Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #1  
Started IP 11/11/12

S/C/G: 201/189/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Newbie advice needed from IP guru’s :-)

Hi all, IP Newbie here (after spending way too many hours reading thru the IP threads) I’m ready to take the plunge! I’ll be going 100% IP (as soon as I get my products), but with no coach. I have scoured thru the IP threads, but some of the information is conflicting within the various threads and/or vs Dr Tran’s site - I’d appreciate clarification.

1) Phase 1: till 80%, 90%, 100% of goal?
2) Olive Oil: 2 TBSP or 2 tsp?
3) I have kidney stones, some recommend to only take ½ the recommended cal/mag supplements, any other advice?
4) Hair loss prevention:
a. Can I take flaxseed oil (maybe count as some of the olive oil)?
b. I’ve heard biotin is good, is this ok on phase 1?
5) Preventing muscle loss:
a. No exercise vs light exercise plus extra protein packet after 3 weeks?
b. Some mention they had stalls and their coaches informed them they had muscle loss, how can I measure/track this?
Thanks!

Last edited by np2lose; 11-02-2012 at 03:09 AM.
np2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2lose View Post
Hi all, IP Newbie here (after spending way too many hours reading thru the IP threads) I’m ready to take the plunge! I’ll be going 100% IP (as soon as I get my products), but with no coach. I have scoured thru the IP threads, but some of the information is conflicting within the various threads and/or vs Dr Tran’s site - I’d appreciate clarification.

Protocols have changed over the years. Officially, current protocol is Phase 1 for 100%, which I at first balked at but after 3 months, I'm fine with!
2) Olive Oil: 2 TBSP or 2 tsp? teaspoons
3) I have kidney stones, some recommend to only take ½ the recommended cal/mag supplements, any other advice? check with your DOCTOR!!!
4) Hair loss prevention:
a. Can I take flaxseed oil (maybe count as some of the olive oil)?Use the Omega 3s from IP.
b. I’ve heard biotin is good, is this ok on phase 1? You can.
Hair loss varies per person. I had more problem when I did Atkins in 2002-03 than I'm having with IP, and Atkins is a MUCH higher fat program. So go figure If you read, you'll see it sometimes happens with low carb programs but it is temporary. Be sure to get all your fat every day b/c that can contribute to it, from what I understand.

5) Preventing muscle loss: The whole point of balancing the protein is to prevent muscle loss. If you've done your reading, then you know this program was started for elite athletes.
a. No exercise vs light exercise plus extra protein packet after 3 weeks? Just do light exercise if you already are.
b. Some mention they had stalls and their coaches informed them they had muscle loss, how can I measure/track this? Anything you tried would be a guesstimate, as it was by the coach. Coaches have scales that measure weight, lean body mass, BMI, hydration. But lean body mass is not just muscle. It is skin, connective tissue, blood & blood vessles, basically everything that isn't fat.
I took a shot first, although there are "gurus" who have been around much longer than my measly 3 months! LizRR has recently hit goal. Hopefully she'll chime in if she sees this. Others are more active b/c they are still in P1

Yes, there is some conflict with Dr. Tran's site. He developed the program and it is based on him but IP business doesn't match exactly. And everyone changes, based upon new information they learn. Perhaps he has chosen not to update his own website

The biggest part of the plan is the food. Weight loss is in the kitchen. Fitness is in the gym. If you want to lose weight and you have a lot to lose, this is a great plan. Get the weight off (or closer to goal) and THEN ramp up fitness. This program CAN be overthought. Don't overthink. It is on the sheet. It is all already thought out for you. There are some pretty smart cookies already doing it.

Why no coach? If you're outside of an IP area, Ideal to Go offers online coaches

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-02-2012 at 06:10 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2lose View Post

2) Olive Oil: 2 TBSP or 2 tsp?
3) I have kidney stones, some recommend to only take ½ the recommended cal/mag supplements, any other advice?
4) Hair loss prevention:
a. Can I take flaxseed oil (maybe count as some of the olive oil)?
b. I’ve heard biotin is good, is this ok on phase 1?
5) Preventing muscle loss:
a. No exercise vs light exercise plus extra protein packet after 3 weeks?
b. Some mention they had stalls and their coaches informed them they had muscle loss, how can I measure/track this?
Thanks!
I'll do my best

1. The most recent Phase 1 sheet (updated this past June) says 100% to goal. I think the initial reasoning was that you do continue to lose in Phase 2, but it is also common to see a small gain in P3 or the beginning of P4.

2. It is 1-2 TEASPOONS of oil every day. You can use Olive or grapeseed oil.

3. You should discuss that with your doctor, and give them info on the diet before you start - IP (and any high protein diet) is going to put some strain on your liver and kidneys just by its nature. You will not be getting your calcium or magnesium from other food sources while on this diet, so be very careful about omitting the supplements - but you also don't want to make something worse in the name of weight loss.

4. Many of us use Biotin supplements to reduce the hair loss, I also have a thyroid condition that makes me lose hair and I've taken Biotin since before starting IP. You cannot use Flaxseed oil in place of the olive oil. You can also take any over-the-counter Omega 3 supplement.

5. The diet was originally designed for the French Ballet and the Olympic team, to allow them to TRULY rest in the off season and maintain their lean muscle mass. The weight loss aspect was just a bonus for those who needed it If you were big on exercise before IP, after the first few weeks there's no reason you can't go back to it at lower intensity and just add a packet 1/2 hr after finishing - just remember that it won't speed the process along and you'll know if you pushed too hard because your muscles will retain water and you may see a stall in your losses.

RE: Measuring muscle loss - this is a tricky one. You ARE going to lose some lean muscle mass (we lose 1lb for every 4lb of actual weight lost) - but that includes connective tissue, basically anything in your body that isn't bone. The Body Composition scales that are commercially available are OK for tracking TRENDS - but they aren't truly accurate measures of lean muscle mass. They calculate lean muscle mass based on their "reading" of body fat % - which can be VERY inaccurate.

Hope that helps a bit!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #4  
Started IP 11/11/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I took a shot first, although there are "gurus" who have been around much longer than my measly 3 months! LizRR has recently hit goal. Hopefully she'll chime in if she sees this. Others are more active b/c they are still in P1

Yes, there is some conflict with Dr. Tran's site. He developed the program and it is based on him but IP business doesn't match exactly. And everyone changes, based upon new information they learn. Perhaps he has chosen not to update his own website

The biggest part of the plan is the food. Weight loss is in the kitchen. Fitness is in the gym. If you want to lose weight and you have a lot to lose, this is a great plan. Get the weight off (or closer to goal) and THEN ramp up fitness. This program CAN be overthought. Don't overthink. It is on the sheet. It is all already thought out for you. There are some pretty smart cookies already doing it.

Why no coach? If you're outside of an IP area, Ideal to Go offers online coaches
Thanks for the info Lisa. I'm not working right now and the only clinic in my area is too pricey for me right now
Old 11-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #5  
Started IP 11/11/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I'll do my best

1. The most recent Phase 1 sheet (updated this past June) says 100% to goal. I think the initial reasoning was that you do continue to lose in Phase 2, but it is also common to see a small gain in P3 or the beginning of P4.

2. It is 1-2 TEASPOONS of oil every day. You can use Olive or grapeseed oil.

3. You should discuss that with your doctor, and give them info on the diet before you start - IP (and any high protein diet) is going to put some strain on your liver and kidneys just by its nature. You will not be getting your calcium or magnesium from other food sources while on this diet, so be very careful about omitting the supplements - but you also don't want to make something worse in the name of weight loss.

4. Many of us use Biotin supplements to reduce the hair loss, I also have a thyroid condition that makes me lose hair and I've taken Biotin since before starting IP. You cannot use Flaxseed oil in place of the olive oil. You can also take any over-the-counter Omega 3 supplement.

5. The diet was originally designed for the French Ballet and the Olympic team, to allow them to TRULY rest in the off season and maintain their lean muscle mass. The weight loss aspect was just a bonus for those who needed it If you were big on exercise before IP, after the first few weeks there's no reason you can't go back to it at lower intensity and just add a packet 1/2 hr after finishing - just remember that it won't speed the process along and you'll know if you pushed too hard because your muscles will retain water and you may see a stall in your losses.

RE: Measuring muscle loss - this is a tricky one. You ARE going to lose some lean muscle mass (we lose 1lb for every 4lb of actual weight lost) - but that includes connective tissue, basically anything in your body that isn't bone. The Body Composition scales that are commercially available are OK for tracking TRENDS - but they aren't truly accurate measures of lean muscle mass. They calculate lean muscle mass based on their "reading" of body fat % - which can be VERY inaccurate.

Hope that helps a bit!
Thanks scorbett! I really appreciate the info.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

You're very welcome! good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote