Old 06-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I was told on several occasions by people who have come out to our house from the Septic company that they KNOW for a fact that most of the basic all-in-one vitamins people take (One-a-Day. Centrum, etc) are NOT absorbed into the body. How do THEY know? They know because septic systems are laden with them as they pass right through the body almost unchanged!

I have also heard the same thing from doctors.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #17  
Restart IP 05/19/14

S/C/G: 370/349/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I was told on several occasions by people who have come out to our house from the Septic company that they KNOW for a fact that most of the basic all-in-one vitamins people take (One-a-Day. Centrum, etc) are NOT absorbed into the body. How do THEY know? They know because septic systems are laden with them as they pass right through the body almost unchanged!

I have also heard the same thing from doctors.

Sorry, but there is no way in the world I would rely on any medical information provided by a septic tank employee. There is absolutely no way for them to "KNOW for a fact" anything about what vitamins people absorb. It's a bit creepy to picture them sifting through years old septic tank contents examining for vitamins. Ewww.....

Last edited by mylastdiet; 06-10-2013 at 08:19 AM.
mylastdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #18  
Becky

Height: 5'4

when I was in phase 1, I ended up in emergency room with low potassium because I was not taking my IP potassium.
beckyjwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #19  
Started IP Oct 14 2012

S/C/G: 236/169/150

Height: 5'6

Supplements are EXTREMELY necessary!

With the help of my health practitioner, I was able to substitute my supplements early in the program. However, I was advised to continue using the Natura Potassium because it was just the best option.

Below I have shared the supplements I use:
Multivita -> One-A-Day Women's (Walmart)
CalMag -> Nature's Bounty Calcium Magnesium

Additional supplements that my doctor recommended I take include:
GNC Omega 3
Nature's Bounty Biotine (Hair)
Lorna Vanderhaeghe™ Collagen Plus OR GNC Women's Collagen (Aid in smoothing and tightening skin)

I hope this helps
EllyElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #20  
4/15/13

S/C/G: 232.4/TTT/160

Height: 5'9"

I don't know if they have Jamiesons Vitamins in the states but I believe this would be comparable to the CAL-MAG
http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/node/20
accgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Height: 5'5"

Scorbett....How do you still get IP supplements without seeing a coach? All the sites I used to buy from don't sell true IP supplements anymore. Can you share a link??

Thanks!
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 221/181/175

Height: 5'10

One more "substitution" here.
I discontinued the Omega from IP due to the fact that I take 2 capsules, twice daily of Lovaza.

A compromise I had made with my Dr. prior to IP had me take this vs other stuff like Crestor/Lipitor since those give me muscle pain and weakness.

I don't want to be anywhere near Lipitor/Crestor or its friends when trying to do any sort of physical activity.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/20...a-vs-fish-oil/

While this is more expensive than even the IP fish oil, it is a little more concentrated and should make your MD and your coach happy.

My Triglycerides are kicking @ 90 right now, so I am happy with this even though it is still a pretty hefty copay. Once I am in maintenance and am pretty confident in my weight mgmt, I may try switching to an OTC Fish oil and ditch the Lovaza under my Dr.s guidance.
IPguy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #23  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylastdiet View Post
Sorry, but there is no way in the world I would rely on any medical information provided by a septic tank employee. There is absolutely no way for them to "KNOW for a fact" anything about what vitamins people absorb. It's a bit creepy to picture them sifting through years old septic tank contents examining for vitamins. Ewww.....
Those folks "know for a fact" because they pump the stuff out, and things like undigested vitamins clog up the works. Waste is also processed once it is pumped out so there is evidence there too. It's fairly well known that a lot of the vitamins we take (particularly OTC stuff that is full of fillers) aren't really fully absorbed by the body. That, or because we are self-medicating we end up over-taking vitamins (particularly B and C) which just turns into expensive pee. That's why it's so important to 1) choose good vitamins with bioavailable versions of nutrients, and 2) be extremely educated or work with a health care professional on the right combination of supplements in the right doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchawittygal View Post
Scorbett....How do you still get IP supplements without seeing a coach? All the sites I used to buy from don't sell true IP supplements anymore. Can you share a link??

Thanks!
I actually stopped using IP vitamins, now that I'm in maintenance I am eating a fully balanced diet and only take the supplements my doctor has recommended based on my bloodwork. Wish i could be of more help!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote