to spare at 118 pounds.

At your height and weight you could probably fit a 0.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #24  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNinerGirl View Post
There's a whole back story behind how this first started.
Good post! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
I think your problem is that thinking a modern size 2 is tiny. It really isn't. According to the Levis size chart a size 2 fits a waist of 26 to 27 inches and hips 35 to 37 inches. It's small but not miniscule. So it's no surprise it fit you with room to spare at 118 pounds.

At your height and weight you could probably fit a 0.
That just is amazing to me. At my smallest, I had those figures, but I'm 5'7.5" and there is no way I should ever be able to fit into a size 2. My bone structure just should not fit into those smaller sizes. The smallest adult size I ever wore was size 6/8.

I also remember when I was a teenager (weight issues then too), I was amazed that my stick thin aunt had a dress from like the 60's or something that was a size 14. I was a size 14 and I was overweight, how in the world could that really thin woman wear a 14 also? That was my first clue into how sizing had changed.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote