Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280.2/205.2/180

Height: 5'10

Default No Excuses - one woman's journey

First off…wuv2bloved is my hero. I have never interacted with her but her spirit is unrivaled and I look up to her more than she will ever know. I come on this site at least once a day. I often see posts of IP’ers struggling with staying 100% OP. It’s a commitment without a doubt that you have to be ready to make in order to be successful at it. There really are no excuses when it comes down to it…I truly and whole heartedly believe this.

What I want to share is this……we all gain weight for different reasons…but at the center of why we gain as much weight as we do…….. isn’t because we want to be fat…none of us wants to be obese…..I can speak for myself when I say for the last 20 years…I was more concerned with my career and dealing with life rather than taking care of myself. I don’t think I knew how to take care of myself or realized I was worth taking care of. I don’t mean brushing my teeth or taking a shower or even paying bills…what I am talking about is realizing I am worth more than anything else in this world to ME.

Let me say I don’t have children and I am sure if I did they would probably mean more than myself…I completely understand how people think that. But what is more important is that you care enough to address your health – if not for yourself…for your kids or whomever else you love. Being obese is so hard on one’s body physically. Walking, climbing stairs…even just standing can be a chore and exhausting. None of us wants this…..so we all start on our endless attempts of trying diet after diet. For some of us it’s been a life long struggle.

I am a 5’10” 41 year woman. I was an athlete when I was younger….after college…I got caught up in life and went from being a 5’10” 170lb athlete to 5’10” 280lb career woman. I knew my weight was an issue but because I was tall I was able to carry a lot of weight. I have fluctuated up and down 40lbs in the last 20 years…but never really got under 240 for the last 15 years. I even ran a half marathon at 240lbs 3 years ago. I had come to terms with the fact I was a big girl. One day I broke down and said to myself this was it….I am never going to be happy at this size but what I really was saying was that it was time to take care of ME.

I started this program on July 26th 2012. It’s been about 20 weeks now and I have stayed 100% OP. For the last 6 weeks however…due to the costs associated with the food…I have been using alternative EAS Advantage Protein Drinks instead of the RTD IP protein drinks. I follow the program to the letter because it works. It has resulted in a weight loss even if just .2lbs...every week. I have lost a total of 59.4lbs so far and it my friends…………. has not been easy……Oh God has it been hard work. No Excuses...

I have 40lbs left to go and they will probably be the hardest lbs to lose but honestly….my point of view is that the weight is just a side effect of my taking care of myself. You know I was recently at a party and an acquaintance of mine came up to me and said “Michelle, you look radiant and so confident”. My reply back to her was “Thanks so much! You know…. I think people can tell when you start taking care of yourself”.

I am taking care of myself….if not for my children…for my nieces and nephews who I adore with all of my heart. I want to them to have an Aunt who cares enough to be around for a while

Good luck to all of you on your journey. It may be a long and hard journey at that….but nothing worth having was easy was it?

Last edited by mishy226; 11-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.
mishy226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Very well said! YOU are the ONLY YOU that YOU have so take care of YOU. Once we realize that WE have to take care of ourselves no one else will do it for us it becomes a little easier. You will lose those 40lbs quicker than you think, stay true to yourself and in the program and you will be there in no time.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #4  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for your insightful post, and congrats and losing 60 lbs so far. You've got the right mindset and determination to lose those that 40 before you know it!
stargirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280.2/205.2/180

Height: 5'10

You are an inspiration! Thank you!
mishy226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishy226 View Post

What I want to share is this……we all gain weight for different reasons…but at the center of why we gain as much weight as we do…….. isn’t because we want to be fat…none of us wants to be obese…..I can speak for myself when I say for the last 20 years…I was more concerned with my career and dealing with life rather than taking care of myself. I don’t think I knew how to take care of myself or realized I was worth taking care of. I don’t mean brushing my teeth or taking a shower or even paying bills…what I am talking about is realizing I am worth more than anything else in this world to ME.
I completely understand what you are saying here. That was the conversation I had to have with myself, I put myself through nursing, got married, moved 3 times for my career, bought my first house all by the age of 26. I was always able to do whatever I put my mind too and it was time to take care of me not just everyone else. It is so nice to know there are others who have felt this way and are doing it to.
MonicaKolesnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #7  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Mishy226 - Thank you for being so honest and candid. I enjoy reading about others journeys because we can always find parts that link us all together.

My husband and I don't have any children either. I have often thought that we really need to take care of ourselves and plan appropriately for our future and retirement because we don't have any children who can take care of us when we are elderly. A burden that I wouldn't want to put on my children even if we had them. However, there are no guarantees in life. My Aunt who had 2 sons, lost them both to a tragic car accident when they were in their 20's.

So, I agree with you............... We want to be around a long time enjoying a healthy life with our nieces and nephews (and family), but most of all we don't want to be a burden to them (or any other loved one) later in life with heart disease, diabetes, poor mobility, etc. - all from not being willing to put ourselves first now. Thanks for the wonderful post! Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote