Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #16  
Rob

Default Re 4 cups of veggies per day

I don't understand the limit on the veggies. Seems like someone on a loss program would benefit from eating more or unlimited fruit and veggies with the only limits being placed on meat/protein?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I don't understand the limit on the veggies. Seems like someone on a loss program would benefit from eating more or unlimited fruit and veggies with the only limits being placed on meat/protein?
Fruit has too much sugar and therefore isn't allowed on IP. As scorbett said - there is a reason for the limit on veggies and the kind of veggies and it works.
before I went on IP I was seeing a nutritionist. She limited my fruit to, at the most, one a day due to the sugar. All I can say is it works as written. There is a ton of research that has gone into it and a lot of doctors who recommend it. No, the doctors aren't selling the IP or at least the 3 that I have seen. (Im sure that there are doctors who are part of the IP program and sell it!)
Im sur eothers can explain it better but that is my "Readers Digest" edition!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #18  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
On a conventional diet like Weight Watchers that is true. This is NOT a conventional diet. It is a ketogenic diet, as well as a diet that balances the body's pH to the acidic side when we are in the weight loss phase. The protein is high intentionally, as are the measured veggies. Many veggies are acidic in nature (referring to the way they react in the body, not acidic like citrus). Too much acid-creating veggies throw the pH of the diet off. Again, there are 25 years of research behind the chemistry to this diet. Just follow your sheet
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #19  

I continue to learn new things from this forum - thank you all for that! My coach does IP as a side job (after her full-time job as a nurse) and she didn't explain several things to me the way they've been shared here (like when to take the supplements).

One thing she told me, though, was that celery is also unlimited, like lettuce. Does anyone know anything to the contrary about celery? I bring celery to work with me every day as an extra snack.
SassyGirl424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 206/162/160

Height: 5'9"

Thank you again for all the answers. I will be back asking one more questions. This is my second week and find that I am already struggling with the choices.

Already have another question:

The past few days very hungry. What can I do to help with this?
frd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd2all View Post
Thank you again for all the answers. I will be back asking one more questions. This is my second week and find that I am already struggling with the choices.

Already have another question:

The past few days very hungry. What can I do to help with this?
The hunger will come and go. I had it for a while but was determined to get through it. The first few weeks are a little tough because it is such an adjustment. I would recommend planning ahead. That way you have variety in your eating and your packets. You will get used to it and now it seems easy for me. I make my lunches for the week on Sunday - doing purees etc. If there is something that I need to change during the week then I just change it but I have everything prepared. I keep a choc drink mix at my desk in case whatever I bring for my mid morning snack in case its a choc . kind of day for me.
Look at the recipe and puree threads because you can get some really good ideas from them. I first thought that IP was very limiting but I have discovered that is not the case and now its become sort of a way of life for me. And yes, I NEVER would have guessed I would say that the day I started IP!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

I'm one of the bad girls that has never measured. For me, this diet is about making long term changes. I've known from the get go that I could not measure food for the rest of my life. I know this goes against what others do, and I'm okay with that. My losses have been fine eating my extra veggies, but they may not be for some. I'd experiment on your own and see if it affects your weight loss. If you don't want to risk it, just stick to the 4 cups daily.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #23  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I always measured my veggies & protein in Phase 1-3, but i am loving the unlimited veggies in Phase 4!
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 240/175/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd2all View Post
Is it ok to eat more than the 4 cups of veggies allowed in a day?
Not unless it is lettuce. You can have as much lettuce as you want...
SnowStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #25  

Quote:
Yes and No...depending on the weight loss program you follow. The ideal protein diet is definitely successful if you follow the protocol. One of the greatest advantages of IP (Ideal Protein) is the program will teach your body how to process foods more effectively for a healthier you. You will eventually be able to eat fruits once at goal. Fruits have a lot of sugar and that is elimated in the 1st Phase. I believe historically we have all been taught fruits and vegetables are healthy for you. This is true to some aspect, just not while trying to lose unwanted pounds.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 144.4 /136.6 /103-105

Height: 4' 11"

I weigh and measure everything (meats and veggies). I do miss my fruit!! And today hubs came home with Doughnuts!!! Now he knows better , or you think he would ...But I opened a chocolate drink, mixed it and dreamed it was my doughnuts !!! Uggggggg!! Thank goodness for willpower and wanting to see numbers go down next week !
byugrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #27  

Default Making Progress

Down 65 pounds and making progress......but the holidays are challenging with all the many foods brought in at work and invitations to gatherings. I have been declining participation in office events and gatherings just because there is nothing but snack foods not allowed.

Here is my so far...total transformation and hope to continue!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Total Transformation!.pdf (342.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by SnowStar; 11-24-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Adding a Signature - hoping it works.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #28  

snowstar you look great! you are a motivator and proof that IP works if you work it
Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #29  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
you seem to have several questions about the why's of the IP diet. There's stickies at the top of this forum with a lot of info and you can always check the IP webpage.
there are no fruits on the first phase of this diet. the pdf of the diet explains why.
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #30  
Rob

Got that - thanks all. It's correct, I have not read up on the IP system. And I see from one or more of the replies that in later phases, participants may gradually transition to more of a maintenance level where fruit and veggies are less restricted or not restricted. Thanks
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote