Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

I am very thankful that slow2lose started this thread. The debate was great and helpful. I felt all the same ways about the food and the cooking. I don't know what I will do when BBQ season is over. Spices were very new to me and most of the recipes shared I will never try to make. I try to keep my cooking simple because it is so frustrating to throw out dinner.

So what I do...
I BBQ most everything that is meat. I rotate to not get too bored, steak, chicken, pork, shrimp, and fish. Sometime I slow cook a beef roast.
I eat salad for lunch and veggie stir fry for supper. Supper is where I get my oil on the veggies. I use fresh garlic, packaged veggie spices (same brand as Montreal steak or chicken spice), ginger and sometimes soya sauce. I change what I put for spices all the time just watch the ingredients so no sugar or wheat etc. You can buy garlic and ginger pre minced so it is very easy to use. I keep boiled eggs in the fridge for when I can't stomach the meat anymore.

I hope that gives you some ideas slow2lose! Best wishes!
rofl306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 217.8/ticker/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
Well I was on Weight Watchers for 4 months before I started this. I only lost half a pound a week, maybe now I'm starting to see why.

I never cooked. Ever. I'd usually have cereal or toast for BF, Lean Cuisine or sandwich for lunch (yes, I'd sometimes make a sandwich), and if we did eat in - pasta with sauce - but I always measured out exactly 1 cup with 2 TBSP parmesan. I've never been much of a meat eater, I was quasi vegetarian for a while.

My husband always joked the only way to get me to eat meat was to pound it into a cube, bread it and deep fry it.

Even on the rare occasion when he would BBQ I always had to have tons of BBQ sauce. I'm Irish descent so my idea of spicy is pepper on my boiled potatoes. LOL. I am not a fan of hot and spicy food.

BUT I also lived on chicken curry with rice done with mild spices.

And for salads I liked things like nuts and shredded cheese and raisins in there more so than vegies. I loved carrots. I like cooked vegies way more so than raw - with butter poured on them.

Since you asked. . . . ;-)

I feel for you! I am the same way. I only like a few veggies. I am broccoli end out! I'm only on week 4. Try stuffing a portebello mushroom cap with ground beef and seasonings. Tonite I am making a slow cooker pork tenderloin in salsa verde (green tomato sauce). I put pickles and banana peppers in my salads. Rainbowsmiles has a thread, mixn in the kitchen. Se has wonderful recipes. She helped get me through. There are so many things you can do. It just takes imagination. Stay focused and encouraged!
szzanni86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #33  

S/C/G: H 225/ S 205/ C 197.5/ TBD

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
Oh! I didn't catch that! Actually slow2lose weighs 123 now...within the recommended healthy range. Still, it would benefit to learn how to prepare healthy meals without all sorts of additives.
If she truely is only 5 ft she is just barely in the healthy range for BMI. BMI should not be the only tool you use to gauge when you are at a healthy weight for you. I can understand how you might think it is laughable when you compare her weight loss needs to your own or mine, but if she truely feels that she isn't healthy yet, that's her right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I'm kinda surprised - usually I find folks here to be supportive. Just because someone is closer to their goal weight or doesn't have as much to lose, it doesn't mean they have any less of a right to be here and ask questions. It's disappointing.
I agree. If you must laugh about someone keep it to yourself.

Last edited by warmheart; 09-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
warmheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmheart View Post
If she truely is only 5 ft she is just barely in the healthy range for BMI. BMI should not be the only tool you use to gauge when you are at a healthy weight for you. I can understand how you might think it is laughable when you compare her weight loss needs to your own or mine, but if she truely feels that she isn't healthy yet, that's her right.

I agree. If you must laugh about someone keep it to yourself.
Aside from that; for our own goal weights we have to realize that for women age changes what is the target range.

What is ideal at age 19 is not best at age 50 for example. Also bone structure etc etc.

Not one can follow a plan that makes them choke and gag and expect it to result in a plan that can be used in maintaining.

So the question; is this a good plan for someone who has so little to lose and hates the food? Personally I love the food and found the convenience hard to give up when moving into maintaining.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 09-26-2012 at 04:32 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #35  

S/C/G: H 225/ S 205/ C 197.5/ TBD

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Aside from that; for our own goal weights we have to realize that for women age changes what is the target range.

What is ideal at age 19 is not best at age 50 for example. Also bone structure etc etc.

Not one can follow a plan that makes them choke and gag and expect it to result in a plan that can be used in maintaining.

So the question; is this a good plan for someone who has so little to lose and hates the food? Personally I love the food and found the convenience hard to give up when moving into maintaining.

Pat
Thanks Pat. Well said. This may not be the right plan for her, but that is for her to decide. This is suposed to be a place for suport, not place to be judged or ridiculed. We get that enough elsewhere.
warmheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 248/213/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I'm failing miserably here. It's not the hunger, the water or the supplements - which is what I thought I'd struggle with - it's the food - both IP and normal.

We all know I can't cook for ****, but I'm trying. I think to some degree it's what we have to work with. Last night I tried ground beef stir fried with veggies and tonight the exact same thing with chicken. It's so disgusting I'd rather starve than eat it. There is no flavour.

I fried up a cut up chicken breast and then added broccoli, green onions, garlic, etc and added some soy sauce and it's HORRIBLE. I actually gagged when I tried to eat it and had to spit it out.

How do I make this edible? Its day 2 and I'm already sick of broccoli and sweet peppers.

Sorry to be such a complainer - I really want this to work but I need to be able eat without gagging. I'm so used to breading and sauces.

Slow -- for the record I in no way was tr trying to ridicule or laugh at you. I seriously thought you were being funny and was empathizing with the situation (in SUPPORT of a vent) I apologize to you and to all the others that were offended. That certainly was not the intention.
Rhonduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #37  

Quote:
I'm failing miserably here. It's not the hunger, the water or the supplements - which is what I thought I'd struggle with - it's the food - both IP and normal.

We all know I can't cook for ****, but I'm trying. I think to some degree it's what we have to work with. Last night I tried ground beef stir fried with veggies and tonight the exact same thing with chicken. It's so disgusting I'd rather starve than eat it. There is no flavour.

I fried up a cut up chicken breast and then added broccoli, green onions, garlic, etc and added some soy sauce and it's HORRIBLE. I actually gagged when I tried to eat it and had to spit it out.

How do I make this edible? Its day 2 and I'm already sick of broccoli and sweet peppers.

Sorry to be such a complainer - I really want this to work but I need to be able eat without gagging. I'm so used to breading and sauces.

I know how you feel. I use to love Chinese take out and Thai food. They knew me at the restaurants. To me "cook" was a "four-letter word". I've tried a couple of salmon dishes and made a fat-free ham (all very good). I used a good cookbook and modified the recipes to exclude sugar.

What about a roasted chicken? Can you get this at your local grocer? I took the skin off.

BTW - you aren't complaining, you are asking for support!

Have you look at the thread from Finnsteven? He has lots of good recipes in there.

We also have a local business that helps you prepare meals and send you home with multiple prepared meals. That might be an option if you could make IP friendly meals?? I haven't tried this but might look into it.

One last word- I have made a few gag meals myself in the last
couple of weeks. I just threw it out and started over.
Willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #38  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I have said this many many times but I will say it again....time to pull up your big girl/boy panties and DO THIS....either you want this or you don't...the CHOICE is YOURS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grannypanties.jpg (32.4 KB, 6 views)
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #39  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

QUOTE=wuv2bloved;4480993]I have said this many many times but I will say it again....time to pull up your big girl/boy panties and DO THIS....either you want this or you don't...the CHOICE is YOURS[/QUOTE]

oH....MAH...GOSH...ROFL that picture totally made my night!!!

scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #40  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
QUOTE=wuv2bloved;4480993]I have said this many many times but I will say it again....time to pull up your big girl/boy panties and DO THIS....either you want this or you don't...the CHOICE is YOURS
oH....MAH...GOSH...ROFL that picture totally made my night!!!

[/QUOTE]
LMAOOOOO.....do I NOT SAY THAT ALL THE TIME????
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #41  
Started IP 5/16/2016

S/C/G: 220/220/165

Height: 5'6

AMEN!

Preach!

The diet is strict, and can be hard but geez, you really either are committed and want to lose the weight, or you dont or just aren't ready yet. There comes a time when you have to stand up for what you want.

I've had a few tough days as well - wicked bouts of constipation (which I've now resolved)- a horrible horrible first week of getting into ketosis with every symptom on the list and more - doubting myself - weeks of struggle with my gag reflex to swallow these shoe sized supplements ... but - I'm over it. Enough with the pity party I was throwing myself. None of the minor struggles I've had a relevant issue compared to the weight I lose and trying to be the healthiest I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
I have said this many many times but I will say it again....time to pull up your big girl/boy panties and DO THIS....either you want this or you don't...the CHOICE is YOURS
marlenesuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #42  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

To the people who were supportive and caring and had valuable tips to share, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yesterday was only Day 2 for me on the program, and I am still ironing out the kinks, so I was a bit hurt by some of the replies - it's not like I've been at this for long - and 2 days isn't enough time to judge anything. I paid my fees, bought my first week of food, and wanted to get at least that far into the program before I decided to throw in the towel.

Thankfully my coach is a sweetie and really helped me out today, and I had the best day I've had on the program - even though she gave me a heads up that for many people Day 3 can be a tough one - it's been my best so far.

Thanks to some of the suggestions, I did buy a George Foreman grill - only $40 at Walmart and it was the best $40 I ever spent - perfect tasty and healthy chicken in 9 minutes. I also looked for some of the chicken seasonings and bought some of those and they were great for making the chicken tasty.

I also had 3 IP meals today that really liked - the cappucino drink, the chicken patties and the chocolate chip cookies.

So things are looking up - just need some time.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Well there you go! I hated the chicken patties so you have come a long way already.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #44  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

Quote:
To the people who were supportive and caring and had valuable tips to share, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yesterday was only Day 2 for me on the program, and I am still ironing out the kinks, so I was a bit hurt by some of the replies - it's not like I've been at this for long - and 2 days isn't enough time to judge anything. I paid my fees, bought my first week of food, and wanted to get at least that far into the program before I decided to throw in the towel.

Thankfully my coach is a sweetie and really helped me out today, and I had the best day I've had on the program - even though she gave me a heads up that for many people Day 3 can be a tough one - it's been my best so far.

Thanks to some of the suggestions, I did buy a George Foreman grill - only $40 at Walmart and it was the best $40 I ever spent - perfect tasty and healthy chicken in 9 minutes. I also looked for some of the chicken seasonings and bought some of those and they were great for making the chicken tasty.

I also had 3 IP meals today that really liked - the cappucino drink, the chicken patties and the chocolate chip cookies.

So things are looking up - just need some time.
You made it through day 3!! Congratulations!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

You have officially made it through the worst!!

For the first few days, while I was trying different packets, I was thinking omg... What the heck am I eating... But now it's all second nature. I actually love it's limitations because I don't have to think hard about what to make.

Keep on truckin'!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote