Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActYourselfThin View Post
If you kind of take apart the IP diet, two of the big reasons it works so well are 1) that dieters often find it easier to stick to a diet when packaged foods are involved, and 2) low-carb diets are generally pretty effective (although often hard to stick to for a long time.)

Unlike the Atkins diet, the IP diet is (to my understanding, at least) both low-carb and lower-fat. In practice, this means that you'll lose weight more quickly than with a generic Atkins diet but many people will also find they're a lot hungrier under the IP diet, and more likely to have frequent "stomach trouble" as well.

The strict IPers may flame me for what I'm about to say, but I've lost at least 35 pounds on seven different occasions, so I've earned my stripes enough to say I'm learning to be more concerned with finding something I can live with long-term than just getting the weight off (so I can pack it right back on again.)

My advice would be to add in a little extra fat with your meals. Yes, it's a no-no with IP, but I think you may find your diet much more liveable. A *small* handful of almonds or walnuts, or maybe a 1-oz piece of cheese, possibly even just at the morning meal, may be worth a shot. Also, I don't know how much fiber you're getting, but if it's not a lot then even a small fiber supplement might go a long way.

Just remember: Some diets are very strict, but most of that strictness is to keep people from sabotaging their weight-loss without realizing they're doing it. It's OK to tinker with even a "strict" diet if it means the difference between meeting your goals or missing them.

I wish you luck! I know you'll find a way to make it work, whether it's through experimentation or just pure willpower alone.
No flames from me, either. I lost 100 on Atkins. I know it works but I also know I never learned to maintain and I wasn't getting myself back on and needed something more regimented. It was too much freedom for me. I researched the HECK out of healthy living plans and the more I've read, the more I've learned that saturated fats are NOT the enemy. For this reason, the one tweak I often make to my IP plan is the type of fat and I'm not super strict on measuring the amounts.

I'm not a fryer so I don't have to worry about adding too much. But vegetable fats aren't the ones I'd call the healthiest for proper balancing of 3/6/9. Most of us are deficient in 3 and have an abundance of 6 & 9 which can increase inflammation. I eat fatty fish occasionally (salmon) because the health benefit outweighs the fat content.

Long story to say I sometimes use coconut oil or (horrors!) bacon grease instead of olive or grapeseed oil. And I might get an extra tsp from time-to-time. But really, after doing Atkins, I know its the carbs (and for me, excess food in general) and not the fats per-se that are the contributing factor to my obesity. The olive oil remains my go-to for salad dressings but from my reading, really shouldn't be used for cooking, which is why I choose other fats that also won't throw off 3/6/9 ratios.

I have NOT added cheese or butter as the IP protocol does not call for dairy in Phase 1. Same for nuts. I'm afraid if I start doing too many "tweaks" then I'm no longer on the program. Adding a little variety of fats is about all I do. But I do remember on Atkins that if people weren't losing, (after several weeks), it was suggested to try increasing fat just a tad. The body responds to changes.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #17  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
Sometimes I'll add a few tablespoons of chopped veggies into a frying pan, sautee, and add the egg whites. Egg scramble! Definitely a good little meal to fill you up.
So this is permitted in addition to what we are allowed to eat each day? That's cool.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #18  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I had a super hungry week and after a few days of white knuckling, I amped up my lettuce! I ate ALL of my meals on top of a Big Ol Salad (Well, I called it a BAS). My meat, my planned veggies, everything went on top of a big bed of lettuce. It helped.
Now, if I have a hungry few hours, a BAS is in the works for the next meal (and those chicken patties work really good on a bed of lettuce, too, along WITH your other planned veggies).

And wuv is right about the salt. You shouldn't be shaking or light headed. Are you getting all your salt AND fat?
Definitely yes on on the fat and I am using the sea salt twice a day just maybe not the amount recommended. I don't measure it but I do sprinkle it on.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #19  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
So this is permitted in addition to what we are allowed to eat each day? That's cool.
As long as you keep it to a couple of tablespoons it doesn't really add much in terms of calories. Just make sure you don't add too many "extras" in a day (including veggie cheese, walden farms, sweeteners, etc) and you're good
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #20  
Back for a tweak

YAY I DID IT!!! I scrambled up 1/4 cup egg whites with some veggies. First time I ever cooked an egg white LOL. Thanks for the tip!!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #21  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
YAY I DID IT!!! I scrambled up 1/4 cup egg whites with some veggies. First time I ever cooked an egg white LOL. Thanks for the tip!!
[COLOR="Indigo"][Congrats!/COLOR]....lol...the little things that get us excited
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #22  
Back for a tweak

Oh man I'm just starving again. I have to revisit this to ask if anyone else gets this? Every night after 9:00 pm until bedtime I actually suffer from hunger. I just figured it had to be normal and that everyone went through it. I do have tea but it doesn't help.

But now I'm thinking about what you said Wuv - is this actually not normal? I don't know what else to do because I'm following the program to a tee.

Yet I feel like I must be doing something wrong if I'm starving all the time and you guys aren't. My coach is concerned but doesn't know what to do and just asked me to try to get through it.

Any advice, suggestions or feedback?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
I bought a box of egg whites but had no idea what to do with them LOL - I should give that a try. I never really cooked much before getting on this program - it's making me learn to cook - which is a good thing!

Are we allowed an actual whole egg on top of our protein allowance or is it either or - which would explan the egg whites only as a snack.

I just wanted to do gum/mints for the icky ketosis breath.
There are recipes that are pretty simple to do with the IP packages and egg whites and a magic bullet.
They really fill you up better.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #24  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Some of the responses in this thread are rediculous.

There is a big difference between the OP having a few lbs to lose and someone who is 400 lbs.

That difference is leptin.

One of the primary drivers of hunger is leptin. The less body fat one has the lower their leptin levels.

Another major driver of hunger for most people is activity. This is why phase one should not include a lot of exercise.

In my opinion someone like the OP who does not have a lot of weight to lose is better off with a different weight loss program for the exact reason the OP is experiencing.

A little bit of veggies and some egg whites will do nothing for hunger for someone who has low leptin levels. In about 30 minutes the hunger will come roaring back.

To the OP - the only thing I can tell you is that you either need to suck it up or do something else. When you don't have much to lose you need to lose it slowly or else your hormones will get involved ... just like yours are.

You may want to consider an EOD type of diet. One day you eat PSMF style (which is IP phase 1) and the next day you eat around maintinence calories. You only workout on maintinence days and you do eat back your exercise calories.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #25  
Back for a tweak

Well John you are right again - that's exactly what happens - I eat whatever it is and 30-60 minutes later I'm famished. I had to look up some articles on leptin - that was all new to me but they reiterated what you said.

So I guess I'll suck it up now that I know why the hunger hits me a bit harder than some. I committed myself to IP and seeing that I don't have a lot more to lose I'll persevere.

I'd still rather deal with this hunger than the half pound losses with Weight Watchers. The programs you mentioned sound good, but alas I'll stick this out.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #26  

I have my egg whites every morning! I let it cook flat then roll it like a tortilla! hahaha sometimes I put veggies in there too.(6:20am) Right now it holds me until my mid morning shake around 9:30.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #27  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
I have my egg whites every morning! I let it cook flat then roll it like a tortilla! hahaha sometimes I put veggies in there too.(6:20am) Right now it holds me until my mid morning shake around 9:30.
Yeah 9:30 is my BF time too and always have been. I'm not a morning person and nothing will ever change that. I get up at 7:30 to be to work by 8:30 (10 min drive) and don't have time for anything. I have my coffee and BF at work.

I used to have half a glass of Tropicana orange juice on my way out the door and I miss that more than ANYTHING - it was enough to tide me over till I got to work and was so refreshing. I'm looking forward to having that back in my life more than anything!

Last edited by slow2lose; 10-13-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #28  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
So I guess I'll suck it up now that I know why the hunger hits me a bit harder than some. I committed myself to IP and seeing that I don't have a lot more to lose I'll persevere.
Lyle Mcdonald only reccomends someone with your body fat stay on this kind of program for 4-6 weeks. So while I don't know what an IP coach would say I'd reccomend you not be on phase 1 for a long time.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #29  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Lyle Mcdonald only reccomends someone with your body fat stay on this kind of program for 4-6 weeks. So while I don't know what an IP coach would say I'd reccomend you not be on phase 1 for a long time.
I totally agree - I was thinking the exact same thing - 4-6 weeks - that's always been my plan for Phase 1.